Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

I haven’t heard the Ares, so my knowledge of any differences is purely spec based stuff from their website.

I heard the Venus (original) and thought it was nice, but … its sound was more analytical and tighter. Not my bag. The Pontus II 12th-1 I have is more like a suspended turntable sound. Not quite as crisp but with a great drive and easy to sink into and enjoy the tunes.

From all accounts that I’ve read, the Terminator/II/Plus are outstanding but more alike to the Venus. Which, from the audition I had, wasn’t what I personally was looking for.

My next DAC* may be something along the lines of Lab12 Dac1 Reference, Aqua La Scala II Opthilogic or, if I win the lottery or one of my kids decides to skip college but still moves out, an MSB. The Lab12 is the least expensive, there’s an open box one at TMR currently for not much more than I paid for the Pontus II/Iris combo I have. I’m tempted to buy it and try it. Aqua La Scala’s pop up used for around $4k somewhat regularly. MSB Discrete’s go for $9k+ used, depending on modules and power supplies. That’s more than I’d like to stomach for a DAC, though they have amazing service, resale, and an awesome upgrade plan at MSB.

Denafrips are made like Boulder Amps, solid construction throughout. I doubt you’d be disappointed with any, but there’s no return policy so try your best to get an in person demo before you buy.

*I may also just get an all-in-one. I wanted to hear about @Slimwhit33 ‘s experience with the Lumin due to this. I may try a HiFi Rose RS150b and see how it compares to what I have. I’d like to save space on the new audio rack I’m ordering.
Thanks for the response. I’m going to keep an eye out for a used Ares or Pontus to get my R2R fix.

I haven’t heard the Ares, so my knowledge of any differences is purely spec based stuff from their website.

I heard the Venus (original) and thought it was nice, but … its sound was more analytical and tighter. Not my bag. The Pontus II 12th-1 I have is more like a suspended turntable sound. Not quite as crisp but with a great drive and easy to sink into and enjoy the tunes.

From all accounts that I’ve read, the Terminator/II/Plus are outstanding but more alike to the Venus. Which, from the audition I had, wasn’t what I personally was looking for.

My next DAC* may be something along the lines of Lab12 Dac1 Reference, Aqua La Scala II Opthilogic or, if I win the lottery or one of my kids decides to skip college but still moves out, an MSB. The Lab12 is the least expensive, there’s an open box one at TMR currently for not much more than I paid for the Pontus II/Iris combo I have. I’m tempted to buy it and try it. Aqua La Scala’s pop up used for around $4k somewhat regularly. MSB Discrete’s go for $9k+ used, depending on modules and power supplies. That’s more than I’d like to stomach for a DAC, though they have amazing service, resale, and an awesome upgrade plan at MSB.

Denafrips are made like Boulder Amps, solid construction throughout. I doubt you’d be disappointed with any, but there’s no return policy so try your best to get an in person demo before you buy.

*I may also just get an all-in-one. I wanted to hear about @Slimwhit33 ‘s experience with the Lumin due to this. I may try a HiFi Rose RS150b and see how it compares to what I have. I’d like to save space on the new audio rack I’m ordering.

I’d interested to hear what you make of Lab 12. Their Melto 2 phono is in the lists of phono stages that interest me!

Last edited:
Well, got my answers and the Lumin is also headed back. I actually had a great time over the last few days A/B testing the Lumin against the Node/Luxman combo. Had both hooked up to the preamp so was as simple as switching the input on the PL and the output on ROON.

What it came down to in the end was that the Lumin sounded slightly thinner.. there was just a bit less presence there. Now maybe the Luxman DAC has a hint of warmth and I’m used to that, but either way I prefer the Luxman and I just can’t justify doling out the extra dough for no sound improvement.

These last couple months have made me realize that the equipment hunt just may be over. I’ve reached the point of diminishing returns and I’m oddly happy about the realization.

At this point I’m going to hold off on any other changes (maybe a new cartridge) until my Decware is ready next year. I need some time to figure that out anyways… not sure I’m going to want to replace the Luxman.

Time to enjoy the new stuff others get for a while!
I understand that diminishing returns feeling. I would have been surprised if the Lumin had blown the Luxman out of the water.

Well, got my answers and the Lumin is also headed back. I actually had a great time over the last few days A/B testing the Lumin against the Node/Luxman combo. Had both hooked up to the preamp so was as simple as switching the input on the PL and the output on ROON.

What it came down to in the end was that the Lumin sounded slightly thinner.. there was just a bit less presence there. Now maybe the Luxman DAC has a hint of warmth and I’m used to that, but either way I prefer the Luxman and I just can’t justify doling out the extra dough for no sound improvement.

These last couple months have made me realize that the equipment hunt just may be over. I’ve reached the point of diminishing returns and I’m oddly happy about the realization.

At this point I’m going to hold off on any other changes (maybe a new cartridge) until my Decware is ready next year. I need some time to figure that out anyways… not sure I’m going to want to replace the Luxman.

You may want to note the sale as “off” in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum, as it appears to still be on.

Just in time, too, as that Luxman was speaking to me. Whew!

Face it, now that the D-03X is staying and you still want a removable headshell, the Luxman amp and CD player really want a little brother!
😈😂

Face it, now that the D-03X is staying and you still want a removable headshell, the Luxman amp and CD player really want a little brother!
😈😂

Ha! I’ve always got my eyes open for a used 151/171.

