Jazz

I’ve got Vol 2 and Vol 8-13 on vinyl a couple of which are 2 part sets, (Japan and Blue Note) I came in on Vol 8 Japan and have bought them all since then.
Great minds. I have the 2 Blue Note and Japan sets. Then I also have Vol 1, Vol 10 (Prestige) and Vol 11 (Steeplechase).

Really nice series, I enjoy the individual track liner notes and commentary on the albums they com from. I almost always end up listening to more from those albums as a result.

That Johnny Dyani track on the Steeplechase one is sensational! Was listening to that the other week, the last one Vol 13 NOW is a 2 part one as well, it’s well worth a listen as it’s Contemporary artists, lot we’re familiar with but heaps of new discoveries as well, they are probably still available I’d imagine.
Great minds. I have the 2 Blue Note and Japan sets. Then I also have Vol 1, Vol 10 (Prestige) and Vol 11 (Steeplechase).

Really nice series, I enjoy the individual track liner notes and commentary on the albums they com from. I almost always end up listening to more from those albums as a result.

That Johnny Dyani track on the Steeplechase one is sensational! Was listening to that the other week, the last one Vol 13 NOW is a 2 part one as well, it’s well worth a listen as it’s Contemporary artists, lot we’re familiar with but heaps of new discoveries as well, they are probably still available I’d imagine.
Haha brilliant, this is the standout track for me too. I've been after the full album that its taken from for a while now but havent come across a decent copy yet.

I’ve got Vol 2 and Vol 8-13 on vinyl a couple of which are 2 part sets, (Japan and Blue Note) I came in on Vol 8 Japan and have bought them all since then.
Looks like I have 2, 8 Pt 2 (missing pt 1), 9 Pt 1 and 2, 10, 12 and 13 pt 2. Really bummed I missed out on the Islam one. I need to grab Steeplechase.

I had shipping notice for this earlier. Nice to order something and it ships within a few days, im so used to preorders!!
i still don't have a shipping notice yet haha. i'm starting to get a complex. all my orders seem to ship WAY behind most other people these days. Still waiting no Rhino for an order of in-stock items and it's almost been a month! meanwhile people who ordered after me have already gotten copies of those Rhino reissues...

i still don't have a shipping notice yet haha. i'm starting to get a complex. all my orders seem to ship WAY behind most other people these days. Still waiting no Rhino for an order of in-stock items and it's almost been a month! meanwhile people who ordered after me have already gotten copies of those Rhino reissues...
Well if its any consolation I expect you will receive yours before me. The last few times I have had shipping relatively soon but then as an international it takes its sweet time actually getting to me.

Just heard Richard Davis died yesterday , What a talent. Bass player extraordinaire , Andrew Hill Eric Dolphy , Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Pharoah Sanders - many many Jazz albums as well as his stunning contribution to Van's Astral Weeks . A few solo albums and has been involved in Education for many years now. He was 93 , so he had a good innings. I was listening to Astral Weeks a couple of weeks ago , tuning into the Bass playing, what a ride.

I see Collocutor are playing at the London Jazz Festival , are you catching them ?? Have you seen them
No, I’ve got shows on 10, 14, 15 & 17 Nov which does feasibly mean I could make Collocutor on 16 but I’m not sure my old bones can do nearly a full week of events! Currently the 16th is reserved for a foot spa! Never seen them before though. I’ll keep thinking about this one because it’s a nice venue, just a typical, old spit and sawdust boozer on the end of Shaftesbury Avenue.

Foot Spa is a Great option. A man has to have a balance .;)
No, I’ve got shows on 10, 14, 15 & 17 Nov which does feasibly mean I could make Collocutor on 16 but I’m not sure my old bones can do nearly a full week of events! Currently the 16th is reserved for a foot spa! Never seen them before though. I’ll keep thinking about this one because it’s a nice venue, just a typical, old spit and sawdust boozer on the end of Shaftesbury Avenue.

Just heard Richard Davis died yesterday , What a talent. Bass player extraordinaire , Andrew Hill Eric Dolphy , Joe Henderson, Bobby Hutcherson, Pharoah Sanders - many many Jazz albums as well as his stunning contribution to Van's Astral Weeks . A few solo albums and has been involved in Education for many years now. He was 93 , so he had a good innings. I was listening to Astral Weeks a couple of weeks ago , tuning into the Bass playing, what a ride.
Really sad. I didn't think I was that familiar with his playing until I searched his name in my Discogs collection, he appears on loads of fantastic albums!

Yeah, He's not as well known as he should be, but a great player, he has done Classical as well with Leonard Bernstein etc, he turns up on lots of stuff, on the Resonance Eric Dolphy Box there are a couple of Duets he does with Dolphy that are part of the unreleased tracks , Plus he plays on Out To Lunch and Hill's Point Of Departure, Black Fire and as you have discovered so many great albums.
Really sad. I didn't think I was that familiar with his playing until I searched his name in my Discogs collection, he appears on loads of fantastic albums!

Back