Jazz

All these twofers are great.

Question about this though—how big is the benefit of playing it on a mono cart? I’m assuming this was cut with a stereo cutting head based on the year it came out…even if it’s just mirroring the left and right channel to simulate mono
It totally wakes it up IMHO.
Hard to describe but it makes it breathe.

Definitely looking forward to the results of this one.

B373DCBA-1DB5-4851-A372-591A9294E96A.jpeg
This is another good job in my opinion. The music is forthright and the noise floor is minimal even in the very quiet moments: bass solos and light percussion maintain integrity without any noticeable interference.

F0798A61-2E94-459F-A605-12B619CB1316.jpeg
That being said, having listened again to the Anthology release side-by-side, it’s clear they did a pretty damned good job too considering (if memory serves) it was from a few needle drops on minty OGs. I think it will be hitting the for sale pile in favour of the new version because I prefer the new packaging but for anyone owning the Anthology release, I’m unconvinced of any major sonic improvements here, which is to say, they are both pretty good for basic price releases, just don’t anticipate audiophile results.

Here’s some comparison images of both packaging, Anthology left, new release right.
4F76C7B7-103D-46D0-8CDF-9FBACC6683A9.jpeg
6C37051A-49D3-4476-9B83-D99C15BEE802.jpeg
3BB41F2C-5703-4131-B0D9-6C01C10C5443.jpeg

Like the Pneuma release, this one also has the original gatefold inner images printed onto the paper inner sleeve:
BD2FAC03-083F-4798-AF11-E02CC0A55F0D.jpeg
C1667E2A-AEFE-4D7E-8226-EEB652BDD35A.jpeg

Last edited:
All, asking a favor: got my gf’s dad some CDs for Christmas last year and he especially loved Getz/Gilberto and Chet Baker Sings. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar (he has Jazz Samba)? Very much appreciated!!

All, asking a favor: got my gf’s dad some CDs for Christmas last year and he especially loved Getz/Gilberto and Chet Baker Sings. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar (he has Jazz Samba)? Very much appreciated!!
Jazz Samba Encore is great!

This is a classic:

But if you want to split Bossa Nova + Crooning, look no further than:

Ummm… I just picked up the Bill Evans riverside recordings AP box set for $700. Overpriced? Sure. But I am happy. And I saved $200 off of the asking price as Accoustic Sounds. I should be happy, right?
Nice. that's one you can really treasure.

The new AS Townhall release is really nice too.
Some have said they can hear tape wow but I not musically intelligent to pick it up it seems.

Ummm… I just picked up the Bill Evans riverside recordings AP box set for $700. Overpriced? Sure. But I am happy. And I saved $200 off of the asking price as Accoustic Sounds. I should be happy, right?
Well, it's the same price as a Taylor Swift concert ticket and can be played as many times as you like.

Where’d you get it for 700??

cheaper at Real Gone as well directly.

Last edited:
Back