Jazz

Wonder if any of y'all would find this interesting. In Sheeps Clothing (which used to a beautiful hi-fi listening lounge/japanse whisky speakeasy/record store here in LA pre-covid) have announced they're getting into the record pressing business, their first release is a jazz session recorded exclusively for them with Pino Palladino, Sam Gendel and Blake Mills. I just pre-ordered on good faith, I know the guys over at ISC and they're great guys passionate about great sound and hi-fi recordings, I can't imagine they won't do this session justice. Check it out. If this was already posted, apologies!

Perhaps more exciting: this may be an ongoing series called ISC Hi-Fi Selects, the guys behind ISC have wonderful curation and taste.

Wonder if any of y'all would find this interesting. In Sheeps Clothing (which used to a beautiful hi-fi listening lounge/japanse whisky speakeasy/record store here in LA pre-covid) have announced they're getting into the record pressing business, their first release is a jazz session recorded exclusively for them with Pino Palladino, Sam Gendel and Blake Mills. I just pre-ordered on good faith, I know the guys over at ISC and they're great guys passionate about great sound and hi-fi recordings, I can't imagine they won't do this session justice. Check it out. If this was already posted, apologies!

Perhaps more exciting: this may be an ongoing series called ISC Hi-Fi Selects, the guys behind ISC have wonderful curation and taste.
I love ISC for many reasons — curation, store, playlists, articles, and I’m very envious of folks like you who get to see them in person, especially the rooftop listening parties they did last year.

I pre-ordered this release last week when they posted on Instagram but appreciate you brining something like this here. It’s super chill music.

I love ISC for many reasons — curation, store, playlists, articles, and I’m very envious of folks like you who get to see them in person, especially the rooftop listening parties they did last year.

I pre-ordered this release last week when they posted on Instagram but appreciate you brining something like this here. It’s super chill music.
Agreed, they've actually just started having more in-person events recently that I plan on attending in the near future. I was happy to see how far they went to keep the commitment to hi-fi listening alive in COVID. They didn't let the shuttering of their space close them down for long, says a lot about them. Their playlists are always sublime as well.

I want to make sure brands that deserve the love are getting seen! Trying to convince them to start an account here, I know this forum would love what they do especially now that they're pressing/curating releases.

Saw this one the other week too. The Pino/Blake album is excellent. Been trying to cut back on vinyl purchases but this one has been open in a tab in my background for the past week begging for me to buy it haha

Earlier I looked through Discogs to see if there had been any notable jumps in sold prices in recent months. It was the sessions on smaller or less obvious labels (i.e. not Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Impulse!, etc) that had seen the biggest jump and I think this might be the start of something we will be seeing in the future.

There are a few Instagram accounts I follow that post eBay sold listings that went for significantly higher or lower than average (Jazz Collector | For Those Who Love Jazz | eBay auction results for Classic Jazz LPs is another example) and I have noticed that albums released on the likes of Steeplechase, New Jazz, Clef, Fantasy, etc are starting to appear often. One theory I have is that this is linked to the outrageous prices that the more mainstream collectable records (Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Impulse!, etc) now go for as standard. It used to be that an expensive Blue Note was close to the £100 mark and now that seems to be the going rate for any of them. Someone posted a Jimmy Smith record that sold for close to £90 the other day, that was a £10-15 record at the most just a few years ago.

With this being the case, perhaps collectors (I'm not a fan of that term btw as it makes it sound like people buy without caring for the music, which I suppose might be the case sometimes though) are seeking less obvious labels as cheaper alternatives which still feature A-list musicians. The examples that I posted on the 'That Escalated Quickly' thread were both on Savoy. Introducing Lee Morgan which has seen a £140 jump in approx 2.5years and The Curtis Fuller Jazztet which has seen a £90 jump in a similar timeframe.

Its an obvious statement but the hobby really is becoming unaffordable. I started out buying records for 50p a pop at carboot sales because no one wanted the "dead format" and now look at it. Thank god there are still affordable reissues (although dont get me started on the price jump of those!!!)

Rant over. 🤣

Earlier I looked through Discogs to see if there had been any notable jumps in sold prices in recent months. It was the sessions on smaller or less obvious labels (i.e. not Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Impulse!, etc) that had seen the biggest jump and I think this might be the start of something we will be seeing in the future.

and The Curtis Fuller Jazztet which has seen a £90 jump in a similar timeframe.

