J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

Re the above - Toki is already gone. That's the one I really want. Hopefully, LITA or DG gets these too.
I'm guessing these will be available at all the usual suspects. Last batch got restocked at CDJ as well after they came out. Have already asked if LITA will be getting them in.

I'm guessing these will be available at all the usual suspects. Last batch got restocked at CDJ as well after they came out. Have already asked if LITA will be getting them in.
Thanks and please report back. I'm a little iffy on J Jazz vocals but I am in for the other two. LITA did a fine job for me on that first bundle but I am only going to try for the two instrumental releases on this round. I used to buy a ton of CDs from CDJ so I would like to use them again.

file under J-Jazz adjacent...
it's been a bit since I've gone back through the recently very rare and I guess highly collectable Whynot Label, because let's face it, of the 16 or 17 records put out by this highly curated Kenwood/Trio owned sub label, only about half of them are even listenable (ill let you figure out which are which) - my copies are also in LA, so there's also that as a reason

so last year when I found a strong copy of Charles Sullivan's "re-entry" for about 3000yen (no obi at that price these days) it was an easy pickup as had been on my wantlist for years.

tonight I listened to it again. fuck. it might just be one the best records I own. and I have a more than a few.
this record just smokes. the playing, inspired, just fire. sound quality is epic, everything just jumps off the vinyl, this record needs volume. this is a record you will come back to over and over again. in fact I replayed it immediately.

seek this out. you will be rewarded. in your ears. not financially, cause $$.

Also, I do love what the Whynot label was doing, with their curated approach, a label should stretch, you shouldn't like every record they put out but you should maybe want to buy them all - too rare and expensive these days, especially if you're not in Japan (but even now, I rarely see them).

The George Cables record is excellent as are the two Fumio Karashima records, which have become unobtanium, because well, they are awesome as well, a few other solid sessions in the mix, the rest avant-dreck that will not reward your ears (IMO) - happy hunting.

Thanks for bringing up Why Not. There are a lot of satisfying records on the label, though not sure if I would agree with the "half of them" comment (perhaps you are talking about the Donald Smith record, which I think is fun every once in awhile or the Cyrille with Ware). I have about 7 or 8 of them on CD and really, digital is fine for me, as I don't feel the need to pay overly inflated prices that these demand. I certainly would not want to be without the Sullivan, which is great and comparable to Genesis. Of course, as a Henry Threadgill super fan, I think the Air records are fantastic and well worth seeking out. Lastly, Joseph Bonner is a sadly overlooked player who I think always did stellar work and this trio record is pretty special.

not taking credit here ;-)...but clearly I've blathered on about the Audio Lab Record. label too much...prices have just gone nuts. there's always been a few sides that you never see, but the bins usually have a few copies of the usual suspects - and now those suspects have become a lot more expensive.

sonically, these were all state of the art, IMO bettering TBM, especially with piano...still worth exploring....

Last edited:
not taking credit here ;-)...but clearly I've blathered on about the Audio Lab Record. label too much...prices have just gone nuts. there's always been a few sides that you never see, but the bins usually have a few copies of the usual suspects - and now those suspects have become a lot more expensive.

sonically, these were all state of the art, IMO bettering TBM, especially with piano...still worth exploring....
I have these three Audio Lab titles on vinyl (and Side by Side on sacd). Get Happy is still cheap.

IMG_2720.jpeg

Sound on all of them is fantastic, as you mention, particularly drum-centric “The Dialogue,” which may be the best recorded drums of any album I own. I used to have Side by Side on vinyl, but it was a noisy copy that didn’t work for me given the style of music, so I sold it and bought the sacd.

As for the music itself, I prefer my TBM titles, but there’s no denying the genius of Okihiko Sugano. Given the near fetishizing of audiophile engineers in the US, particularly over the past 5-10 years, it’s weird that he’s not more known here.

I can’t remember if I found this great, detailed piece about him from you or someone else here on N&G or on my own, but it’s a great read.

Last edited:
I have these three Audio Lab titles on vinyl (and Side by Side on sacd). Get Happy is still cheap.

View attachment 202130

Sound on all of them is fantastic, as you mention, particularly drum-centric “The Dialogue,” which may be the best recorded drums of any album I own. I used to have Side by Side on vinyl, but it was a noisy copy that didn’t work for me given the style of music, so I sold it and bought the sacd.

As for the music itself, I prefer my TBM titles, but there’s no denying the genius of Okihiko Sugano. Given the near fetishizing of audiophile engineers in the US, particularly over the past 5-10 years, it’s weird that he’s not more known here.

I can’t remember if I found this great, detailed piece about him from you or someone else here on N&G or on my own, but it’s a great read.
'love for sale' is favorite and exceedingly rare...I don't track these on discogs just what im seeing in stores here in Japan, they may also seem cheaper because the Yen exchange is ridiculous at the moment

Back