Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

To be honest there’s still that divide US XL was pressed at Rainbo and all the Radiohead ones have the reputation of sounding like arse. The EU are pressed at optimal and are a mixed bag but can sound good, particularly on pre A Moon Shaped Pool, I think every vinyl edition of that sounds like shit, ironically none more so than the expensive box set which sounds like a detuned radio.
Such a shame because AMSP kicks ass...Decks Deck Is such a banger

Hmm interesting. And how does your copy sound?

A lot better than kid a, I have the crappy Capitol one of that. It’s not a par with the Parlophone The Bends and nowhere close to the In Rainbows diskbox. So I suppose it’s fine, maybe even good.

Such a shame because AMSP kicks ass...Decks Deck Is such a banger
AMSP is one of their best in my humble opinion, and the white vinyl looks so amazing with the album cover, which is why I hate that both copies I own sound pretty doo-doo. The one I got for LRSD is slightly better but is still plagued with surface noise and heaps of distortion. I think the album itself is just so loud (as most RH recordings are) that every pressing is "hot" if that makes sense. If someone were to remaster it to be a bit more dynamic and press it with some care, it could easily be one of the best sounding Radiohead pressings there is. As it stands now, it's just a case of great music does not always equal great pressing.

I stopped into an independent screen printer where I was working today to pick up an order. I saw this shirt on the way in so I had to take a picture to share here.

04D4886C-33E3-4693-9ABC-E5B72183ED68.jpeg

I stopped into an independent screen printer where I was working today to pick up an order. I saw this shirt on the way in so I had to take a picture to share here.

View attachment 66777
I have that shirt! Or at least one very similar. I got it when I saw them live (I think its buried in a drawer somewhere cuz I haven't worn it a while)

OH GEEZE DID I START A MESS. Amnesiac is I think the second-best sounding Radiohead thing I have after In Rainbows. And because I'm nuts I often add how much I got for to Discogs notes so I can say…

Double NM Parlophone pressing for $20.48 + $18 shipping from a Japanese retailer as of 20 September 2015. Came with poly 10“ sleeves. Probably one of my best purchases honestly, up there with a sealed Parlophone second-press of Kid A for $14.99 + $3.22 shipping because the seller didn't realize it was/didn't list it as a Parlophone copy. And I'd reckon it's an early one too because it looks more like the Discogs images for the first press than the second!

Is there any kind of definitive best pressings list for each album? I've got Bends, OKC, OKNOTOK, Kid A 10", Amnesiac 45RPM, HTTT 45RPM, I Might Be Wrong, In Rainbows 07 EU, & AMSP Special Book.

OKNOTOK sounds pretty bad... and I'm not thrilled with my Kid A press.

Is there any kind of definitive best pressings list for each album? I've got Bends, OKC, OKNOTOK, Kid A 10", Amnesiac 45RPM, HTTT 45RPM, I Might Be Wrong, In Rainbows 07 EU, & AMSP Special Book.

OKNOTOK sounds pretty bad... and I'm not thrilled with my Kid A press.
My understanding is Parlophone is the best for everything from Pablo Honey to Hail to the Thief, the special editions for In Rainbows and The King of Limbs, and with A Moon Shaped Pool and OKNOTOK it's more about having the EU press and NOT the US press - book editions for both would use the EU press, but the indie color variants of the normal editions have separate EU and US presses. Parlophone availaibility is all over the place, in the EU they kept pressing OK Computer and Hail to the Thief basically until XL took over, but Kid A and Amnesiac were remastered several times under Capitol. Best thing to do is look at Discogs and see if the runouts match the originals.

EDIT: And yeah, the Capitol Kid As are not great, because I don't think any of the Capitol Radiohead presses are good. CD masters, URP manufacturing…

My understanding is Parlophone is the best for everything from Pablo Honey to Hail to the Thief, the special editions for In Rainbows and The King of Limbs, and with A Moon Shaped Pool and OKNOTOK it's more about having the EU press and NOT the US press - book editions for both would use the EU press, but the indie color variants of the normal editions have separate EU and US presses. Parlophone availaibility is all over the place, in the EU they kept pressing OK Computer and Hail to the Thief basically until XL took over, but Kid A and Amnesiac were remastered several times under Capitol. Best thing to do is look at Discogs and see if the runouts match the originals.

EDIT: And yeah, the Capitol Kid As are not great, because I don't think any of the Capitol Radiohead presses are good. CD masters, URP manufacturing…

Id agree with all of this except to say that the AMSP book sounds like arse because they used the cheapest inner sleeves you can imagine and they’re nearly all scratched to funk.

I have a later Parlophone press of the bends, it’s the only Parlophone one that I have, and it’s easily better than the XLs, only the diskbox and newspaper editions are better.

Id agree with all of this except to say that the AMSP book sounds like arse because they used the cheapest inner sleeves you can imagine and they’re nearly all scratched to funk.

I have a later Parlophone press of the bends, it’s the only Parlophone one that I have, and it’s easily better than the XLs, only the diskbox and newspaper editions are better.
Go OG, just bite the bullet and buy buy buy😂

Discogs does list a 2009 repress of The Bends using the Parlophone plates and yes I am tempted. I think I remember seeing the same for Pablo Honey, and I actually have a Parlophone OK Computer.

Aha, and does anyone know where I can get a guaranteed Optimal press of Amnesiac. Every single one I've tried to get has been GZ and they've all been totally effed up. I finally gave up, my copy is a mess. Cogs lists like 118 for sale but I'm betting most are actually the GZ press.
Revisiting this. I got a 2x45 repress of Amnesiac on discogs for make an offer a few months ago. It was at $26 and the details said “almost no offer is too low!” I got it for $16 shipped. Of course it was listed as an Optimal press but was definitely GZ when it arrived. It sounds...fine. But still frustrating. Since I got it for so cheap, I didn’t complain to the discogs seller though.

Discogs does list a 2009 repress of The Bends using the Parlophone plates and yes I am tempted. I think I remember seeing the same for Pablo Honey, and I actually have a Parlophone OK Computer.

This is the one I have, from a bit later in 2014 but it appears to have the same run out groove info as the OG.

So I bought the In Rainbows Diskbox a few months back. It's in pretty great shape aside from Side B of Disk 1 being messed up. Side B has some weird damage that looks like heat damage or something? I don't really understand how it could have happened...I think it still plays but it has noise throughout (I can play test it again for anybody interested...) Anywho, I got it for $40. My goal was to hopefully just find a copy with a good disc 1, since the rest of the package is good, and make a Franken-box.

I just ended up getting a NM copy on eBay for a good price. If anybody has any interest in buying my older copy for $40 + shipping and try to make their own franken-box, please let me know! I figured I'd post in here first and will make a For Sale post if nobody here has any interest.

So I bought the In Rainbows Diskbox a few months back. It's in pretty great shape aside from Side B of Disk 1 being messed up. Side B has some weird damage that looks like heat damage or something? I don't really understand how it could have happened...I think it still plays but it has noise throughout (I can play test it again for anybody interested...) Anywho, I got it for $40. My goal was to hopefully just find a copy with a good disc 1, since the rest of the package is good, and make a Franken-box.

I just ended up getting a NM copy on eBay for a good price. If anybody has any interest in buying my older copy for $40 + shipping and try to make their own franken-box, please let me know! I figured I'd post in here first and will make a For Sale post if nobody here has any interest.
I'd take you up on that but unfortunately it's also Disc 1 Side 2 I'm after - mine's audibly off-center, unfortunately.

Back