Jazz

Got my Chet box today. Wow... they sound amazing, sleeves are high quality, and the photograph was a nice little bonus. Liner notes are just okay, but honestly, the whole package is amazing... and the price was right. Why do I got VMP anthologies again??

Pharoah Sanders - Live in Paris (1975) out on February 28th

Deluxe Edition - Classic Tip-On Gatefold Jacket including exclusive liner notes and pictures.
Mastered from the original master tapes.
ORTF Recordings by the Pharoah Sanders Quartet, live at Studio 104, Maison de la Radio, Paris.

View attachment 26961

well damn, I guess I have to add to my forced exposure pre order when they list this

So I splurged and got the John Coltrane New Directions '63 Box. I think i own every major Coltrane release now as Africa Brass is coming in and that's the final major US impulse work I need. I have both Japanese live in Tokyo volumes, and I think I am missing live in paris vol 2.

Where to go from here with Coltrane? At this point I am dying for them to finally issue the final recorded live show on vinyl. I know they would probably have to split some of the songs due to length. The live at Temple Univ. LP sounds great (so glad I picked it up before prices went through the roof) so I'm sure they can make that live show sound killer too. But yeah, I hope impulse does a vinyl version of that show or does release the what, 50 live shows they have in the vaults? Has anyone else heard this rumor? Is it even a rumor?

I guess it's time to finally flesh out someone else in the holy trinity, albert ayler.

Anyone get the Miles Davis Quintet box? It's down to 102 at Target and I'm tempted. How is it?
I have it, worth it if you dont have any of the prestige recordings. It's my understanding it is arranged in studio order tracks were recorded (someone tell me if I'm wrong)

What's funny (related but not really to this box set) is after 2+ decades of listening to jazz, I finally am really diving deep on all things Miles. It's awesome that there is so much, sure some of it is a miss, but still

Anyways, worth it for sure if you don't own the recordings or are a completist

Dead quiet vinyl on my end, but i believe these are pulled from digital masters? It isn't bad at all but don't expect audiophile quality even in the slightest

for 100 bucks, 4-5 hours or so of miles to have forever? Hard to go wrong

I have it, worth it if you dont have any of the prestige recordings. It's my understanding it is arranged in studio order tracks were recorded (someone tell me if I'm wrong)

What's funny (related but not really to this box set) is after 2+ decades of listening to jazz, I finally am really diving deep on all things Miles. It's awesome that there is so much, sure some of it is a miss, but still

Dead quiet vinyl on my end, but i believe these are pulled from digital masters? It isn't bad at all but don't expect audiophile quality even in the slightest

Fully agree with everything said here. Very quiet, and carefully packaged. Also nice to have them in order even if you have the other LPs as it gives it a new feeling hearing these tunes as they were originally created. I'm not a fan of the way Craft lays out these box sets (they did the same with Coltrane 58). I prefer the standard jackets, but it is essential jazz any way you slice it!

Got my Chet box today. Wow... they sound amazing, sleeves are high quality, and the photograph was a nice little bonus. Liner notes are just okay, but honestly, the whole package is amazing... and the price was right. Why do I got VMP anthologies again??
I second this. At $109 for the set it feels like a STEAL. These records sound incredible, swear you could hear Chet’s lips smacking in between breaths 😂

Fully agree with everything said here. Very quiet, and carefully packaged. Also nice to have them in order even if you have the other LPs as it gives it a new feeling hearing these tunes as they were originally created. I'm not a fan of the way Craft lays out these box sets (they did the same with Coltrane 58). I prefer the standard jackets, but it is essential jazz any way you slice it!

Yeah I go back and forth how I feel about the packaging. On one end it's annoying because I'm for sure going to listen to both '58 Coltrane and this Miles box a good amount, but they do look nice from afar I guess. The '58 Coltrane box seems to make more sense to me in design then the Miles box for some reason

Hm if they're digital masters, I might as well just stream them. I'm not super into that box style, so I think I'll pass. I do need to get more of Miles from this era though.

Hm if they're digital masters, I might as well just stream them. I'm not super into that box style, so I think I'll pass. I do need to get more of Miles from this era though.
I can't 100% say of they are digital masters, but maybe a more audiophile type could confirm or deny?

If you don't like the box I think most of those are in print. I don't know about the live recordings that bookend the box though, but I could also be wrong about that

Have you got the Complete Village. Vanguard Recordings? Most have been released on vinyl in various albums over the ages but the CD set is great if a little bright in the mastering, such great material.You have Sun Ship, Meditations etc?
So I splurged and got the John Coltrane New Directions '63 Box. I think i own every major Coltrane release now as Africa Brass is coming in and that's the final major US impulse work I need. I have both Japanese live in Tokyo volumes, and I think I am missing live in paris vol 2.

Where to go from here with Coltrane? At this point I am dying for them to finally issue the final recorded live show on vinyl. I know they would probably have to split some of the songs due to length. The live at Temple Univ. LP sounds great (so glad I picked it up before prices went through the roof) so I'm sure they can make that live show sound killer too. But yeah, I hope impulse does a vinyl version of that show or does release the what, 50 live shows they have in the vaults? Has anyone else heard this rumor? Is it even a rumor?

I guess it's time to finally flesh out someone else in the holy trinity, albert ayler.

Have you got the Complete Village. Vanguard Recordings? Most have been released on vinyl in various albums over the ages but the CD set is great if a little bright in the mastering, such great material.You have Sun Ship, Meditations etc?
yep I do

I'm actually more of a fan of Coltrane's Avant output more than his output that goes to 64/65?

I can't 100% say of they are digital masters, but maybe a more audiophile type could confirm or deny?

If you don't like the box I think most of those are in print. I don't know about the live recordings that bookend the box though, but I could also be wrong about that

I did a little research and while it's pressed at RTI, there's no mention of mastering or source. So I gotta assume it's digital. But yeah I'm going to look to get them individually, was streaming the set this morning and liked it!

If anyone in here has access to a vinyl flat and would be interested, I have a copy of Joe Henderson - Canyon that is too warped to play that I can send along for free. The cover has a decent amount of ring wear, but the record seems good besides the warping which is significant. I'm not sure it will play great after being flattened, but I figure it's worth a shot since I'll just be tossing it anyway.

If anyone in here has access to a vinyl flat and would be interested, I have a copy of Joe Henderson - Canyon that is too warped to play that I can send along for free. The cover has a decent amount of ring wear, but the record seems good besides the warping which is significant. I'm not sure it will play great after being flattened, but I figure it's worth a shot since I'll just be tossing it anyway.
I just bought one, would love to try it on this! DM OTW.

Back