Jazz

Total Refreshment Records emailed me this earlier. Just got around to listening to the preview track and it fucking kicks.

@Captainfog @Selaws @phramenma @Skalap you gots to hear this one.
I saw this as well and was trying to convince myself I didnt need it, but like you said it absolutely kills!

Anyone seen a Nubya Garcia show recently? Seeing her tonight and I’m full of excitement and anticipation!

I saw her a couple weeks ago and shes phenomenal. I follow her on instagram and when she was preparing for her US tour she filled her suitcases up with merch (vinyl) so hopefully you will be able to pick something up if you dont already have it!

I got an email last night from the venue 'The Jazz Cafe' in Camden, London. Its one of my favorite venues and I was excited to see that Charles Tolliver And His All Stars will be performing 'Paper Man' in full. I started looking at the rest of the acts this year and its pretty phenomenal:

Sam Wilkes & Jason Mann's UK Debut - Sam Wilkes' 'WILKES' was released last year (I know a few of you picked it up) and is pretty decent.
Yazz Ahmed +Rosie Turton Quintet & Alina Bzhezhinska - Yazz Ahmed released 'La Saboteuse' a while back and Rosie Turton's 'Rosie's 5ive' is fantastic. Unfamiliar with Alina Bzhezhinska and she is opening with a harp solo.
Sun Ra Arkestra - Led by band leader Marshall Allen
Charles Tolliver & His All Stars - Buster Williams on Bass (Herbie Hancocks 70's band) and Lenny White on drums (Chick Corea's fusion group 'Return to Forever')
Joe McPhee & Ill Considered - This will be a great show. A legendary artist combined with a rising London group!
Cassie Kinoshi & SEED Ensemble - I saw Cassie Kinoshi & SEED Ensemble perform earlier in the year and it was up there as one of the best performances I have seen live in a long time!
Cykada - Their S/T release went down really well on this thread if I remember correctly.
Billy Cobham - Killer drummer that worked with Miles Davis and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Surely up there as one of the best fusion drummers?

I'm going to the SEED Ensemble night with my wife. Having dinner there.
You are in for a treat, they are fantastic! I really want to eat at the restaurant while an acts on, the view from the table area looks great. Im tempted by Charles Tolliver but its pretty expensive all in......although it is pay day :oops:

I'm going to the SEED Ensemble night with my wife. Having dinner there.

You’ll love it. Food’s good, view is great.

This was Robohands and Terrence Blanchard from up there:

23FBAEE8-17EA-499C-8726-6A32AF7948EF.jpeg

A6456E77-A9B0-4D82-AC50-628E24D09AE5.jpeg

You are in for a treat, they are fantastic! I really want to eat at the restaurant while an acts on, the view from the table area looks great. Im tempted by Charles Tolliver but its pretty expensive all in......although it is pay day :oops:

Damn, a few you listed are very tempting. Will take a look at dates, cheers.

Some good shits there !
I got an email last night from the venue 'The Jazz Cafe' in Camden, London. Its one of my favorite venues and I was excited to see that Charles Tolliver And His All Stars will be performing 'Paper Man' in full. I started looking at the rest of the acts this year and its pretty phenomenal:

Sam Wilkes & Jason Mann's UK Debut - Sam Wilkes' 'WILKES' was released last year (I know a few of you picked it up) and is pretty decent.
Yazz Ahmed +Rosie Turton Quintet & Alina Bzhezhinska - Yazz Ahmed released 'La Saboteuse' a while back and Rosie Turton's 'Rosie's 5ive' is fantastic. Unfamiliar with Alina Bzhezhinska and she is opening with a harp solo.
Sun Ra Arkestra - Led by band leader Marshall Allen
Charles Tolliver & His All Stars - Buster Williams on Bass (Herbie Hancocks 70's band) and Lenny White on drums (Chick Corea's fusion group 'Return to Forever')
Joe McPhee & Ill Considered - This will be a great show. A legendary artist combined with a rising London group!
Cassie Kinoshi & SEED Ensemble - I saw Cassie Kinoshi & SEED Ensemble perform earlier in the year and it was up there as one of the best performances I have seen live in a long time!
Cykada - Their S/T release went down really well on this thread if I remember correctly.
Billy Cobham - Killer drummer that worked with Miles Davis and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Surely up there as one of the best fusion drummers?

