J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

Yes - received this a whlie back. To my ears it sounds fantastic - especially after I gave it a clean. I was initually worried about what the quality would be like but it's great and would reccomend. The colour is nothing much to shout about and would probably prefer black.

I just received notice that the following available as imports on Dustygroove.com:

Takeo Moriyama — Smile ... LP
Hiroshi Suzuki — Cat ... LP
Hiromasa Suzuki — High Flying ... LP

They are a bit pricy, but probably a bit cheaper than if you paid for shipping from Japan.

If anyone is in the DC area and for some reason will be at Katsucon feb 2020 I’ll be doing a lecture on the history of jazz in Japan/Japanese Jazz,” Here's That Rainy day: A History of Japanese Jazz” ,I did this lecture over the summer and about 150 people showed up. So if for some reason you’ll be at that convention and you’re posting here, you may enjoy this.

Also for those into the freer side/avant-garde side of Japanese jazz, I cannot recommend this book enough(public bath press is awesome and worth supporting:
5DC45048-E037-492C-82D9-C655F36D744A.png
Also while I wouldn’t call the black editions label a Japanese free jazz reissue label (they’re a PSF reissue label really) it looks like they’re reissuing a ton of Masayuki Takayanagi

Looks like two new reissues are coming from Deep Jazz Reality in Tokyo:

Freedom Unity - Something / Freedom Unity First
Toshiaki Yokota & The Beat Generation

Anyone here ever purchase something through Yahoo Auctions in Japan? If so, how did you do it. My Japanese is terrible.

This Deep Jazz Reality serie was CD only except when part of Project Re:Vinyl but it seems that Yusuke is starting this serie on vinyl... Should start saving...

I just discovered Junko Onishi. Here is a short bio on Wikipedia "after studying at Berklee College of Music, she moved to New York City, where she played with Joe Henderson, Betty Carter, Kenny Garrett, and Mingus Dynasty. She has also worked with Jackie McLean, Holly Cole, and Billy Higgins, among others, and recorded eight CDs for Blue Note (Somethin' Else in Japan) as a leader".

More recently she released two great albums, both released by Somethin' Cool Japanese jazz label (managed by Diskunion) :

Junko Onishi Presents Jatroit (with Robert Hurst & Karriem Riggins) :

1577979948413.png

Junko Onishi Presents The Sextet ‎– XII

1577979988217.png

Interesting article about J-Jazz with a lot of links and music suggestions :

Interesting article about J-Jazz with a lot of links and music suggestions :

Really liking this Kyoto Jazz Sextet, looking forward to listening to the Kyoto Jazz Massive next ~ Thank goodness the Sextet is going for over 75$ on discogs, that would have been hard to resist purchasing

Really liking this Kyoto Jazz Sextet, looking forward to listening to the Kyoto Jazz Massive next ~ Thank goodness the Sextet is going for over 75$ on discogs, that would have been hard to resist purchasing

It can be found cheaper :p

I spent some time discussing with Craftman Records CM on Instagram this morning. They are going to add 20 more titles to the TBM Supreme Collection 1500 (see above), all on CD. They are also reissuing Ayako Hosokawa's albums on Three Blind Mice (see below). To Mr. Wonderful (listen here) is the only one on vinyl (and, from what they say, the only J-Jazz vinyl reissue planned for 2020) and the three others on CD. I asked if they plan to repress some of the previous vinyl of the From the Original Master Tapes serie and, apparently, they are not.

On another side, both Ryo Fukui's Scenery and Mellow Dream will be repressed (Project Re:Vinyl serie) and are due to May 5th (read here). This is not a very important important as both got reissues by We Release Jazz Swiss label and are more affordable for us out of Japan. Though, I'll order Mellow Dream to complete my collection.

Finally, another CD serie will be released next week : Nippon Jazz Spirits. There are some real gems (list is here) like Fumio Itabashi, Masaru Imada, Eiji Nakayama, Ryo Fukui and many Takehiro Honda titles. There is also a Johnny's Disk compilation with some of the best songs and artists from the label. Many Johnny's Disk albums have been reissued in the last couple of years on Studio Mule/ Mule Musiq like First Flight, Aya's Samba or Watarase.

1578302630032.png

I had the chance to discuss with Le Très Jazz Club and BBE people this morning at Paris Loves Vinyl record fair.

LTJ have 8 records planned this year and maybe another 5 for RSD 2020. They made a few deals with Aketa's Disk, Union Records and Trio Records so I can imagine a lot of great music is coming :) They said they'll release one record in March, and then one or two every two months (not counting RSD releases). Fuzati, label curator, was playing some records when I left.

Concerning BBE. The guy I met (he was a co-worker of Jean-Claude, If Music label/shop owner) told me the next release due to February is going to be delayed by a month due to quality issues. Then they plan to release another 3 records before the end of the year but he didn't gave me any further information.

What I bought? Almost nothing...

Toshio Matsuura - Presents HEX (you may know him for his album Loveplaydance featuring Tom Skinner, Yussef Dayes, Mansur Brown, Nubya Garcia and Yazz Ahmed)
Naoito ‎– DotA
Antoine Berjeaut & Makaya McCraven ‎– Moving Cities

Back