Jazz

Rough Trade messed up my order and they didn't send me Shabaka. I don't know whether I got instead of or as a free gift but they did send my Soul Wax's Smokers Delight.
Not the worst choice. But it's Nightmares on Wax. ;)
I've been listening to that very copy today all day long.

Hopefully you'll still get Shabaka though.

Last edited:
Damn Covid-19 :(

Just re-discovered I have these records, from my grandpa's collection:

I'll have to clean them up and give them a spin.

Not sure if this is a UK only thing, but has anyone seen this new app?

I have been seeing it pop up a lot recently in recommended pages and on Facebook. I have read the comments and a lot of people seem to dig it. Looks like a dedicated jazz platform which collates music into curated playlists, includes music video, documentaries, behind the scenes videos, plus articles, reviews, etc. I already have Spotify so the music side of it isn't likely to be anything I cant get on there (other than live concerts which Jazzed apparently has). Quite tempted by it but would really like to know if anyone else has it first?

IMG_7FB78A939874-1.jpeg

Not sure if this is a UK only thing, but has anyone seen this new app?

I have been seeing it pop up a lot recently in recommended pages and on Facebook. I have read the comments and a lot of people seem to dig it. Looks like a dedicated jazz platform which collates music into curated playlists, includes music video, documentaries, behind the scenes videos, plus articles, reviews, etc. I already have Spotify so the music side of it isn't likely to be anything I cant get on there (other than live concerts which Jazzed apparently has). Quite tempted by it but would really like to know if anyone else has it first?

View attachment 41697
Just an update on this. It turns out you can actually download the app now and get access to a lot of free content. From a first glance it seems really intuitive. When listening to a playlist you can click the info button to be led to a page on that artist with photos/info. There seems to be a good amount of videos (looks to be an interesting Tubby Hayes one but you need to upgrade to the paid account). I watched a short interview with Ashley Henry about his 'Ashley Henry's 5ive' album (video was from 2016, theres also a Nubya Garcia one), and at the end there's a written summary with a list of musicians in an 'Appears in this video' section which allows you to discover more by them. Theres a 'Sessions' section which contains a lot of live session videos from the likes of Maisha, Cassandra Wilson, Joe Armon-Jones, Thousand Kings, Nejija, etc. Theres also a 'Concerts' section with videos from 'Yussef Dayes'.

Very interesting. Think I will stick to the free version for now and see what extras I would get by upgrading. Good thing to explore whilst in lockdown anyway.

Lost another great jazz musician today:

View attachment 42091
Have to admit I didn't think I was overly familiar with Henry Grimes....until I checked out the number of albums he appears on. Don Cherry's 2 best for Blue Note, Pharoah Sanders' Tauhid, Sonny Rollins' Sonny Meets Hawk!, Albert Ayler's Spirit! He appears on so many great albums! The only one I have on vinyl appears to be Into The Hot (listed as a Gil Evans date but in reality it's a Cecil Taylor album), but as its a big group set up he doesnt get the chance to stand-out. Will have to listen to some of his lead stuff over the next few days.

Also on the much-coveted Roy Haynes Impulse album, Out of the Afternoon:

Have to admit I didn't think I was overly familiar with Henry Grimes....until I checked out the number of albums he appears on. Don Cherry's 2 best for Blue Note, Pharoah Sanders' Tauhid, Sonny Rollins' Sonny Meets Hawk!, Albert Ayler's Spirit! He appears on so many great albums! The only one I have on vinyl appears to be Into The Hot (listed as a Gil Evans date but in reality it's a Cecil Taylor album), but as its a big group set up he doesnt get the chance to stand-out. Will have to listen to some of his lead stuff over the next few days.

Just found a true one off record on ebay. Crazy piece of history right there.

Hey @Mr Moore im pretty sure I once chatted to you about this record after reading about it (and streaming) in a Coleman biography. Tell you what, lets split it, im happy to throw the £43.50 in if you cover the rest :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 23.43.52.png

Just found a true one off record on ebay. Crazy piece of history right there.

Hey @Mr Moore im pretty sure I once chatted to you about this record after reading about it (and streaming) in a Coleman biography. Tell you what, lets split it, im happy to throw the £43.50 in if you cover the rest :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 42103

Yep, haha. I've always coveted these. Here's 1 of 2 for a meagre 400 quid.

Yep, haha. I've always coveted these. Here's 1 of 2 for a meagre 400 quid.

I've look at that multiple times, I have signed up to their newletter so I check their 'Most Expensive' weekly. Some real wallet burners on their site!

There was one on ebay that sold in Feb for £125 (plus £10 postage from Italy). A lot cheaper than the Discogs sold average.....but still.

I've look at that multiple times, I have signed up to their newletter so I check their 'Most Expensive' weekly. Some real wallet burners on their site!

There was one on ebay that sold in Feb for £125 (plus £10 postage from Italy). A lot cheaper than the Discogs sold average.....but still.

