Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

I thought most sites had the vinyl release date as 7/19?

In my mind I just assumed this came out Friday. I'll have to make sure I get a listen in today.
Yeah 19/7 was when I thought it was too!

Oh shit, you're right! Awesome!

I was turned around bc the link someone posted earlier for the ANIMA Deluxe box set on amazon says it will be released August 16th.

But I didn't splurge on that sucker, so I just went back and checked with the order i made for the orange vinyl, and yes, 7/19!

I suppose I really need to listen to Anima a few more times, because, while I definitely enjoyed it, I'm not quite sure what people are hearing that makes them feel like this is so much better than or different from his previous solo work. For me, this album sounded very similar to the music on The Eraser, TMB and even parts of Amok and didn't have too many surprises to it sonically. I didn't exactly feel the big progression or jump in quality everyone else did, although I wish I did. I want to praise it right there with everyone else, but my feelings on it right now are much more muted than the other people around here.

I suppose I really need to listen to Anima a few more times, because, while I definitely enjoyed it, I'm not quite sure what people are hearing that makes them feel like this is so much better than or different from his previous solo work. For me, this album sounded very similar to the music on The Eraser, TMB and even parts of Amok and didn't have too many surprises to it sonically. I didn't exactly feel the big progression or jump in quality everyone else did, although I wish I did. I want to praise it right there with everyone else, but my feelings on it right now are much more muted than the other people around here.

I don’t think that’s it’s a stylistic leap and that’s not what I’m hearing to be honest. For me it’s more that he’s finally refined and perfected that same style to a point where he’s created what I see as a great album rather than his previous albums which had great moments.

My reactions to music are such that I have a horrible time putting them into words with explanations that might seem convincing or logical. So my primary response is purely subjective, in that ANIMA has hit me so much more deeply than The Eraser, TMB and Amok ever did, especially in my initial reaction. I mean, I think that three songs off ANIMA ( Twist, Dawn Chorus, Not The News ) are three of the best non-Radiohead Yorke songs I've heard. Then I pop open Netflix last night and the short film is there, and I'm hooked even deeper into this album/ short film experience. If I were to try to describe why I feel this way, perhaps I'd say the twitchy electronics present in songs of his previous albums kept me from full investment. This stuff is still on ANIMA, but it feels more refined, and more balanced with the lyrics, drums, and melodies. Also, there does seem to be more melodic content on ANIMA, and I'm a huge sucker for Yorke-created melodic content.

It reminds me a lot of Eraser which is an excellent album. You're right in the sense that if we were to overlay the list of Thom's solo albums against Radiohead albums this would still not stack up. If it was any other front man of any other band I would have probably not picked up the deluxe. Also, add to this it's done by Stanley Donwood and I love his work, for me, like Nigel he's basically a member of Radiohead. It's a solid 7-8/10 though for me - my favourite album of his (including Atoms for Peace) would still be The Eraser though.

Also Dawn Chorus :love:

I love you. Though the Bull Moose record apparently sold out halfway through my ordering process. It let me add it to the cart, then I tried to check out and it was all "just kidding, you can't buy this." Now it says it is not available. Was able to grab it from Port of Sound though.

The deluxe version is out of my budget, sadly, but I'm happy with the orange vinyl. I love Thom's solo stuff so much, and I've been listening to Anima on repeat all morning. Excited for this.

I love you. Though the Bull Moose record apparently sold out halfway through my ordering process. It let me add it to the cart, then I tried to check out and it was all "just kidding, you can't buy this." Now it says it is not available. Was able to grab it from Port of Sound though.

The deluxe version is out of my budget, sadly, but I'm happy with the orange vinyl. I love Thom's solo stuff so much, and I've been listening to Anima on repeat all morning. Excited for this.
The Bull Moose listing is still showing up as in stock for me? Or, at the very least, it's giving me the option to add it to my basket.

The Bull Moose listing is still showing up as in stock for me? Or, at the very least, it's giving me the option to add it to my basket.

So weird. It is still showing as not available for me. I wonder if it would suddenly be unavailable if you tried to go through the checkout process. It wasn't until I input my shipping info that it changed to not available.

Untitled.jpg

So weird. It is still showing as not available for me. I wonder if it would suddenly be unavailable if you tried to go through the checkout process. It wasn't until I input my shipping info that it changed to not available.

View attachment 8961
Maybe? I don't want to try to check out to test it in case it does go through, but I'm not sure what the deal is. I know when I do eventually buy it (hopefully 😓), I'll just avoid Bull Moose to be safe.

I enjoyed the PTA-directed short film, it was a little awkward and kinda cute seeing Thom as somewhat of a romantic lead opposite his real life gf, but the man is obviously in love. I need to spend real time with the album, I listened through once and was pleased that 5 of the songs he performed live when I saw him in December. I thought the new songs sounded fantastic live so I think this could easily be his best solo album.

This album is truly something else. Even within the danciest beats there is so much depth and complexity. I think Thom's lyricism develops and expands with every album, and this is so great.

I can't help but be absolutely floored by Dawn Chorus. It's crazy to think he has been working on this song for 10 years now. Even the LLC that AMSP was released under was Dawn Chorus LLC. It seems to be very special to him and you can feel that. To me that song builds on the themes of AMSP. "I think I missed something, but I'm not sure what." Fuck.

Back