You’ll love it. Food’s good, view is great.

This was Robohands and Terrence Blanchard from up there:

View attachment 8905

View attachment 8906

Damn, a few you listed are very tempting. Will take a look at dates, cheers.
No worries. Out of interest have you ever been to Cafe Oto in Dalston? Its an amazing little venue (I mean tiny!!) that specializes in free-jazz / experimental jazz, which I imagine would be right up your street?

I saw the Ghanaian funk musician Ata Kak perform there a while ago now and its a hilariously casual set up, just a one-step raised 'stage' area. Him and his band walked through the crowd to get on 'stage' then after just walked through and mingled with people. Fantastic stuff.

No worries. Out of interest have you ever been to Cafe Oto in Dalston? Its an amazing little venue (I mean tiny!!) that specializes in free-jazz / experimental jazz, which I imagine would be right up your street?

I saw the Ghanaian funk musician Ata Kak perform there a while ago now and its a hilariously casual set up, just a one-step raised 'stage' area. Him and his band walked through the crowd to get on 'stage' then after just walked through and mingled with people. Fantastic stuff.

I haven’t. Unfortunately Dalston is a real pain in the arse to get to and from using public transport where I live. I saw that Joe McPhee did a week long residency there and would have loved to catch that. I like that they have a record shop too. I’ll make it there someday I’m sure.

OK Jazz heads, help me out here. I grew up hearing Big Band and New Orleans Jazz. My parents were married during WWII, so there was always Goodman, Miller, Louis Armstrong, etc around, but I didn't hear much 50's and 60s Jazz. I later discovered Gypsy Jazz and have listened to a lot of it, but I want to branch out. I picked up Coltrane's Blue Train and Brubeck's Time Out. Then got Bill Evans' Portrait In Jazz, (really like that jazz piano sound), so where should I go next?

OK Jazz heads, help me out here. I grew up hearing Big Band and New Orleans Jazz. My parents were married during WWII, so there was always Goodman, Miller, Louis Armstrong, etc around, but I didn't hear much 50's and 60s Jazz. I later discovered Gypsy Jazz and have listened to a lot of it, but I want to branch out. I picked up Coltrane's Blue Train and Brubeck's Time Out. Then got Bill Evans' Portrait In Jazz, (really like that jazz piano sound), so where should I go next?

If you like piano jazz then head for Thelonious Monk :)

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'

Listen to this and if you like it get almost anything by Mingus

Just got home from seeing The Randy Villars Band @Levitt Pavilion. For those that don’t know, Levitt have 7 locations in the U.S. and have 3 or 4 free concerts a week during the summer. It’s locally sponsored and the lineups are really eclectic, ranging from jazz,pop,bluegrass, funk, soul,classical, country etc. Designed to introduce peeps to new music.
I can’t remember all the cities, but LA has one, Sioux Falls and more.
Randy Villar is a Sax player from Cincinnati,been around a long time. Played all original composition s tonight, post bop with some fusion thrown in. Bass, lead guitar and a drummer. Great stuff! Look em up if they’re playing your city.

Just got home from seeing The Randy Villars Band @Levitt Pavilion. For those that don’t know, Levitt have 7 locations in the U.S. and have 3 or 4 free concerts a week during the summer. It’s locally sponsored and the lineups are really eclectic, ranging from jazz,pop,bluegrass, funk, soul,classical, country etc. Designed to introduce peeps to new music.
I can’t remember all the cities, but LA has one, Sioux Falls and more.
Randy Villar is a Sax player from Cincinnati,been around a long time. Played all original composition s tonight, post bop with some fusion thrown in. Bass, lead guitar and a drummer. Great stuff! Look em up if they’re playing your city.

That's cool! I know about the one here in LA but had no idea it was a national thing.

Back