I’m looking for a little feedback. I’m debating between two different audio/display consoles. They are both mildly modified versions of the photos below.

The first is from Tactile Audio Furniture here in Colorado.

IMG_1903.jpeg

I’d have the speaker enclosure changed to display cabinets in addition to having the size of the “receiver box” enlarged a bit to fit my Luxman, and maybe another shelf added in the middle going from side to side like the white shelf on the bottom. I’d also add lighting to the display cases. To keep other symmetry of the design the display cases would be enlarged to the same size as the receiver box.

The other is from What We Make.

IMG_1904.jpeg

Less changes to this. It would be in walnut and have the height of the top shelf increased by about 4”. It would also be a custom width of 66”.

The equipment it will be holding is:
Luxman L-509x amp
Rega P8/10 turntable (looking for a good deal on a used 10, currently have a P8)
Allnic H-1201 phono
HiFi Rose RS150b
All components above in silver/natural brushed aluminum finish.
Audioquest Niagara 1200 in charcoal gray, will be replaced eventually by a Niagara 3000.

Behind/above will be a 4’ x 8’ Vicoustic VicStrip in walnut. Maybe a small painting, unsure on the painting.

The Vicstrip
IMG_1905.jpeg

The display cases and other shelves I’ll hold a combo of hand blown glass, antique and rare books, photos and a table lamp. Room is roughly mid/mod inspired.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

I’m looking for a little feedback. I’m debating between two different audio/display consoles. They are both mildly modified versions of the photos below.

View attachment 200552

I’d have the speaker enclosure changed to display cabinets in addition to having the size of the “receiver box” enlarged a bit to fit my Luxman, and maybe another shelf added in the middle going from side to side like the white shelf on the bottom. I’d also add lighting to the display cases. To keep other symmetry of the design the display cases would be enlarged to the same size as the receiver box.

View attachment 200555

Less changes to this. It would be in walnut and have the height of the top shelf increased by about 4”. It would also be a custom width of 66”.

Luxman L-509x amp
Rega P8/10 turntable (looking for a good deal on a used 10, currently have a P8)
Allnic H-1201 phono
HiFi Rose RS150b
Audioquest Niagara 1200 in charcoal gray, will be replaced eventually by a Niagara 3000.

Behind/above will be a 4’ x 8’ Vicoustic VicStrip in walnut. Maybe a small painting, unsure on the painting.

The Vicstrip
View attachment 200559

The display cases and other shelves I’ll hold a combo of hand blown glass, antique and rare books, photos and a table lamp. Room is roughly mid/mod inspired.

What would you use the drawers for on that second option?

One would hold spare tubes for the Allnic, a record brush, a stylus brush, Zero Stat, and a microfiber cloth. Also my MacBook and charger.

The other two would hold, whatever my wife wants to put in them.
Cool. As long as you can put them to good use because otherwise that's a lot of space not devoted to records/stereo gear. To my thinking, if I'm spending significant buckage on a unit for audio display/record storage, I'm going to want most of what I paid for to be devoted to those purposes. But again, if the drawer space seems more like a bonus than a compromise, then it's a nice looking unit.

View attachment 200552

View attachment 200555

Luxman L-509x amp
Allnic H-1201 phono
HiFi Rose RS150b

The Vicstrip
View attachment 200559

The second console.

Bought an OC9XEN just now. Been eyeing carts in the sub-$500 range for a minute and was debating the Nagaoka 110/200/300, Grado Opus 3, importing assorted AT MC carts, an Ortofon Quintet and a few others....the XEN seems to meet my needs of wanting fidelity and detail from an MC cart, while having a fairly forgiving stylus profile for some older beat up records.

Sadly, might not get much use for the coming weeks as I'll likely be down a TT for a bit with repairs (though I am potentially grabbing one from someone here)

Revamping my system

Out with the SL-1210GR
In with the SL-1210GR2

Out with the Parasound Halo P6 Preamplifier
In with the Rogue Audio RP-1 Preamplifier
In with the Skunkie Phono Pramplifier
Working with Pine Tree on a Passive RCA Input/Output switch

Out with the Magnepan LRS+
Have two new Madisound speaker builds in the works

Traded off a lot of equipment
Waiting for a KT88 Tube Amp

Revamping my system

Out with the SL-1210GR
In with the SL-1210GR2

Out with the Parasound Halo P6 Preamplifier
In with the Rogue Audio RP-1 Preamplifier
In with the Skunkie Phono Pramplifier
Working with Pine Tree on a Passive RCA Input/Output switch

Out with the Magnepan LRS+
Have two new Madisound speaker builds in the works

Traded off a lot of equipment
Waiting for a KT88 Tube Amp
Those are some big changes! Congrats and let us know how everything turns out!

Here is the design for my new passive “preamplifier” aka RCA input/output switch.
It should look better in real life.

The design is described as:

“The Alps will work on any input source you have selected(1-8) and will then feed to any you have selected (1-8).

The sub out will always follow the input you choose and will also be fed in accordance with the Alps level setting.

For example a signal path might be:

Input 3 selected

Level control at 12 o'clock

Output 1 selected

Sub outs fed the Input 3 source

The switches I spec'd are the rotary type that have a very positive action.

This device will allow you to choose any source and feed it to any destination and also have level control and output to the sub.”

IMG_0164.jpeg

Back