Jazz

Regarding the Craft One-Step Lateef, I talked to the USPS Office Manager in Fox Valley, IL (where these are all supposedly sitting, per Craft's Customer Service response). She had mentioned they had zero mail backup at the moment, and they did not have them. She had said that since the tracking number wasn't physically scanned into their system, she could not locate the package. She had also mentioned that she would check with other nearby hubs for the package. Basically it seems like Craft is full of shit and is trying to blame it on USPS delay.
I have a package with the same status that is not from craft but at Fox Valley. It is also a second city prints distributed album. Not for nothing but Fox Valley is probably the ones full of shit. The other possibility is that the items were forwarded on with out being scanned.

I think I may have mentioned this in here before, but if not... this is not an unusual status from the last year and it is not unusual for the status to be the same for a while.

I have a package with the same status that is not from craft but at Fox Valley. It is also a second city prints distributed album. Not for nothing but Fox Valley is probably the ones full of shit. The other possibility is that the items were forwarded on with out being scanned.

I think I may have mentioned this in here before, but if not... this is not an unusual status from the last year and it is not unusual for the status to be the same for a while.
I've been buying and selling records for years using Media Mail. Even moreso during the pandemic due to all the lockdowns. I've never observed this Pending Acceptance status until this recent Craft order. I actually had to look up what it meant after the tracking didn't update for a week.

Hope it turns out for the best for everyone.

I've been buying and selling records for years using Media Mail. Even moreso during the pandemic due to all the lockdowns. I've never observed this Pending Acceptance status until this recent Craft order. I actually had to look up what it meant after the tracking didn't update for a week.

Hope it turns out for the best for everyone.
My Sarah Jarosz record that I mentioned above:
7B0A06F6-2E73-4C45-8446-BD438C629BA7.jpeg
The Adrian Younge record I received yesterday:
41CDDADD-F048-45B7-A230-80D7BAC7E18E.png
That’s two of the total of six incoming packages I had yesterday that hit that status at some point during transit. Everyone’s mileage varies. Fox Valley (I get something that routes through there about four times a year), seems to have the hardest time with it.

All of my packages show up eventually.

Got up early and went to my local carboot sale before work today. Picked out quite a lot of jazz records (plus 2 box sets!), a jazz book, and this poster for the Berlin Jazz Festival 1968. Likely a repro/print but looks really cool and a perfect size. The seller wanted a fiver for it in a frame but when I asked how much just for the poster he said I could have it for a couple quid, so I couldn't say no!

IMG_0207.JPG

Got up early and went to my local carboot sale before work today. Picked out quite a lot of jazz records (plus 2 box sets!), a jazz book, and this poster for the Berlin Jazz Festival 1968. Likely a repro/print but looks really cool and a perfect size. The seller wanted a fiver for it in a frame but when I asked how much just for the poster he said I could have it for a couple quid, so I couldn't say no!

View attachment 99049

Car boots near you are a lot more interesting than the ones round here :)

Car boots near you are a lot more interesting than the ones round here :)
Pretty good one today I have to admit. The one near me tends to me mainly house clearances so a lot of the time it's either nothing or quite a bit.

There's also sometimes a handful of record sellers that just use carboots to get rid of stock they have had sitting around. I picked up an OJC of John Jenkins - Jenkins, Jordan And Timmons for £3 from a record seller today. He said he has tons of jazz sitting at home because 'no ones interested in that stuff'. So hopefully he brings more next time.

My Sarah Jarosz record that I mentioned above:
View attachment 99020
The Adrian Younge record I received yesterday:
View attachment 99021
That’s two of the total of six incoming packages I had yesterday that hit that status at some point during transit. Everyone’s mileage varies. Fox Valley (I get something that routes through there about four times a year), seems to have the hardest time with it.

All of my packages show up eventually.
I have the same Jarosz ordered. I'll @ you when I get it in. I've got the same status that you do on this one.

No movement on mine either, but this gives me great hope. BTW, do we know that there are 500 missing, or is that an assumption? Seems reasonable to me, just curious.
Yes, they confirmed that there are approximately 500 in limbo.

Just got a call from Windy City's CS: they confirmed that about half the missing ones have updated tracking and they expect the other half to update soon. She said if you don't see tracking progress by Friday, to email CS. She had not heard from the post office about why these suddenly started tracking but assumes it's because they found the pallet.

I asked if Craft was still planning to send a message. She said she thought they still would. I asked if they had intended that message to have a credit or coupon code. She said she hadn't seen the message yet from them but would suggest it. Finally, I asked that she tell Craft that if/when they do more one-step $100 pressings they should not have media mail as an option and do a discounted priority mail option instead.

Update: May 13, 2021 at 6:11 am departed AURORA, IL 60502. (So apparently this was the fault of the Aurora sort facility).

Last edited:
This might be of interest to some of you. There are a couple of great film/documentaries on the late drummer Jon Hiseman's youtube that are well worth watching. Interestingly the couple lived just around the corner from me (Barbara still does) and Barbara was in my local record shop just the other day. They built a professional recording studio in their garden which is still used today.

The first is a 1979 documentary that follows Hiseman and his saxophonist wife Barbara Thompson, with some fantastic live performances and a detailed breakdown of his drum set-up (with musical examples of the use of each part for the layman).

The second is a heartwrenching documentary recorded in 2012 which follows them once again as Barbara struggles with Parkinsons disease and how she has adapted to still keep making music and playing.

Anyone have the first two (Ray Charles & Gil Evans) Acoustic Sounds UMe Verve Reissues coming this week ? Interested in how they sound.

Another random jazz fact that might interest some of you. When the Beatles hit the scene in the 60's they were generally seen as 'the enemy' by a lot of jazz musicians and fans. The new wave of pop music was starting to get traction and, as well as threatening their work, jazz musicians tended to see it as basic and poor music playing.

I was therefore quite surprised to find out that the session saxophonist that features on The Beatles 'Lady Madonna' is none other than the legendary British saxophonist and club owner, Ronnie Scott. I would love to know what Ronnie thought about playing this session, and whether he viewed it as selling out or not. Anyway, heres the track.

Another random jazz fact that might interest some of you. When the Beatles hit the scene in the 60's they were generally seen as 'the enemy' by a lot of jazz musicians and fans. The new wave of pop music was starting to get traction and, as well as threatening their work, jazz musicians tended to see it as basic and poor music playing.

I was therefore quite surprised to find out that the session saxophonist that features on The Beatles 'Lady Madonna' is none other than the legendary British saxophonist and club owner, Ronnie Scott. I would love to know what Ronnie thought about playing this session, and whether he viewed it as selling out or not. Anyway, heres the track.

Another one for you. The featured Saxophone player on The Doors Touch Me was the LA Session player Curtis Amy. Ray was a big jazz fan (Coltrane, Mingus, MJQ) and Robbie a huge admirier of Elvin Jones. You can see Amy take the solo on The Doors Smothers Brothers television appearance here:

Last edited:
Back