Jazz

Lets start this off with news of a new jazz festival in Paris. @Skalap mentioned it to me yesterday and I read this article this morning. Look forward to hearing about it @Skalap, sounds like theres plenty going on there with Yussef Dayes looking to be a highlight!

Kaleidoscope Manifesto

I think @phramenma is the one who talked about this festival and I will have to look for more info about this festival. I never saw any Yussef Dayes' show so i'll certainly grab a pair of tickets for me and my gf. For now, I'll spend next week-end in Brussels drinking beers for this Jazz festival : http://www.brusselsjazzweekend.be/friday.php I've been pushing for Belgian jazz in this thread the last months and some of my favorite bands will be playing: Glass Museum, Commander Spoon, Compro Oro, Esinam, Steiger, etc... I am very excited about this and next week will be very long!

Talking about Belgian jazz, I think I've shared this Spotify playlist in the previous thread but I am sharing here again. Quoting the SdBan peeps: get a glimpse of the variety of talent that Belgium is providing when it comes to the latest sounds of jazz :

Discovered this in the last Superfly Records newsletter. Greg Foat's The Mage is first solo album for Athens of the North featuring Jazz and Library Legends Duncan Lamont, Art Themen and Ray Russell plus Moses Boyd & Malcolm Catto.

Greg Foat’s 9th album 'The Mage' joins the dots between the past and future of British jazz. Enlisting the talents of jazz/library/soundtrack legends Duncan Lamont, Art Themen, Ray Russell and Clark Tracey to collaborate with their modern contemporaries Greg Foat, Moses Boyd and Heliocentric's drummer Malcolm Catto to create something undeniably British but outward looking and global.

A long time personal ambition for Greg was to work with Trinidadian songstress Kathy Garcia, on 'The Mage', this wish is granted as she joins him to re-imagine the deep Xian masterpiece ‘Of my Hands', 45 years after recording it as a young girl.

Greg’s compositions and arrangements showcase the old and new, downtempo folkscapes, free jazz with notes of hip-hop and soul from the young team flavouring the mix. Featuring Simon Ljungman and Friends as a male choir, Greg's EMS Synthi AKS experiments (made famous by Dr Who) the album is a testament to the versatility and pure musicality of all those involved and Greg Foat’s ability to bring artists together to record beautiful, timeless music. -

Enjoy!

Sorry, me again :) Cross-post from the Pre-Order thread:

New Jazzman releases with Fable Records!

Fable is a small independent record label started in Austin, Texas in the early 1970's by a young trombone player named Michael Mordecai. In autumn 1975 he debuted a trio of albums on Fable by Austin bands 47 Times its Own Weight, Steam Heat and Starcrost. With only 1000 of each pressed, and each carrying a different emphasis on soul, funk or jazz, all 3 have gone on to become highly sought after by collectors and DJs around the world.

We meet with Michael at our UK offices and over several hours he tells us the highs and lows of running Fable Records, leaving no stone unturned and with success and tragedy in equal measure. We also speak with members of all 3 bands, and they share with us interesting stories and cool anecdotes of the wild times in the mid '70s when their records were made. We acquire informative press cuttings and some awesome posters & flyers, and all of this we publish in a booklet included with each individually-numbered LP, all of which are housed in a US-style tip-on sleeve.

Starcrost - Starcrost
Austin Funk - Steam Heat
Cumulo Nimbus - Forty Seven Times its Own Weight

View attachment 261

Back