Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

If there’s nothing in your system that’s bothering you sound-wise, sit back and enjoy it!
This is the best advice. I would like to make some upgrades, but as soon as I start shopping for one thing I just fall down the rabbit hole :ROFLMAO:

I blame sitting at a computer all day vs getting to sit in front of my system. I've got more time to read than to listen, that's the real problem.
Right now the research rabbit hole has me contemplating cables, DAC/Streamers, various combinations. It's all becoming a lot. And I'm always considering an amp change for no real reason in the back of my mind. It's always something.

Hopefully this weekend I can just listen and put my mind at ease. I do have a stack of records waiting to be cleaned and spun.

The Denafrips seem to all have great resale value so you could always start further down the line and upgrade later if you desired. Sounds a bit like you’re chasing the dragon! If there’s nothing in your system that’s bothering you sound-wise, sit back and enjoy it!
4 days of the Ares II and it's definitely a sweet spot, hardly what I would consider a compromise as a starting point for a "good" DAC. I can definitely say without hesitation that IF my listening experience ever turns more towards digital, and I mean like in a serious way, the Pontus would come into play..........maybe.

The part of this that really, really kind of blew me away is the quality of my streams from my Plex server, while the server was built mainly for convenience, mostly for when I'm driving, working or taking a walk, I found myself in that "hearing for the first time" state just going from album to album from my tablet and enjoying the sound as I would a good vinyl pressing.

On a side note, I haven't cracked this open to see what firmware it has, have you done the update? I'm kind of hearing it's worth it?

4 days of the Ares II and it's definitely a sweet spot, hardly what I would consider a compromise as a starting point for a "good" DAC. I can definitely say without hesitation that IF my listening experience ever turns more towards digital, and I mean like in a serious way, the Pontus would come into play..........maybe.

The part of this that really, really kind of blew me away is the quality of my streams from my Plex server, while the server was built mainly for convenience, mostly for when I'm driving, working or taking a walk, I found myself in that "hearing for the first time" state just going from album to album from my tablet and enjoying the sound as I would a good vinyl pressing.

On a side note, I haven't cracked this open to see what firmware it has, have you done the update? I'm kind of hearing it's worth it?
I haven’t had the time to do the firmware update yet. Need to open it and then send a picture of the chip to Alvin and he will send you the right instructions for how to update

DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update | SupportVinshineAudio

I think the Pontus may be in the cards for me eventually and then I’d move my Ares to my office. But I think the Kinki amp upgrade may be first

Plex as a music server is great. I wish it had Qobuz integration. If that ever happens it would be an excellent alternative to Roon for music only purposes.

I haven’t had the time to do the firmware update yet. Need to open it and then send a picture of the chip to Alvin and he will send you the right instructions for how to update

DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update | SupportVinshineAudio

I think the Pontus may be in the cards for me eventually and then I’d move my Ares to my office. But I think the Kinki amp upgrade may be first
Kinki is good. Just saying.

Got my amp back today after weeks away in repair and they forgot to ship the power cord back. :(

Called Denon to see if they'd send me one and they said I should have never sent an "accessory" and that I'd need to buy a power cord from them. Gross.

Hoping the servicer can mail it back.

Edit: called back in and (a different) Denon rep initiated a request for a new power cable. So first rep was just a meanie.

Last edited:
@Jbraswell did you check these guys out when you were SUT shopping?
Congrats. Looks like a great product.

I didn't check out any other SUTs because I bought used looking for a deal.
Plus, a review I read on my phono amp sold me on the cinemags.

I'm still impressed with the vocals and guitar strings sound even today.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Update on my Fonolab SUT. It's only been a couple days, but I've worked my way through a few genres of music and a range from audiophile to average pressings. Without a doubt this is the single piece of gear that's had the most impact on my system. I'm sure that part of it is that the Goldring Elite can finally shine, but my speakers and my phono stage no longer seem like the bottleneck in my system. I'm sure once I upgrade those it'll be even better, but I don't feel like they are necessary upgrades to the extent that I did last week. The speakers especially are complete transformed by what the SUT is doing. I can pick out each and every instrument in every genre. Even crummy pressings suddenly sound much better. You can still hear the defects and pops, but there is no background noise that isn't a result of the pressing anymore. The low end and the high end, which I always felt were a little less than they should be are now clearly there. I feel the bass and there's no loss of clarity and detail on the high end. I didn't realize what I was missing in the mids before either. How a passive device can have this much of an effect on the quality blows my mind. I honestly don't get it, but I've never been so stunned by the sound of my system. My wife, who lovingly thinks we're all dumb for our hobby 😁, even came in and stood for a minute and asked if I'd changed anything because she said she could actually hear a difference and finally understood what I meant when I said vinyl sounds better. She was genuinely surprised by it. So this is a ringing endorsement for Fonolab. Heck of a Czech engineering team.

