January 2021 Challenge Thread - It's All One Song! And One Raffle!

Day 6: “L.A., Uptight, City in the Smog” – Play something recorded in or references Los Angeles in some way.

🎶
I met a man
He was a good man
Sailing and shoring
Dancing the beta can-can
Making me foreign
Oh yeah
I want to live in Los Angeles
Not the one in Los Angeles
No, not the one in South California
They got one in South Patagonia
Not the one Los Angeles
They got a bunch down in Moleville
They got a bunch more still
They got one in twenty-five two five
Works just like a beehive
Counting helicopters on a Saturday night
The symphony of the fair light
I hear them saying Los Angeles
In all the black and white movies
And if you think they star-spangled us
How come we say Los Angeleez?
I'll wait in Los Angeles
I'll wait in the pouring sun
No way
For not anyone
No way
I met a man
He was a good man
Sailing and shoring
He got a betatron, man
Talking that foreign
Oh yeah
I'll wait in Los Angeles
No way
For not anyone
No way
I'll wait in Los Angeles
No way
For not anyone
No way
🎶

CE92F7AC-52D2-442A-A839-D8C513170211.jpeg

Day 7: “Only love can break your heart” – Play something inspired by heartbreak, or that got you through a rough patch.

Oooof this one takes me back some 30 years...

🎶
I believe in love, I'll believe in anything
That's gonna get me what I want and get me off my knees
Then we'll burn your house down, don't it feel so good
There's a forest fire every time we get together
🎶

9A28CF4D-85AC-4671-93EE-6CBDCDEDB4C0.jpeg

Day 7: “Only love can break your heart” – Play something inspired by heartbreak, or that got you through a rough patch.

Twofer today. Getting a head start on Day 19 with Grievance: "I pledge to my grievance to the flag, Cause you don't give blood, then take it back again".

Then this finishes out with Parting Ways, written about / during Eddies divorce from his first wife.

Pearl Jam ~ Binaural

1610069627292.png

Beck - Sea Change

I remember when this came out, everyone was calling it “Beck’s Blood on the Tracks.”

This was going to be my backup if I didn't get to use Blood on the Tracks

Beck - Sea Change

I remember when this came out, everyone was calling it “Beck’s Blood on the Tracks.”
Saw this as I was listening to "Guess I'm Doing Fine". They weren't wrong.

Day 8: “She was an unknown legend in her time”
Celebration - The Modern Tribe
779DBE35-DB22-4DFC-AF04-C271DAD313A0.jpegI saw them open for The Blood Brothers a few months before TBB called it quits. One of my favorite shows I’ve been to and Celebration put on a hell of a show, borrowing both Morgan and Cody of TBB to cover bass, tambourine, maracas, keyboard, and backing vocals for their set

Day 8: “She was an unknown legend in her time”
Celebration - The Modern Tribe
View attachment 82945I saw them open for The Blood Brothers a few months before TBB called it quits. One of my favorite shows I’ve been to and Celebration put on a hell of a show, borrowing both Morgan and Cody of TBB to cover bass, tambourine, maracas, keyboard, and backing vocals for their set

I randomly listened to this one last week- it's definitely a forgotten gem!

Day 8: “She was an unknown legend in her time” – Play something from an artist that you think should be more well known.

Kelly Lee Owens "Inner song"

Looking at streaming numbers on Spotify (around 770,000 streams) this album still doesn't get the praise it deserves. Kelly Lee Owens, a former nurse, blends body-moving beats with introspective songwriting. The result is beautiful. ❤️

She has expressed interest in the connection between healing and music. She has already worked with Björk and St. Vincent.

IMG_20210102_165452.jpg

Day 8: “She was an unknown legend in her time” – Play something from an artist that you think should be more well known.

Kelly Lee Owens "Inner song"

Looking at streaming numbers on Spotify (around 770,000 streams) this album still doesn't get the praise it deserves. Kelly Lee Owens, a former nurse, blends body-moving beats with introspective songwriting. The result is beautiful. ❤️

She has expressed interest in the connection between healing and music. She has already worked with Björk and St. Vincent.

View attachment 82948
Giving this a listen today - really enjoying it. Thanks for posting it!

Day 8 - "She was an unknown legend in her time"

I never know what to play for this type of challenge... I consider that most of what I have is pretty well known, but then again I consume music at about 100,000% compared to most. Except you guys. Some of you delve even deeper.

Anyway, thought I'd play an album I really like that I haven't seen mentioned much on here.

Robert Randolph & The Family Band "Brighter Days" (2019 Provogue)

Soulful blues fire 🔥 🔥 🔥

IMG_1204.JPG

Back