Jazz

Well, this is exciting, a new solo project from Shabaka Hutchings! If anyone sees an announcement of a vinyl pressing I would appreciate a tag!

View attachment 138019

Righteously stoked! I was beginning to think it wasn't coming until fall. Love the quick turnaround from announce to release! Between this, Ibeyi and Kendrick, May is quickly becoming a fire month!

Some cool releases from Frederiksberg Records today. Vinyl limited to 500 each on bandcamp on the first two (new reissues that were put up today)

and they restocked a few albums:

(would have gotten this one if they hadn't raised the price to $75)

- new old stock I think

Last edited:
Some cool releases from Frederiksberg Records today. Vinyl limited to 500 each on bandcamp on the first two (new reissues that were put up today)

- new old stock I think

Roots was in stock and I missed it? :cry:
But they raised the price to $75?? :sick: I would not have bought at that price either. I want this but damn.

I'll give a proper listen but my first plays on Bandcamp are very positive, especially the last song.

Playing this for the first time. Pressing sounds good to my ears even though I always feel that something is missing with this epic jazz records. It reminds me the first I listened to The Epic, no pun intended, on vinyl. I was expecting a much better sound. Same here, music has a lot of potential but pressing could have turn it into a fantastic record. On the bad side, songs are cut abruptly like "oh there is not more space left here, let's cut the song here". It kills the trip in these cosmic spaces the band creates. Overall I am happy with my purchases and would recommend you guys to grab a copy while you can (or wait for another repress).

@Selaws @MikeH

- new old stock I think

Ugh - $45 for each of the new ones. $55 shipped. It's tough. Very tough.

Not sure if this was posted but this Bill Evans title has been repressed, it was going for around £100.

I ordered a copy from CD Japan along with Sonny Rollins the Bridge from the same series. This is a great session well recorded. (I don't know if it's from digital but all the titles I have from this series sound really good).

Speaking of Japan and piano jazz, would it kill any of these labels to do vinyl reissues of Chihiro Yamanaka's albums?

View attachment 138298
I have three titles. Superb pressings, sound amazing, nice artwork, well worth seraching out. These are aimed at the Japanese market, so repress is unlikely unless the label becomes convinced that the first pressing did not meet demand and that there are enough buyers to sell a second pressing. In Japan, a pressing is expected to sell out. How quickly it does so is a significant determinant in another pressing down the line.

Remember, the BN mono series was never repressed, as copies were widely available in stores for many months.

Last edited:
Well, all but the most recent are going over $100 and a couple over $300.

Probably need to just get used to the idea that I'll have to have these on CD if I want physical copies.
I don't own any CD's. Taking Chihiro Yamanaka as an example, the 24/96 files (which are the masters) are way superior to a CD. You should try hi-res as your backup source. To be honest, there are plenty of cases where I prefer the hi-res.

Dear Jazz N&Gers: I write to ask for your advice. I somewhat foolishly bought the latest Craft Small Batch:

The Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet (Small Batch, One-Step Pressing)

It arrived last week and had damage to the shipping box (sent via DHL; no media mail option after the shipping debacle on the Lateef). As a result, it has a medium size ding to the corner of the fancy black outer slipcover box and a small corner ding on the same corner of the record jacket.

I wrote a polite message to Craft; they said they needed to reach out to their "team" since it was a Small Batch; and then got back to me today saying they will not offer a refund or replacement but just 15% off the original price (so about $20).

If this was a $20 album, I wouldn't care about the damage. But this was $110 + shipping, so I'm not feeling great about a $20 refund.

So, I ask all of you: would this satisfy you or should I appeal to Craft and/or initiate a CC chargeback?

Thanks in advance.

Dear Jazz N&Gers: I write to ask for your advice. I somewhat foolishly bought the latest Craft Small Batch:

The Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet (Small Batch, One-Step Pressing)

It arrived last week and had damage to the shipping box (sent via DHL; no media mail option after the shipping debacle on the Lateef). As a result, it has a medium size ding to the corner of the fancy black outer slipcover box and a small corner ding on the same corner of the record jacket.

I wrote a polite message to Craft; they said they needed to reach out to their "team" since it was a Small Batch; and then got back to me today saying they will not offer a refund or replacement but just 15% off the original price (so about $20).

If this was a $20 album, I wouldn't care about the damage. But this was $110 + shipping, so I'm not feeling great about a $20 refund.

So, I ask all of you: would this satisfy you or should I appeal to Craft and/or initiate a CC chargeback?

Thanks in advance.
Honestly, I think it comes down to whether or not it’s about the music for you. I’d be more upset about their reaction if it was in response to a flaw in the vinyl. I get that resale value is affected, and you should get what you pay for, but you have to decide whether you can live with this proposed outcome. Also, the notion that the more expensive the item, the more unacceptable the cosmetic damage is interesting in its own right. On the surface, I feel the same way, but presumably, the higher cost here is associated with the production of the vinyl (from going back to the tapes, to creating the masters, to limiting the number of records cut from each, etc.), and in your case (I assume), the vinyl is fine. It’s a tricky and somewhat loaded issue that you raise. Sorry you’re having to deal with it.

Last edited:
Typically I would have the same view as @Russ I, but with it being such an expensive record to have it in anything less than the condition advertised is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Their response you shared actually annoys me, this is such an expensive purchase and to downright refuse a refund is basically them saying they are not accepting responsibility. If I was in your position (my copy is actually on the way so I may we be although hopefully not) then I would push for a replacement or refund and use the threat of a chargeback. If they only offer a refund, great as it's still in stock so you can just repurchase.

Back