Jazz

Ive been on a Ornette binge ever since the Blue Note boxset was aunounced a couple of months ago. I currently own only one record of his (The Shape of Jazz to Come), but as I look online for copies of my favorite Ornette albums, there seems to be quite a shortage of quality pressings on sale.

I would be more than happy with "This is Our Music", maybe "Ornette!", "Golden Circle" and "Song X", but as I look into it I find myself considering more and more the Atlantic Boxset. I don't think I NEED that much Ornette, and I specially have little interest for the compilation albums that the label released with out his input, but 10 LP for that price, and being able to cover the most essential part of his catalogue seems like a nice deal.

Any thoughts? Does anyone here own it and can comment on the overall quality? Would I be better off buying just the records I'm interested in?

Last edited:
They really are great, I think you will enjoy these.

Out of interest did you get them somewhere in the UK? They recently announced the next issue (Joe Henderson) and I was hoping to find somewhere here that stocks them.

I did in the end. I looked at Bandcamp & Jazzmessemgers but ended up getting them from this online magazine shop. I got the first (UK) Jazz Kissa magazine from here as well. They may get other good stuff from time to time, but tbh I don't really look for magazines.

Pure Pleasure is teasing a forthcoming repress of Clifford Jordan’s Glass Bead Games. I’ve mentioned this album here before, but I think it’s worth noting again that this album and press are excellent.

In my utterly humble opinion (when it comes to jazz), this would be an all-time classic if it had been released by BN in the 60s instead of Strata East in the 70s. Two lineups across four sides: Quartet I: Jordan/Stanley Cowell/Billy Higgins/Bill Lee; Quartet II: Jordan/Cedar Walton/Sam Jones/Billy Higgins

Probably not AAA, but it sounds fantastic. Currently, for N. America N&G crew, the cheapest copy is $80 shipped to the U.S., so this should a good chance to pick it up depending on PP’s pricing for a double LP.

Attachments

• 1644519869335.png
    1644519869335.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Pure Pleasure is teasing a forthcoming repress of Clifford Jordan’s Glass Bead Games. I’ve mentioned this album here before, but I think it’s worth noting again that this album and press are excellent.

In my utterly humble opinion (when it comes to jazz), this would be an all-time classic if it had been released by BN in the 60s instead of Strata East in the 70s. Two lineups across four sides: Quartet I: Jordan/Stanley Cowell/Billy Higgins/Bill Lee; Quartet II: Jordan/Cedar Walton/Sam Jones/Billy Higgins

Probably not AAA, but it sounds fantastic. Currently, for N. America N&G crew, the cheapest copy is $80 shipped to the U.S., so this should a good chance to pick it up depending on PP’s pricing for a double LP.

Great album, interesting concept as well. I thought all the Pure Pleasure titles were AAA? I'm probably wrong.

I think all Speakers Corner are AAA but not all PP. The hype sticker on PP records usually informs if it's all analog or not.
I think you're right. Aooarantly they have become decidedly unclear on sources.

Great little blog write up here about the album and comparison to the OG. I have never heard the OG, and unless I start playing the lottery I'm unlikely to own a copy. But without reservation would recommend a copy of the PP version, even if it was a needle drop.

I have the Superfly pressing which is great.

When Pure Pleasure initially released the first run it was listed as AAA on their website, but I'm not sure if that was taken down. To be honest though in these situations I usually just go with the view that if people are unsure even after listening, then its good enough to not matter.

I have the Superfly pressing which is great.

When Pure Pleasure initially released the first run it was listed as AAA on their website, but I'm not sure if that was taken down. To be honest though in these situations I usually just go with the view that if people are unsure even after listening, then its good enough to not matter.

You have a better memory than me, but I bought the first PP pressing and did think it was a AAA pressing. I really enjoyed it, and never crossed my mind to question that it might not be. Regardless of provenance, it's well worth the the £40

I think you're right. Aooarantly they have become decidedly unclear on sources.

Great little blog write up here about the album and comparison to the OG. I have never heard the OG, and unless I start playing the lottery I'm unlikely to own a copy. But without reservation would recommend a copy of the PP version, even if it was a needle drop.

I forgot about that write up. I read it last year and now remember how much I love the inscription inside that OG. I’d want it just for that. Regardless of what he says about the superior sound of the OG, he’s clearly happy w/ the sound of PP. It’s not as good as a $500 ultra-rare original.

Just listening to this from Mad About. I'm sure it was a recommendation from someone on here. Fantastic album, great pressing & Mad about have upped their game on the packaging. Great purchase.

Thanks @Andy - I felt inspired by your post and ordered a copy of this and the Jothan Callins & The Sounds Of Togetherness due later this month as a birthday present to myself.

Back