Rant over. 🤣
this explains why I haven’t been able to find a good copy of The Curtis Fuller Jazztet at a decent price.

There are a few Instagram accounts I follow that post eBay sold listings that went for significantly higher or lower than average (Jazz Collector | For Those Who Love Jazz | eBay auction results for Classic Jazz LPs is another example) and I have noticed that albums released on the likes of Steeplechase, New Jazz, Clef, Fantasy, etc are starting to appear often. One theory I have is that this is linked to the outrageous prices that the more mainstream collectable records (Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Impulse!, etc) now go for as standard. It used to be that an expensive Blue Note was close to the £100 mark and now that seems to be the going rate for any of them. Someone posted a Jimmy Smith record that sold for close to £90 the other day, that was a £10-15 record at the most just a few years ago.

With this being the case, perhaps collectors (I'm not a fan of that term btw as it makes it sound like people buy without caring for the music, which I suppose might be the case sometimes though) are seeking less obvious labels as cheaper alternatives which still feature A-list musicians. The examples that I posted on the 'That Escalated Quickly' thread were both on Savoy. Introducing Lee Morgan which has seen a £140 jump in approx 2.5years and The Curtis Fuller Jazztet which has seen a £90 jump in a similar timeframe.

Its an obvious statement but the hobby really is becoming unaffordable. I started out buying records for 50p a pop at carboot sales because no one wanted the "dead format" and now look at it. Thank god there are still affordable reissues (although dont get me started on the price jump of those!!!)

Rant over. 🤣
Agree. What's happening is that 10 to 15 years ago, the vinyl revival was among analog enthusiasts, audiophiles perhaps but music lovers who simply had got so dissatisfied with CD that they went back to the sound they love, and now that has shifted to collectors who are more thrilled by value than music, newbies with money to burn, and a number of those coming to vinyl for the cachet as well as the sound and music.
Those of us who built their collection starting 15 years ago had an abundance of choice and supply. Sure, early original Blue Notes were already high in price (driven largely by dealers like Ron Rambach who hoarded original pressings and sold them to primarily far east buyers for whom cost was not an object), but it was easy to find Classic, MOFI, Speakers Corner etc. at list price and it was fairly rare for any title to become scarce very quickly. Several years after their release, it wasn't too hard to find a Classic Zep at list price. The run of AP BN 45's never really sold out, the first Music Matters 45's were widely available and there really was no Discogs market (at one point Elusve Disc put a bunch of Music Matters titles on sale as they had too much inventory), there really was no such thing as a colored vinyl variant grab, and a weak title like Introducing Lee Morgan would sit on shelves for years. There was no VMP - the first true subscription series were AP BN and Impulse, and they did ok, but not super well.

That is when I built the core of my collection. You could get Japanese pressings for reasonable prices. You could get UK orginals for under the price of a new release, in mint conditon. There was no such thing as a One-Step, although Classic Clarity vinyl single side 45 were the creme of the crop, offering greater value than today's One-Step - and MOFI were regularly putting out new titles, not just regurgitating previously done ones as a pricey One-Step. The vast majority of the new vinyl I have was bought at straight up retail.

The notion of what is a 'classic' title has become even more narrow and conservative. Sources have become more ambiguous - when I got into this, master tapes meant analog all the way. No more.

I would not start into vinyl today. The market is just not very attractive, with collectors and investment vinyl buyers too dominant, and record labels more interested in high margin warhorses than music. Prices have gotten out of control. Had I not started when I did, this would not be a pursuit I would undertake.

Last edited:
Agree. What's happening is that 10 to 15 years ago, the vinyl revival was among analog enthusiasts, audiophiles perhaps but music lovers who simply had got so dissatisfied with CD that they went back to the sound they love, and now that has shifted to collectors who are more thrilled by value than music, newbies with money to burn, and a number of those coming to vinyl for the cachet as well as the sound and music.
Those of us who built their collection starting 15 years ago had an abundance of choice and supply. Sure, early original Blue Notes were already high in price (driven largely by dealers like Ron Rambach who hoarded original pressings and sold them to primarily far east buyers for whom cost was not an object), but it was easy to find Classic, MOFI, Speakers Corner etc. at list price and it was fairly rare for any title to become scarce very quickly. Several years after their release, it wasn't too hard to find a Classic Zep at list price. The run of AP BN 45's never really sold out, the first Music Matters 45's were widely available and there really was no Discogs market (at one point Elusve Disc put a bunch of Music Matters titles on sale as they had too much inventory), there really was no such thing as a colored vinyl variant grab, and a weak title like Introducing Lee Morgan would sit on shelves for years. There was no VMP - the first true subscription series were AP BN and Impulse, and they did ok, but not super well.

