Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

The Bends doesn't just have the best B-sides, but probably the most too. You could make an entire other album with the B-sides from that era and it honestly could stack up against some of their proper albums with the quality of some of those songs.

I actually did that once. Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bends - Side B

Is it weird I've always thought that Hail to the Thief would make a good introduction album?? You've got more cerebral, yet still raucous songs ("2+2=5"), the electronic experimentation ("Backdrifts" and "The Gloaming"), the big epic crowd pleasers ("There There"), quiet and beautiful ballads ("Sail to the Moon", "Scatterbrain" and "I Will)", more straightforward rock songs ("Go to Sleep") and others that blur the line between all of these subcategories.

To me, it's a very diverse album that gives you every shade of Radiohead you need to know about.

Is it weird I've always thought that Hail to the Thief would make a good introduction album?? You've got more cerebral, yet still raucous songs ("2+2=5"), the electronic experimentation ("Backdrifts" and "The Gloaming"), the big epic crowd pleasers ("There There"), quiet and beautiful ballads ("Sail to the Moon", "Scatterbrain" and "I Will)", more straightforward rock songs ("Go to Sleep") and others that blur the line between all of these subcategories.

To me, it's a very diverse album that gives you every shade of Radiohead you need to know about.

But for such a focused band it’s a bit of a mess and the QC is a bit off in parts.

That said I have a very sentimental attachment to it because I saw them a good few times on that tour including The Glastonbury gig above!

But for such a focused band it’s a bit of a mess and the QC is a bit off in parts.

That said I have a very sentimental attachment to it because I saw them a good few times on that tour including The Glastonbury gig above!
Yeah, I agree, I love the album but it's hardly their most cohesive release, which itself could alienate a newbie to them. I'd say OK Computer then. It's more complex and artistically mature than the Bends, but less experimental and mindbending than Kid A, which makes it a perfect balance for someone to figure out what side of Radiohead appeals to them more, the 90s alt-rockers or the 2000s avant-garde experimenters.

Oh so it could be a year of getting both stuff from it and Amnesiac next year! AMAZING!
Absolutely! Since they were recorded together, that makes sense. Would love a huge set of both albums, all Amnesiac b-sides, and outtakes. Might have to skip the mortgage payment that month, but I'm sure my bank won't mind just once ;)

I might say In Rainbows; it’s my favorite Radiohead album, it has the weird but it’s all in service of their most beautiful songs.
In Rainbows is my favorite album of all time, and for some reason I never think of it as an album I'd introduce people to Radiohead with. I feel like maybe I think it's too late in their career? Or maybe part of it is I fear it's giving them the best too early and they won't think the rest will live up to it lol

Pablo Honey has some great songs(Blow Out,Ripcord, Stop Whispering and I like Thinking about you)

I always recommend In Rainbows because I think it's the most accesible and also has most of the styles of the bands different "eras/sound".

But I personally love Amnesiac. That's my favorite album from them.

I loved Philip's "Familial" when it releases, haven't listened to it in a while though, if I recall he had another album out right? I'm also excited to check Ed's new one(think it was releasing this year?).
Yeah, I think Selway has two. I remember reading about Ed's upcoming album and the article I saw kind of made it sound like it wasn't purely a solo album but maybe a group he was forming?? Idk, the details on that are still kind of hazy from what I can tell, but I'll definitely be checking it out when it drops, whatever it is!

Back