It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

I had no idea this game went 2-1 QPR for so long. Holy shit.

We won 1-0 at Sunderland and the game was over and city were still losing 2-1. I think it was 92 and 96 minutes? The United players were on the pitch waiting for confirmation so they knew whether or not the trophy was being presented and their reactions to the goals being scored were being scored by city was broadcast live on sky. The reaction of the Sunderland fans is why league one is perfect bloody karma 😂

Lol sorry @Joe Mac. This was some of the most fun I've ever had as a neutral soccer fan. The coverage in the States was outstanding at the time, too. Cutting back to ManU waiting for the results.

Sky had both games on different channels but with picture in picture updates from the other game so I had the United match on. That’s the hardest thing to take as a football fan, no worse feeling that loosing it like that! Equally no better feeling either like in 99, so swings and roundabouts lol!

I’m really missing live football right now. Being stuck in without being able to go anywhere would be so much easier if there were a couple of live Utd games a week to focus on. I wonder if we’ll see an end to this season now, abandonment seems really likely now and how do you handle that?

I’m really missing live football right now. Being stuck in without being able to go anywhere would be so much easier if there were a couple of live Utd games a week to focus on. I wonder if we’ll see an end to this season now, abandonment seems really likely now and how do you handle that?
Void the whole season and everyone starts at square one whenever we’re able to restart sports. It sucks for Liverpool, Leeds, etc but that’s the only logical option. There’s no way everyone gets back together in June like they’re saying to play World Cup style games in quick succession.

UEFA doesn't seem like they're on board with voiding anything and it certainly seems like they run football. FIFA already said they feel contracts should continue through the extended summer and that the transfer window would move to a later time. There's really no rush to end the season when you can push back the next season. Pretty much every American sport is going to have this happen. There's already talk that college football will go into next spring. Abandonment seems like the option of last resort.

UEFA doesn't seem like they're on board with voiding anything and it certainly seems like they run football. FIFA already said they feel contracts should continue through the extended summer and that the transfer window would move to a later time. There's really no rush to end the season when you can push back the next season. Pretty much every American sport is going to have this happen. There's already talk that college football will go into next spring. Abandonment seems like the option of last resort.

UEFA has no control over the individual leagues as such. They all have the power to act as their stakeholders direct. Below top level football even less so because there isn’t even a feed into UEFA competition. This can be seen by Belgium cancelling their playoffs and declaring a champion on the table with 1 game remaining, albeit everything was sewn up mathematically to allow them to declare a champion. Rumour is Scotland is about to vote for the end of the season too and declare Celtic as champions, which to me is wrong because it’s not decided mathematically even it is sticking it to Rangers. The Premier League will hold out as long as they can but this year can’t go on indefinitely, if we get into June it’ll be cancelled and a determination will be made one way or another, void or as we are, either way is going to be hugely unfair on certain teams. I can’t see them pushing next year back too far, maybe a little, because it’ll be running into the rescheduled Euro 2020 and while UEFA prioritised the club season this year they won’t again because that’d mean outright cancelling their international money spinner and I can’t see them doing that.

I'll legitimately feel bad for Leeds if they get their shot at promotion cancelled. That sucks given their history and how long they've been away from Premiership. The teams that were looking at promotion are getting what, 30-50 million taken away from them? That's pretty crappy but these are extraordinary times we're living through.

I'll legitimately feel bad for Leeds if they get their shot at promotion cancelled. That sucks given their history and how long they've been away from Premiership. The teams that were looking at promotion are getting what, 30-50 million taken away from them? That's pretty crappy but these are extraordinary times we're living through.

I agree but I’d also feel equally bad for Villa, relegated with a game in hand that if they won would take them out of the bottom three, if it was declared as is. Even average points could be seen as unfair (outside of Liverpool which is statistically, if not outright mathematically done) as teams with easier run ins have a very compelling argument that their average has been decided over a much tougher run of fixtures. Here is hoping that we are good to go, even if just behind closed doors, in mid May to early June but if not a solution has to be found as the games won’t be able to be completed.

Here's something else I hadn't considered. the 2022 World Cup in the winter.

This 19/20 season is postponed until, let's say September, that run the last gameweeks through to End of November. Everyone is off until February 2021. The 20/21 season would run February 2021 through November 2021. Everyone is off until February 2022. Repeat until November 2022, so the 2022 World Cup goes off without a hitch to the regular league seasons. Not sure what would happen after the fact, whether the leagues reset back to having a summer break is another question. But I think it's a decent option.

Here's something else I hadn't considered. the 2022 World Cup in the winter.

