Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

In Rainbows box set arrived yesterday in good shape. Played it just now. The woozing sound seemed to be from the massive warp on the 2nd side of the first disc. It was fine during Weird Fishes but very noticeable on All I Need in the quieter parts and throughout Faust Arp since it's a softer song. I wonder if the sound would be lessened by flattening the vinyl? I watched the record as it revolved and every time the warp came up, it made the woozing sound. It's not a deal killer. The rest of the album was heavenly. I heard new instruments and so much more detail on this set than the previous ones. I'm very happy with the purchase. I may hit up our Vinyl Flatners to see if they can help out. I'm going to place it under some thick books to see if it can help even a little bit.
It... MIGHT be lessened? Here's the thing, I'm not entirely sure that the warp is causing the woosh, I actually think it's the whoosh causing the warp... Or rather, the pressing defect has caused the warp to happen and unwarping it LIKELY won't really help the noise. I have a tiny tiny amount of that noise on mine in the same spots. It's a couple seconds, but it's there. And my copy is a little warped, but if I flatten it with my clamp, the noise is still there. Now I don't know how warped yours is so it might help? But I suspect just due to the sheer number of these copies that have that whooshing issue, and the fact that through my hundreds and hundreds and thousands of warped albums I've never had a single one that made a whooshing noise like this that was fixed by flattening, that it's likely not actually the movement of the needle that's causing it. But it can't hurt to GENTLY try to flatten it.

Last edited:
Back