It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

He's a two faced twat. I'm glad he's out.

The Glazers are also a cancer but we've lacked class ever since David Gill left. I hope they find someone in that category.

He’s a yes man, I’m not sorry he’s gone but he’s not the problem the Glazer’s are.

You couldn’t be more wrong about that utter bastard Gill. Smooth as silk and a top class administrator but and utter two faced prick of the highest order.

2004. debt is the road to ruin. Strongly opposes leveraged buy outs.

2005. The glazers are wonderful what are you all moaning about.

He’s a yes man, I’m not sorry he’s gone but he’s not the problem the Glazer’s are.

You couldn’t be more wrong about that utter bastard Gill. Smooth as silk and a top class administrator but and utter two faced prick of the highest order.

2004. debt is the road to ruin. Strongly opposes leveraged buy outs.

2005. The glazers are wonderful what are you all moaning about.

I won't disagree with the Glazers being the problem but Ed was also a problem. Far more than a yes man - way out of depth on footballing issues but always keen to control them. He's a massive reason why we've been a shambles of a football club in the last 6 years and a laughing stock amongst agents and clubs in the transfer market. He completely threw a wrench in the wage structure. He hired Neil Custis as PR!!

The Glazers are absolutely parasitic but they're not going away and if they do I can bet we aren't getting owners that are happy to bleed the club any less dry. The real issue is ownership in football in general.

What's your issue with Gill? That's actually the first criticism I've heard. As far as footballing issues go, transfer negotiations, the academy, managing commercial matters, dealing with contracts and just running the club well he was always spot on. He has Sir Alex's endorsement as well. Ex-players hold him in high regard. They're all suits at the end of the day and have to answer to the owners, so I hardly expect much more than steadying the ship, getting the right people incharge of football matters and basically doing your business in a discrete and dignified manner. I can't say Ed ever did those things successfully besides expanding our commercial reach.

I won't disagree with the Glazers being the problem but Ed was also a problem. Far more than a yes man - way out of depth on footballing issues but always keen to control them. He's a massive reason why we've been a shambles of a football club in the last 6 years and a laughing stock amongst agents and clubs in the transfer market. He completely threw a wrench in the wage structure. He hired Neil Custis as PR!!

The Glazers are absolutely parasitic but they're not going away and if they do I can bet we aren't getting owners that are happy to bleed the club any less dry. The real issue is ownership in football in general.

What's your issue with Gill? That's actually the first criticism I've heard. As far as footballing issues go, transfer negotiations, the academy, managing commercial matters, dealing with contracts and just running the club well he was always spot on. He has Sir Alex's endorsement as well. Ex-players hold him in high regard. They're all suits at the end of the day and have to answer to the owners, so I hardly expect much more than steadying the ship, getting the right people incharge of football matters and basically doing your business in a discrete and dignified manner. I can't say Ed ever did those things successfully besides expanding our commercial reach.

No offence but you’re a fan from Canada living in Germany. I was living in Manchester 2002-2007. David Gill was a very proactive actor with fan groups and fanzines. Always saying the right thing. Spoke out eloquently about the danger of leveraged buyouts when it was beginning to look likely and signaled an intent to fight it and how he couldn’t see himself working under such a regime. Fast forward to the takeover going through. Took aggressive action in criticising fans who disagreed, particularly the FC United lads, completely divorced the club from its official supporters trust and ended the standard dialogue on fan issues. He conducted a complete volte face on leveraged buy outs and became the primary cheerleader for the Glazer regime. He is absolutely despised amongst a large percentage of the hardcore at United.

For all his flaws, and there are many, Woodward did reopen those communications with fans. Actually listening may be a little way off still...

Last edited:

Let’s also not forget that he oversaw a period of underinvestment in Old Trafford and the playing squad whilst the debt repayments were at their most onerous. Cristiano Ronaldo was sold for £80 million and replaced with Valencia for £16 million and an over the hill Owen on a free. This is at the club which was then still ahead of Madrid on revenues. They should have gone out there and bought world class talent, bursting their own record fee, with that money. Fergie was a genius and kept winning. The underlying flaws in that aging squad were highlighted when lesser managers took over.

Then let’s talk about Old Trafford. Zero investment. The last investment was in 2006 and signed off on before the takeover. It’s still a big and highly historic arena but it’s arcane. It’s a 90s relic left behind. The fucking steel was visibly rusting because they were too tight to paint it. Look at what little Spurs have done, it’s fucking embarrassing.

Last edited:
So since this all over and with the Chelsea draw, Liverpool are still in contention for 4th and that UEFA spot!!!
What? Too soon?

IT’S OVER 🙌

If we stop and celebrate and forget only this attempt is over. Now is the time to put the foot on the gas a protest harder and more vociferously and make the lives of these scumbags as difficult as possible. We can’t stop lobbying to make sure that the government don’t forget and that these reviews on governance and ownership. This is only the first strike in the war.

"We are proposing a new European competition because the existing system does not work. Our proposal is aimed at allowing the sport to evolve while generating resources and stability for the full football pyramid, including helping to overcome the financial difficulties experienced by the entire football community as a result of the pandemic. It would also provide materially enhanced solidarity payments to all football stakeholders.

"Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision to protect the Super League from third party actions.

"Given the current circumstances, we shall reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always having in mind our goals of offering fans the best experience possible while enhancing solidarity payments for the entire football community."

Delighted that it came to an end so quickly. I really expected there to be no way back.

Let's not forget the UEFA reform for the CL is also pretty shit, especially for countries outside the major leagues. It also favours historical performance and could allow for 6 English teams to directly enter at the group stage. Unfortunately that's the lesser of two evils right now and will probably not cause as much of an uproar although it should.

Delighted that it came to an end so quickly. I really expected there to be no way back.

Let's not forget the UEFA reform for the CL is also pretty shit, especially for countries outside the major leagues. It also favours historical performance and could allow for 6 English teams to directly enter at the group stage. Unfortunately that's the lesser of two evils right now and will probably not cause as much of an uproar although it should.
Any system where Ajax and Celtic/Rangers have a harder time getting into the group stages than the 4th placed team in England (or Italy, or Spain) is broken.

This is because it's all geared to making the 'big' 6 happy. Complete mismanagement & a dollop of greed everywhere. I stopped following football in the way I used to. I sometimes think I'd be happier if my team was relegated out of the premiership.

I can't believe the comments coming out the driving force being getting new, young fans. the reason why young people aren't becoming fans in the way they used to is they can't watch football for free on TV & it costs a fortune to to match. Take the money out of the players salaries & make it cheaper for the fans.

In all likelihood this will go ahead but with some element of relegation & promotion. The potential money involved in streaming globally is too much for the clubs & money men to ignore.

(I have got no work done this week & listened to no music, I can't stop listening to Talk Sport)

That's actually the most offensive thing I've read on this forum.

I'm happy not to discuss this further with you.

I sincerely apologise if you were offended by the first paragraph of my post. It wasn't intended that way but if it was taken that way mea culpa. All the best of wishes towards you.

I think we probably should end the discussion now too,

Last edited:
Back