That is when I built the core of my collection. You could get Japanese pressings for reasonable prices. You could get UK orginals for under the price of a new release, in mint conditon. There was no such thing as a One-Step, although Classic Clarity vinyl single side 45 were the creme of the crop, offering greater value than today's One-Step - and MOFI were regularly putting out new titles, not just regurgitating previously done ones as a pricey One-Step. The vast majority of the new vinyl I have was bought at straight up retail.

The notion of what is a 'classic' title has become even more narrow and conservative. Sources have become more ambiguous - when I got into this, master tapes meant analog all the way. No more.

I would not start into vinyl today. The market is just not very attractive, with collectors and investment vinyl buyers too dominant, and record labels more interested in high margin warhorses that music. Prices have gotten out of control. Had I not started when I did, this would not be a pursuit I would undertake.
I just genuinely started collecting vinyl 6 years ago after 20+ years of collecting CDs. I often find that a vinyl copy is too pricey for my blood and will try to find a CD as a substitute. I do prefer the reproduction with a well-pressed vinyl to many CD variants, but the escalating costs make me lose my vinyl religion. Also, with the supply chain difficulties, loss of lacquer and pressing facilities, and increased demand on all fronts, I think this pricing will be with us for a while. Remember what oil price shocks did to vinyl in the 1970's; the remnants are still in our collections. If demand tapers to 1990's levels due to pricing and scarcity, we will all be less well-off enjoying the format.

I just genuinely started collecting vinyl 6 years ago after 20+ years of collecting CDs. I often find that a vinyl copy is too pricey for my blood and will try to find a CD as a substitute. I do prefer the reproduction with a well-pressed vinyl to many CD variants, but the escalating costs make me lose my vinyl religion. Also, with the supply chain difficulties, loss of lacquer and pressing facilities, and increased demand on all fronts, I think this pricing will be with us for a while. Remember what oil price shocks did to vinyl in the 1970's; the remnants are still in our collections. If demand tapers to 1990's levels due to pricing and scarcity, we will all be less well-off enjoying the format.

My prediction is that the first thing to die from an eventual waning of interest will be the after-market. Once that happens and there aren't any paths to glory for flippers, overall consumption/demand will drop, and the values of our collections will follow suit. I predict it won't be long before it will be tough to sell a Tone Poet, for example, for $15, primarily because everyone who would want it already has it, but also because a lot of other people who really didn't want it in the first place also bought it, and at some point they'll have to cut their losses. As long as our future well-beings are not dependent on delusions about long-term collection values, I suppose this bodes well for us.

My prediction is that the first thing to die from an eventual waning of interest will be the after-market. Once that happens and there aren't any paths to glory for flippers, overall consumption/demand will drop, and the values of our collections will follow suit. I predict it won't be long before it will be tough to sell a Tone Poet, for example, for $15, primarily because everyone who would want it already has it, but also because a lot of other people who really didn't want it in the first place also bought it, and at some point they'll have to cut their losses. As long as our future well-beings are not dependent on delusions about long-term collection values, I suppose this bodes well for us.
This is a reason why I wish the companies would proactively (or more proactively) make early announcements about future reissues, even if they have no scheduled release dates. By way of just one example, the prices for OJC versions of the Prestige series being reissued by AP should be depressed by an the announcement of that series. I’m not saying they won’t be higher than they were a year or more ago, but they should not be more than $40.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can say with some certainty that current prices (new and used) and the scarcity of many titles due to a diminishing availability of pressing plants and supplies is sure to scare off anyone who was even thinking about starting a vinyl collection. And that's not good for long-term viability.

For me the high prices of vinyl forces me to be choosy and more intentional. I tend to spend time streaming way before I buy. I miss out of stuff, but if it’s good it’ll come around before I die. Granted I also don’t fall in for the whole audio file aspect, so the really high end pressings are just not something I value.

If you missed the Craft RSD limited pressing of Quiet Kenny the OJC pressing seems like a good option, is in stock as AS, and a good order filler at the price.
FWIW, I picked up a copy of this at my local for $23 and it sounds fantastic. Would love to have the mono but not at the going rate, so this is a really nice placeholder.

Back