It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

don't know how that was allowed??

Referee didn’t have a choice because there was no foul and he didn’t blow until after it crossed the line. Why he didn’t blow before that is beyond me. Atkinson has been a pretty appalling referee for his entire career.

Also to volley into an open net with the keeper prone is a lack of sportsmanship on a pretty epic scale.

Referee didn’t have a choice because there was no foul and he didn’t blow until after it crossed the line. Why he didn’t blow before that is beyond me. Atkinson has been a pretty appalling referee for his entire career.

Also to volley into an open net with the keeper prone is a lack of sportsmanship on a pretty epic scale.
yeah that last part is pretty poor. It was Fred who accidentally stepped on him so if it were an Arsenal player it would have easily been a foul. Still seems unfair to give it considering.

yeah that last part is pretty poor. It was Fred who accidentally stepped on him so if it were an Arsenal player it would have easily been a foul. Still seems unfair to give it considering.

I think he was going to disallow it and VAR reminded him there was no infringement looking at the pictures. Once he didn’t stop the play for the injury it’s a goal because there is no foul.

i wish it was disallowed

i left Smith-Rowe on my damn bench cuz i've been all over the place this week. FML lol

Jesus at least the pen was given but he was 2 yards away and how he didn’t give it. Atkinson is bloody incompetent.

Fred had randomly been both the best and worst player in the game. Two assists and a goal saving block but unable to pass the ball to another united player over even the shortest of distances…

Can’t thank Carrick enough. Wonderful footballer and great servant to the club. Absolute legend, what I wouldn’t give for a young Carrick in the team right now.

I think he felt he was part of the Ole regime and that their time was up. He helped the club out in the aftermath and once the new man was in stepped to one side to allow him a clean slate.

Unpopular take: De Gea is arguably the person at fault. He obviously wasn’t THAT injured (he finished the game). If you’re the keeper, you can’t roll around and expect the game to stop for you. Suck it up and figure out the damage later.

(I also don’t blame Smith-Rowe for taking a shot at the open net. Score first, ask questions later, to the whistle, etc.)

Unpopular take: De Gea is arguably the person at fault. He obviously wasn’t THAT injured (he finished the game). If you’re the keeper, you can’t roll around and expect the game to stop for you. Suck it up and figure out the damage later.

(I also don’t blame Smith-Rowe for taking a shot at the open net. Score first, ask questions later, to the whistle, etc.)

I don’t disagree with the first part. Someone’s studs down your Achilles is both sore as fuck and capable of being run off though.

The second part is probably from a hang up that the English game has on sportsmanship. It’s something that 20 years ago would have seen him hammered on the back pages and isn’t particularly liked today even. I suppose the opposite end of that was when Fowler was lauded for deliberately missing a penalty that he felt he hadn’t won or Di Canio catching the ball that time with a similar open goal and prone keeper. We can also open a broader debate of the hypocrisy of that versus the historic love of the “reducer” or the “hard man” but that could go on for days lol.

At the end of the day we won so I’ve forgotten about it and if some lingering sense of injustice, whether misplaced or not, fuelled it then cheers for that Emile!

Back