Update on my Fonolab SUT. It's only been a couple days, but I've worked my way through a few genres of music and a range from audiophile to average pressings. Without a doubt this is the single piece of gear that's had the most impact on my system. I'm sure that part of it is that the Goldring Elite can finally shine, but my speakers and my phono stage no longer seem like the bottleneck in my system. I'm sure once I upgrade those it'll be even better, but I don't feel like they are necessary upgrades to the extent that I did last week. The speakers especially are complete transformed by what the SUT is doing. I can pick out each and every instrument in every genre. Even crummy pressings suddenly sound much better. You can still hear the defects and pops, but there is no background noise that isn't a result of the pressing anymore. The low end and the high end, which I always felt were a little less than they should be are now clearly there. I feel the bass and there's no loss of clarity and detail on the high end. I didn't realize what I was missing in the mids before either. How a passive device can have this much of an effect on the quality blows my mind. I honestly don't get it, but I've never been so stunned by the sound of my system. My wife, who lovingly thinks we're all dumb for our hobby 😁, even came in and stood for a minute and asked if I'd changed anything because she said she could actually hear a difference and finally understood what I meant when I said vinyl sounds better. She was genuinely surprised by it. So this is a ringing endorsement for Fonolab. Heck of a Czech engineering team.
Nice. Glad you are getting the result. It's some black magic in a small package.

Dumb question but I gotta ask. What does an SUT do that a phono preamp doesn't? And are all phono preamps lacking this (whatever it is?!)?

Dumb question but I gotta ask. What does an SUT do that a phono preamp doesn't? And are all phono preamps lacking this (whatever it is?!)?

So if you have an MM/MC capable phono stage nothing in terms of extra options. But a number of people prefer the sound of the passively amplified SUT to the active stage in most phono preamps for adding the gain for the gap between an MM and MC. You can put your phono into MM mode and use it to add the extra amplification the MC needs if you prefer that sound.

For an MM only phono stage it lets you start using MC cartridges without buying a whole new stage, especially if you really like how your stage sounds.

So if you have an MM/MC capable phono stage nothing in terms of extra options. But a number of people prefer the sound of the passively amplified SUT to the active stage in most phono preamps for adding the gain for the gap between an MM and MC. You can put your phono into MM mode and use it to add the extra amplification the MC needs if you prefer that sound.

For an MM only phono stage it lets you start using MC cartridges without buying a whole new stage, especially if you really like how your stage sounds.
Okay, makes sense. Thank you. I'm going to assume that something akin to this is built into my Gold Note PH-10, which has MM and MC options, each with different inherent gain settings (45dB and 65dB, respectively).

Transformers are the main difference but there's also different levels of transformers like any other audio component in this hobby. Transformers are a more natural sound to input gain in the signal path vs just dropping in a switch like most phono stages do for MC capability.

This cinemag factory tour kind of explains the craftsmanship and magic involved to make transformers. Notice some made by hand and some made by machine. The later are the less expensive and less sophisticated designs.

I liked this article on it.

"Where phono stages, as part of their signal amplification, will have a constant resistive input impedance, Step-Up Transformers have an input impedance that is frequency-dependent. Step-Up Transformers are also passive (i.e. not mains powered) devices, which also reduces the chance of external electrical forces impacting the cartridge's low output signal. The result of a Step-Up Transformer's design is that they are able to amplify the MC output level and produce less harmonic distortion as the frequency rises - which is the opposite effect of a phono stage. This results in a cleaner electrical signal and more dynamic sound performance from the cartridge in a wider, deeper soundstage."

Another aspect of SUTs is that they offer signal gain with virtually no added noise, unlike the active amplification of MC phonostages where noise tends to increase with gain. I believe the embedded SUT in my Bryston phono was the reason I immediately preferred it.

Here's what Bryston's Chris Russell had to say about the addition of a SUT into his design:

“Moving coil cartridges actually produce more output power than moving magnet cartridges, but it’s a lower voltage and higher current. A transformer can take advantage of that power by simply stepping the voltage up to the range the phono stage is designed to accept. There is little to no noise penalty for this process, as the only noise introduced is the real part of the transformer’s load impedance; the DC resistance of the windings. In fact, an optimally matched transformer step-up can even improve the S/N of the phono stage slightly by using an MC cartridge’s extra signal power. In most cases, the x20 transformer step-up is accomplished with very little noise penalty”.

Bought the JBL 4309 just now. I have the HDI-1600 now and they share the same compression driver. My hope is I get a lot of what I like from the 1600 while improving the "play" with my roomroom with the front ported 4309. Worst case scenario I return or sell the 4309 (on sale for $1200, about what they go for used).

Another aspect of SUTs is that they offer signal gain with virtually no added noise, unlike the active amplification of MC phonostages where noise tends to increase with gain. I believe the embedded SUT in my Bryston phono was the reason I immediately preferred it.

Here's what Bryston's Chris Russell had to say about the addition of a SUT into his design:

“Moving coil cartridges actually produce more output power than moving magnet cartridges, but it’s a lower voltage and higher current. A transformer can take advantage of that power by simply stepping the voltage up to the range the phono stage is designed to accept. There is little to no noise penalty for this process, as the only noise introduced is the real part of the transformer’s load impedance; the DC resistance of the windings. In fact, an optimally matched transformer step-up can even improve the S/N of the phono stage slightly by using an MC cartridge’s extra signal power. In most cases, the x20 transformer step-up is accomplished with very little noise penalty”.
Sigh. I'm going to buy a Denon AU-320, aren't I.

I'm honestly considering it just so I don't have to open up my 20/20 every time I want to move between an MM/HOMC and my Zephyr MIMC Star.

Back