I love Betty Davis and feel meh about Fiona Apple . Tell me why I’m wrong

Is this the point where the pedantic asshole in me is supposed to mention that criminal was the second video?
Nah it's not being an asshole. I didn't know that. I just remember the one that was controversial at the time because she was rumored to be 17 and mostly undressed during most of the video. I'll youtube her and see if her other videos rings a bell.

Don't like Fiona?!?!?

View attachment 13823

I kid I kid, but hey...it is all personal preference. I love Fiona, and found Betty Davis's voice to be akin to nails on a chalkboard. But that is what makes music great
LOL at first listen I thought Betty sounded like a cat in heat, It actually grew on me after a few listens.

Don't like Fiona?!?!?

View attachment 13823

I kid I kid, but hey...it is all personal preference. I love Fiona, and found Betty Davis's voice to be akin to nails on a chalkboard. But that is what makes music great
Oh I don't dislike her at all. I just kind of had her lumped in with all the other Lilith Fair artists. They all had a few good songs. It wasn't until I came on here and the VMP forums that I started hearing her name pop up so frequently. At some point she gained kind of a cult status and I think I missed when that happened.

Hiya @Rahawk2 ! Cool question and you got lots of info.

When Fiona was "big" I was not a fan. I was very much not into the Lillith Fair artists (that's almost like a genre, isn't it?) and I, too, lumped her in with them. And then, she faded from my mind and, I thought, most people's minds. When I joined the old forum, oh so many years ago, I was surprised by the enthusiasm surrounding her and getting her albums repressed. So I revisited her. And younger teeeee was mistaken. Fiona is great. I don't think casual music listeners would be familiar with her stuff. I think she has a more of a cult following, although that isn't even the right word because that album sold the eff out quickly when VMP announced. I'm not sure if she has done this intentionally or not, but the mystique surrounding her may be because she is so private.

Point being, check Fiona out.

I just kind of had her lumped in with all the other Lilith Fair artists.
This isn’t really wrong honestly. It’s certainly in that genre technically. But I think Fiona is a stronger writer that most of her peers, and her music has a lot of darkness to it that I enjoy. That’s all personal opinion of course.

@Rahawk2 to give some perspective from a personal point of how much Tidal stuck with me personally over the years, I’ll share a little story.
Most of my musical preferences are typical “guy” pics. Metallica, classic rock, a fair amount of rap, lots of prog and experimental stuff. But when I got my first record player a few years back, a friend said “What are the top 10 things you’d really like to own on vinyl?” (Fishing for gift ideas), the conversation took a complete detour when the second or third thing out of my mouth was Fiona Apple. We laughed at the surprise pick, talked about why I liked her so much, and I was crushed to find out that it had never been released to vinyl. So you can obviously imagine my excitement when VMP announced it.

I don’t think I’m the only person with a story like that. A lot of her fans are long term devoted fans. Again, the exclusivity definitely adds to the hype too.

Hiya @Rahawk2 ! Cool question and you got lots of info.

When Fiona was "big" I was not a fan. I was very much not into the Lillith Fair artists (that's almost like a genre, isn't it?) and I, too, lumped her in with them. And then, she faded from my mind and, I thought, most people's minds. When I joined the old forum, oh so many years ago, I was surprised by the enthusiasm surrounding her and getting her albums repressed. So I revisited her. And younger teeeee was mistaken. Fiona is great. I don't think casual music listeners would be familiar with her stuff. I think she has a more of a cult following, although that isn't even the right word because that album sold the eff out quickly when VMP announced. I'm not sure if she has done this intentionally or not, but the mystique surrounding her may be because she is so private.

Point being, check Fiona out.
That's pretty much exactly what I was trying to say, but worded much better lol.
I'm definitely going to check all of her albums out. Sometimes I see people say stuff like Fiona was the last good album I got from VMP, or nothing has interested me since. It's just weird to me since VMP has released so many great albums in my opinion . I find new stuff I love every week. I was just wondering what about that album that sets it so far apart for some people.

Before VMP did the Tidal thing, the only reason I had ever heard of Fiona Apple was because of South Park. I'm pretty sure I've never heard a song by her on the radio or anything. I'm guessing she was only popular in America?

I don't care for Fiona either. I've never even opened the VMP record. I love Betty though!
Don't like Fiona?!?!?

View attachment 13823

Mmm I've been waiting for a good ol' Captain-off.

