Jazz

For those of you who still don't own this lovely record:
Ezra Collective - You Can't Steal My Joy (Japanese Edition)
46062.png

I’ve seen some Joshua Abrams talk lately (@Joyless Division, @Mr Moore) - what’s essential?

And anyone know: is William Parker’s Meditation/Resurrection available on vinyl?

The latest Abrams, Mandatory Reality is outstanding. The only other one I have is Simultonality which is very good too although I prefer the latest one.

VMP article for a Jazz primer on Wayne Shorter https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/wayne-shorter-primer/

Pretty much just glossed over his work in the 60’s when he was arguably a top 3 player. Also, insanely good album from the Jazz Messengers but there aren’t any Shorter compositions on it. Anyway what would you guys list as your top 5 or so albums? I’ll throw out mine:
1) Speak No Evil
2) JuJu
3) Schizophrenia
4) Miles Smiles
5) The Big Beat
6) Native Dancer
7) Heavy Weather

VMP article for a Jazz primer on Wayne Shorter https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/wayne-shorter-primer/

Pretty much just glossed over his work in the 60’s when he was arguably a top 3 player. Also, insanely good album from the Jazz Messengers but there aren’t any Shorter compositions on it. Anyway what would you guys list as your top 5 or so albums? I’ll throw out mine:
1) Speak No Evil
2) JuJu
3) Schizophrenia
4) Miles Smiles
5) The Big Beat
6) Native Dancer
7) Heavy Weather
Maaaan, the omission of JuJu on that VMP piece is a total travesty. Speak no evil is great, but I don't agree with those that view it like a no contest winner over the rest of his albums from that Era. Night dreamer, Speak no evil, JuJu, Etc, Schizophrenia and The all seeing eye all have the quality to be at the top of any other artist's catalog. The fact that one may like one of these better doesn't make the others any less worthy of praise and legendary status.

Maaaan, the omission of JuJu on that VMP piece is a total travesty. Speak no evil is great, but I don't agree with those that view it like a no contest winner over the rest of his albums from that Era. Night dreamer, Speak no evil, JuJu, Etc, Schizophrenia and The all seeing eye all have the quality to be at the top of any other artist's catalog. The fact that one may like one of these better doesn't make the others any less worthy of praise and legendary status.
I agree. I wouldn’t argue if someone said he had the best streak of albums ever on BN.

That list of albums you just gave is out of this world. What a career.

1) Speak No Evil
2) JuJu
3) Schizophrenia
4) Miles Smiles
5) The Big Beat
6) Native Dancer
7) Heavy Weather
Interesting that they don't have schizophrenia on the list, seeing as we should be getting it in about two weeks

I feel likely I completely missed this amongst all the fantastic reissues going around, so perhaps I'm not the only one. Miles Davis - "The complete" Birth of the Cool getting a vinyl pressing with the original compilation album mastered from the original tapes plus live recordings. The fact it's getting a later digital and cd release despite already being out there might suggest a bit of work on cleaning up those live recordings? I don't know but I'm intrigued
20190518_221711.jpg

I feel likely I completely missed this amongst all the fantastic reissues going around, so perhaps I'm not the only one. Miles Davis - "The complete" Birth of the Cool getting a vinyl pressing with the original compilation album mastered from the original tapes plus live recordings. The fact it's getting a later digital and cd release despite already being out there might suggest a bit of work on cleaning up those live recordings? I don't know but I'm intrigued
View attachment 829
Nice catch. I’ve added this to the reissue spreadsheet.

Cross-post from the pre-order thread: second volume of J Jazz – Deep Modern Jazz from Japan compilation and fourth of the J Jazz Masterclass Serie are now available for pre-order:

That's exciting, the first one was awesome.
If you missed them, BBE's 'Journeys into deep jazz ' 'Black note and soul jazz' 'World jazz grooves' and the Kev Beadle compilations were good too.

I really liked the black note and kev beedle 3 comps. Might pop them in the cart when JJazz 2 comes this way!

French jazz fans - does anybody know about jazz sous les pommiers in Coutances? Only just found out about it even though I’ve been going to Saint Lo in Normandy for the last 20 years! Quick glance and it looks quite good - I’ll be over there next week so will definitely check it out for a day
http://www.jazzsouslespommiers.com/

Last edited:
French jazz fans - does anybody know about jazzsouslespommiers in Coutances? Only just found out about it even though I’ve been going to Saint Lo in Normandy for the last 20 years! Quick glance and it looks quite good - I’ll be over there next week so will definitely check it out for a day
http://www.jazzsouslespommiers.com/

Never went to this festival but have already heard about yes. Kamasi Washington played there last year IIRC.

Back