They have some bizarre prices. I got a two pack of the Ornette Golden Circles, both first presses for £45! For both! And then they have a Japanese Soothsayer for £85. I don't know, I feel like you have to get the right staff member pricing things up. That being said, I noticed some BN 1sts this week for 2-300 quid each and they sold so even in this uncertain climate, there's folks with moolah to splash out.

just gripped this - stocked to read it when it comes in

val.jpg

"In this classic account of the new black music of the 1960s and 70s, celebrated photographer and jazz historian Val Wilmer tells the story of how a generation of revolutionary musicians established black music as the true vanguard of American culture. Placing the achievements of African-American artists such as Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and Sun Ra in their broader political and social context, Wilmer evokes an era of extraordinary innovation and experimentation that continues to inspire musicians today. As vital now as when it was first published in 1977, As Serious As Your Life is the essential story of one of the most dynamic musical movements of the twentieth century."

just gripped this - stocked to read it when it comes in

View attachment 42205

"In this classic account of the new black music of the 1960s and 70s, celebrated photographer and jazz historian Val Wilmer tells the story of how a generation of revolutionary musicians established black music as the true vanguard of American culture. Placing the achievements of African-American artists such as Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane and Sun Ra in their broader political and social context, Wilmer evokes an era of extraordinary innovation and experimentation that continues to inspire musicians today. As vital now as when it was first published in 1977, As Serious As Your Life is the essential story of one of the most dynamic musical movements of the twentieth century."
This is a FANTASTIC book! I believe I saw @Mr Moore get it ages ago on the old forum and I picked it up soon after.

Theres a great BBC documentary about Val Wilmer. Some of her stories are incredible, its like she was at every major jazz event taking photos and collecting stories!

This is a FANTASTIC book! I believe I saw @Mr Moore get it ages ago on the old forum and I picked it up soon after.

Theres a great BBC documentary about Val Wilmer. Some of her stories are incredible, its like she was at every major jazz event taking photos and collecting stories!

Yeah, I never did finish it though. I could do with a few weeks off work, locked in with nothing to do to catch up with it...oh wait.

I read these and they were great also

9781496807793.jpg

51XQFVJJV9L.jpg

both these books are awesome and completely worth your time if you haven't read

that val book, i guess i can thank wire magazine, every new issue I get they are always pushing that book, so I pulled the trigger

Reading a review on the new ornette coleman book and wow
"Perhaps the most startling revelation, however, is that Coleman feared sex might interfere with his creative development; he considered an extraordinary solution. After Denardo’s birth, Ornette had entertained the idea of castration, which he thought might “eliminate any sexual feeling I could have in my body”. He settled on circumcision, Golia reports."

I read these and they were great also

9781496807793.jpg

51XQFVJJV9L.jpg

both these books are awesome and completely worth your time if you haven't read

that val book, i guess i can thank wire magazine, every new issue I get they are always pushing that book, so I pulled the trigger

Reading a review on the new ornette coleman book and wow
"Perhaps the most startling revelation, however, is that Coleman feared sex might interfere with his creative development; he considered an extraordinary solution. After Denardo’s birth, Ornette had entertained the idea of castration, which he thought might “eliminate any sexual feeling I could have in my body”. He settled on circumcision, Golia reports."
I seem to devour every jazz book I lay my hands on, so these are definitely being added to my list, cheers!

I did a search of the forum and saw that they weren't mentioned before. I came across them this weekend while browsing Growing Bin where they were highly recommended. I have really been enjoying listening to them and I'm happy that they have vinyl available. I highly recommend fans for the modern London acts to add Fazer to your listening lists. These guys are from Munich:

I went down another rabbit hole yesterday evening.

So I have mentioned before that I picked up these 2 boxsets from Curcio, an italian company. These releases tend to be dead cheap and nothing fancy in terms of liner notes, artwork, or (to be honest) pressing quality. However, a lot of the music on these doesn't appear again on vinyl (some cases at all) and tend to be fantastic live sessions. Blue Box Set and Green Box Set

So I was listening to one last night which sees Stan Getz paired with Donald Byrd & Bobby Jaspar. I had to do a bit of exploring to find out the origin of the music (I love geeking out on this stuff btw). Both are live recordings from Europe in 1958. The Getz takes up most of the album and is a repackaged version of an obscure France only release titled Stan Getz ‎– Live In Europe 1958 on the Musidisc label. The opening track is 'More Of The Same', a fantastic Donald Byrd & Bobby Jaspar track that was recorded live at the Olympia (Paris) on the 22nd October, 1958. Interestingly this is the same time that Byrd recorded 'Byrd in Paris’, 'Parisian Thoroughfare’ and 'Au Chat qui Pêche’, so it's a great session. I found this CD compilation which features the same track - Donald Byrd Quintet ‎– Complete Live At The Olympia 1958

If any of you fancy hunting down this lp (maybe streaming if its available) it was actually released as a stand-alone record by Curcio (all those in the box sets are collated from their back catalogue, so are available singularly). Stan Getz, Donald Byrd, Bobby Jaspar, Kenny Clarke ‎– I Giganti Del Jazz Vol. 20

@Skalap I know you picked up the Donald Byrd albums he recorded in Paris, so maybe the big 'Complete Live At The Olympia 1958' recordings might be of interest to you, I believe they are available to stream.

Back