This 19/20 season is postponed until, let's say September, that run the last gameweeks through to End of November. Everyone is off until February 2021. The 20/21 season would run February 2021 through November 2021. Everyone is off until February 2022. Repeat until November 2022, so the 2022 World Cup goes off without a hitch to the regular league seasons. Not sure what would happen after the fact, whether the leagues reset back to having a summer break is another question. But I think it's a decent option.

Eugh the 2022 World Cup, id forgot that abhorrent abomination in oil rich state with a malignant affect on world afraid and a horrendous human rights record. They should never have been given the World Cup, it should never have been able to be moved November to accommodate their weather and it should have been stripped from them over one of many countless scandals. I’d love to see players/nations follow the lead of Cruyff in 78 and boycott it on moral grounds.

On the wider point I can’t see that happening, football is culturally a winter game everywhere in Europe other than Scandinavia, I think that there would more likely be an compression of next season and/or abandonment of this one than that. It’s also leave the already delayed euros with no home and Uefa won’t tolerate that.

Eugh the 2022 World Cup, id forgot that abhorrent abomination in oil rich state with a malignant affect on world afraid and a horrendous human rights record. They should never have been given the World Cup, it should never have been able to be moved November to accommodate their weather and it should have been stripped from them over one of many countless scandals. I’d love to see players/nations follow the lead of Cruyff in 78 and boycott it on moral grounds.

On the wider point I can’t see that happening, football is culturally a winter game everywhere in Europe other than Scandinavia, I think that there would more likely be an compression of next season and/or abandonment of this one than that. It’s also leave the already delayed euros with no home and Uefa won’t tolerate that.
I didn't realize how long we have to go until then because it's all the way in winter to 2022. I'm hoping that something happens between now and then where Qatar is removed as host. They, along with Russia, blatantly bribed officials to vote for them to host. There would have to be some 3rd party intervening otherwise FIFA won't police themselves.

I didn't realize how long we have to go until then because it's all the way in winter to 2022. I'm hoping that something happens between now and then where Qatar is removed as host. They, along with Russia, blatantly bribed officials to vote for them to host. There would have to be some 3rd party intervening otherwise FIFA won't police themselves.

I mean it’s a World Cup bid, the process is probably less transparent that the IOC Olympic host city process was before that house of cards collapsed. Every country involved in the process whored themselves out to FIFA and their local confederation, Qatar and Russia were just richer and cared less about the fall out.

The one thing I will say about Russia as a host was that it’s a major country with sufficient infrastructure and a real passion for football. Those stadiums and that infrastructure will be used. It’s a proper football country that should be in the running even if it did bribe its way to it.

Qatar is a joke a tiny country with the wrong climate for the game seeking to sportswash a repressive regime. I mean all the stadiums are temporary structure that will have to be air conditioned in bloody November.

I mean it’s a World Cup bid, the process is probably less transparent that the IOC Olympic host city process was before that house of cards collapsed. Every country involved in the process whored themselves out to FIFA and their local confederation, Qatar and Russia were just richer and cared less about the fall out.

The one thing I will say about Russia as a host was that it’s a major country with sufficient infrastructure and a real passion for football. Those stadiums and that infrastructure will be used. It’s a proper football country that should be in the running even if it did bribe its way to it.

Qatar is a joke a tiny country with the wrong climate for the game seeking to sportswash a repressive regime. I mean all the stadiums are temporary structure that will have to be air conditioned in bloody November.
100% agreed. Russia may have been awarded the World Cup on poor terms but they did throw a very good tournament and, like you said can support the facilities after the fact.

we’re also not even mentioning the human rights atrocities happening in Qatar of construction crews dying building these stadiums. For what? Like 5 games only? It’s outrageous.

100% agreed. Russia may have been awarded the World Cup on poor terms but they did throw a very good tournament and, like you said can support the facilities after the fact.

we’re also not even mentioning the human rights atrocities happening in Qatar of construction crews dying building these stadiums. For what? Like 5 games only? It’s outrageous.

oh yeah that’s what I was implying when I referred to ongoing scandals. It’s utterly shocking how the construction workers, many of whom were plucked from abject poverty in the Indian subcontinent, are being treated. To think that the US and Australia were also viable alternatives for that tournament. Australia would actually be an ideal World Cup host at some point in the future.

Bundesliga is back to practicing and hoping to start back up in early May.

Germany has handled covid very well so this is not hugely surprising, the uk has botched the whole thing and the middle of May is considered to be a rough idea of when the epicentre of the crisis will be...

Bundesliga is back to practicing and hoping to start back up in early May.

Bundesliga is probably one of the best run leagues in the whole world, aside from the RB Leipzig fiasco.

Bundesliga is probably one of the best run leagues in the whole world, aside from the RB Leipzig fiasco.

I think in this case it’s that Germany is an infinitely more structured country rather than the leagues lol. RB fiasco?

Back