Honestly other then the 1st mtv video where she was half naked and very young looking I haven’t heard heard her name mentioned in 20 years. Im in Philly and I haven’t heard her musiI’m wondering what I missed .

Wait, so you never saw the video where she's wearing a living octopus on her head!!!!????????

True story: I hated Fiona. HATED HATED HATED. This was back when Tidal was released and the only thing I knew about Fiona Apple was that she stole some MTV awards from Meredith Brooks. And Hanson, I think. I'm not sure about that one. And if that skinny hipster took something from my precious Meredith Brooks, then obviously I hated her (I had never listened anything except Criminal. And I still think Blurring The Edges is a great, fun album).

Then "Across the universe" happened. And the video. Man, I was obsessed with that video. The part where the camera spins 360º? That is so fucking awesome. But it was a cover, and I was hooked by the video, so I still didn't like Fiona Apple.

And then "Fast as you can" happened.
The video is awesome (PTA is awesome, period). The sense of urgency of the melody, that made me feel uncomfortable because she's in a hurry because SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. And the lyrics, that perfect explanation of what it feels like to have a fucked up mind and still want to be in love and loved by somebody, and then when that person appears you realize that he or she will be hurt because you're a fucking mess and you can't help it.
Yes, I could totally relate to that. And if she could describe my feelings with that accuracy, well, maybe I was wrong.
So I bought When The Pawn..., and I knew that I've been wrong before. Fiona had the ability to describe how hard it is to be alive when you feel you're a mess, and you could FEEL what she was FEELING when she was singing each one of the words of the lyrics (in "Get gone" you can see her throwing the mic against the wall after singing "he don't give a shit about me!").
Extraordinary Machine is her happy album, but The Idler Wheel is, again, a masterpiece about trying to be stable and focused on your life, even when it's hard AF and you just want to feel everything.

Betty Davis is ok too ;)

the only thing I knew about Fiona Apple was that she stole some MTV awards from Meredith Brooks
I guess you could say that Meredith Brooks thought Fiona was a...

200.gif

source.gif

Add me to the list of people that dont find Tidal (or Fiona) that spectacular. I did want the VMP record just to listen to the superior sound quality to see if it changed my mind. I agree it sounds great but the album wasn't for me. Luckily it was very easy to sell on...
I think Fiona is great but I prefer both of the albums with extremely long names, so I didn't sign up for Tidal as I wouldn't play it as much. Have you heard those two?

Last edited:
i also wasn't a huge Fiona fan when she came out. I liked a few songs but I really got into it when I got the VMP. I think i got the 3 months for the Demon Days and this came one of the months. I actually really enjoyed it.

But the weird key thing that might or might not have influenced many to keep their Fiona apple pressing is that this is probably one of the best sounding record pressings I've heard from VMP. It's so clean / crisp / and full. I can't even explain why. Not my favorite VMP released album in general but absolutely the best sounding.

LOL at first listen I thought Betty sounded like a cat in heat,

I think that was the point ;)

seriously though, we are roughly the same age and from roughly the same area and I lumped Apple in the same group of pop singers. Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention and should go back around to give her a fair shot.

Yeah it was silly, Betty was just the album I was listening to at the time and I was wondering why it doesn't get more love.
I wouldn't say she's not for me, I only listened to her 1st album. I guess she just slipped through the cracks and I had no idea she was as popular as she is. I don't recall ever hearing her on the radio (Maybe criminal in the 90s) . I just found out she had 4 albums so I'll check out her catalog. There's a lot on VMP that I never heard of and am just now discovering.

Tidal is actually my least favorite Fiona album, but it’s definitely the best VMP pressing I’ve heard.

In my experience Fiona’s shift from “pop artist” to “cult artist” happened during the long lead up to Extraordinary Machine. Up until that point I lumped her with Alanis Morissette (!) as a 90s pop artist. After that I started perceiving Fiona as much more of an auteur.

Last edited:
For me It was shadowboxer. That song just hit me (pun intended) and would stop me in my tracks when it played. You did not want to be in the car when it came on the radio. 20+ years later got into vinyl and joined VMP. And followed advice on the forum. This album just needs to be played. And played in a wine, or bourbon, fueled evening with the lights low and the volume way up. While I love her writing, the album just sounds good to my ears. I think when you use sound quality alone it hits so many of us who listen to vinyl for that reason. I liken this one to Feist bc both streamed for me are meh. But both on vinyl make me stop. Sit. Tune in. And smile.

Oddly enough i choose to but a new TT to make it easier to switch to 45 speed...just to listen to Fiona more often.

Back