Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Special guest might not be the best title, but I've been to shows where the band's other band opened (Rollins Band/Mother Superior — which is the band Hank hired to be the last version of his band) and where someone from the band opened solo (The Coup/Kev Choice) and both were great.
I don’t have a problem with it, beyond “special guest.” It’s a lot like Foo Fighters with special guest Dave Grohl…

Dang! I'm also a huge Prince fan and casual Phil Collins. Can't say I listen to Sussudio often but I certainly play it now and again.

Well, I was this many minutes (checks time stamp on post) past reading your post when I learned this.
I was watching this:

He teased the rip off and was like can you guess. I was like this has to be some minor hit I’ve never heard of then he said 1999 and played a snippet and I did a spit take when I wasn’t drinking anything.

I was watching this:

An he teased the rip off and was like can you guess. I was like this has to be some minor hit I’ve never heard of then he said 1999 and played a snippet and I did a spit take when I wasn’t drinking anything.

Yup, after reading your comment I needed to listen to Sussudio again. 1999 is ingrained in my head.

I did a YT search with those two song titles and was immediately met by a mash up.

Confession.. as a huge Prince fan and a casual Phil Collins fan, it is absolutely embarrassing to me that I was this many days old before I realized that Sussudio rips off 1999.😳

Dang! I'm also a huge Prince fan and casual Phil Collins. Can't say I listen to Sussudio often but I certainly play it now and again.

Well, I was this many minutes (checks time stamp on post) past reading your post when I learned this.

...and I'm guessing you both were THIS many days and minutes old when you learned Ol' Dirty Bastard did his own version of "Sussudio"

...and I'm guessing you both were THIS many days and minutes old when you learned Ol' Dirty Bastard did his own version of "Sussudio"

TBH, it's not actually horrible and ODB has such a loose style you can kinda get behind him trying anything.

HOWEVER, I had to look up this tribute album and...🫣

There is a part of me that wants to hear In the Air Tonight by Lil Kim FEAT Phil Collins. But there is a bigger part of me that knows some doors once opened cannot be closed.

TBH, it's not actually horrible and ODB has such a loose style you can kinda get behind him trying anything.

There is a part of me that wants to hear In the Air Tonight by Lil Kim FEAT Phil Collins. But there is a bigger part of me that knows some doors once opened cannot be closed.
Well thank you for answering the question of what this was from for me.

Well thank you for answering the question of what this was from for me.

I remember Kelis's "I Don't Care Anymore" being pretty awesome. But most of it I don't recall liking. Been 25 years though...

I absolutely fell in love with the boygenius debut last year and I never really gave any of their solo works a proper chance before so I was excited to jump in. My hot take is that as solo artists I find all three of them to be total bores. I hope to regret this take one day soon but my god I just can’t get into any of them. As boygenius I really feel like they bring out the best in each other and elevate each other. Solo I just find them all pretty forgettable and boring

I absolutely fell in love with the boygenius debut last year and I never really gave any of their solo works a proper chance before so I was excited to jump in. My hot take is that as solo artists I find all three of them to be total bores. I hope to regret this take one day soon but my god I just can’t get into any of them. As boygenius I really feel like they bring out the best in each other and elevate each other. Solo I just find them all pretty forgettable and boring
I like Bridgers and am meh about BoyGenius and the other two.

Before Boygenius or Punisher or Historian or Sprained Ankle, I stumbled across this. I still play it back to back to back sometimes.
Here’s the hot take : it’s the best thing any of the Boys-Genius have done to date.
Side Hot Take Ranking: JB > LD > PB.

I like Bridgers and am meh about BoyGenius and the other two.

What about her do you like that isn’t there for the others/boygenius? I was excited to give her and especially Punisher a shot but outside of Kyoto I felt nothing for the rest of the album

What about her do you like that isn’t there for the others/boygenius? I was excited to give her and especially Punisher a shot but outside of Kyoto I felt nothing for the rest of the album
I don’t know? BoyGenius is slightly better but the rest just plays as kind of slow middling indie rock. Between a certain bit of a shoegazy wall of sound behind Bridgets and her lyrics just speaking to me, not sure I could tell you. The others I find kind of boring, she speaks to me. 🤷‍♀️

Back