Jazz

You've persuaded me. I was looking at something to get free shipping at Honest Jons & have ended up with £120's worth in the cart (I can't seem to focus on work this week).

Have you bought any of the Outernational Sounds albums? Some appear top be pressed at Pallas, seems like they have some good titles.
Urghhh just seen that Honest Jons had it 4 quid cheaper than Banquet....typical!

Do you have the The Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan release on Atlantic? That was believed to be the only recording of the pianist before this new one came out and its fantastic.

The only records I have from Outernational Sounds are 2 Horace Tapscotts, The Call and Live At I.U.C.C. Both sound really good to me.

Urghhh just seen that Honest Jons had it 4 quid cheaper than Banquet....typical!

Do you have the The Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan release on Atlantic? That was believed to be the only recording of the pianist before this new one came out and its fantastic.

The only records I have from Outernational Sounds are 2 Horace Tapscotts, The Call and Live At I.U.C.C. Both sound really good to me.

No, I don't have the Max Roach trio one. I'll put in an order for the lost Atlantic album & remove a few others from my cart.

Ended up not getting the album I was looking for in the first place, but did manage to limit the spend to £75. (I was complaining about zoom calls a month ago, but I definitely need to do more work & less buying records)

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 12.21.28.png

Also for UK folk, do keep Cafe OTO's shop in mind. They stock some great stuff at really decent prices. They edge more toward free/experimental and recently started stocking a lot of Astral Spirits' stuff too at much better prices than I've seen elsewhere and certainly better than personal imports.

Also for UK folk, do keep Cafe OTO's shop in mind. They stock some great stuff at really decent prices. They edge more toward free/experimental and recently started stocking a lot of Astral Spirits' stuff too at much better prices than I've seen elsewhere and certainly better than personal imports.

So many cool looking records, but I don't know any of them. Recommend me a couple of awesome things.... I'm feeling financially irresponsible.

So many cool looking records, but I don't know any of them. Recommend me a couple of awesome things.... I'm feeling financially irresponsible.

Quin Kirchner – The Other Side of Time ← Cafe OTO - waited yonks for this repress and its well worth it.
Schlippenbach Trio – Pakistani Pomade ← Cafe OTO - seminal european avant/free but really listenable.
Joshua Abrams – Natural Information ← Cafe OTO - Abrams has been my hot favourite of the last few years. Sort of modern Chicago sensibilities with plenty of eastern/African influence.

Has anyone else had issues with receiving the Craft Records small batch Lateef LP?

Mine supposedly shipped two weeks ago but the tracking has not updated at all beyond "pending acceptance." I opened a post office case on it and the manager of the local USPS station in Batavia called me twice. He eventually confirmed they never received it because they don't have it and the Aurora sorting facility does not have a backlog of mail either.

Meantime, Craft is telling me to wait 45 days. Their responses to me have been slow and only via boilerplate emails. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told yes, but then the same non-supervisor got back to me today by email rather than the phone and told me the exact same thing about postal delays, ignoring that the post office said the opposite.

Losing patience here... Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Sadly I think the 45 days is part of the insurance on the package. I have a missing Spiritualized record from Fat Possum that shipped April 7 but has gone missing and essentially got the same response. So if they send out a replacement on day 40 it might negate their claim (not sure I am not a postal lawyer, just play one on the radio).

Sadly I think the 45 days is part of the insurance on the package. I have a missing Spiritualized record from Fat Possum that shipped April 7 but has gone missing and essentially got the same response. So if they send out a replacement on day 40 it might negate their claim (not sure I am not a postal lawyer, just play one on the radio).
It's worse: they confirmed they didn't insure it and sent it via media mail. The one time I decide to pay way too much for a single LP...

Has anyone else had issues with receiving the Craft Records small batch Lateef LP?

Mine supposedly shipped two weeks ago but the tracking has not updated at all beyond "pending acceptance." I opened a post office case on it and the manager of the local USPS station in Batavia called me twice. He eventually confirmed they never received it because they don't have it and the Aurora sorting facility does not have a backlog of mail either.

Meantime, Craft is telling me to wait 45 days. Their responses to me have been slow and only via boilerplate emails. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, I was told yes, but then the same non-supervisor got back to me today by email rather than the phone and told me the exact same thing about postal delays, ignoring that the post office said the opposite.

Losing patience here... Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Mine's got that same issue. "Package acceptance pending." I have no clue what that means!

While I'm sure it is no comfort whatsoever -- I'm in the exact same disappointing postal situation on Yusef Lateef...

In other news: Immanuel Wilkins and Joel Ross, Livestream from the Village Vanguard this Friday:

Back