Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I absolutely fell in love with the boygenius debut last year and I never really gave any of their solo works a proper chance before so I was excited to jump in. My hot take is that as solo artists I find all three of them to be total bores. I hope to regret this take one day soon but my god I just can’t get into any of them. As boygenius I really feel like they bring out the best in each other and elevate each other. Solo I just find them all pretty forgettable and boring
They all have their moments. I feel like if you made a playlist of their best tracks it would be quite excellent. I’ve never been blown away by any of their solo records, but they all contain at least one or two superb tracks.

Skinny Puppy is great. Snarky Puppy is nap inducing.
I read the meme and could not for the life of me imagine which one of these guys was writing about a dope habit.
465293691.jpg

Here's one: beyond Bowie, any time a musician has developed a "character" for an album cycle, you're in for a bad time.
Disagree. I feel like most musicians do this on the regular. The whole “rock star” thing is performative. Some iterations are better than others. Chasing “authenticity” is a fool’s errand.

Disagree. I feel like most musicians do this on the regular. The whole “rock star” thing is performative. Some iterations are better than others. Chasing “authenticity” is a fool’s errand.
Maybe I'm letting specific examples stick in my craw (Bono and St. Vincent, for two), but I think the whole "I'm putting on a costume and adding a layer of abstraction onto my extant, inherent persona" schtick is in conversation with "authenticity;" instead of chasing it, you're running in the exact opposite direction.

Every album cycle comes with its own aesthetic; colors, costumes, backdrops. The trouble comes when you're putting on a gas mask and bunny ears and calling yourself Trait.

Maybe I'm letting specific examples stick in my craw (Bono and St. Vincent, for two), but I think the whole "I'm putting on a costume and adding a layer of abstraction onto my extant, inherent persona" schtick is in conversation with "authenticity;" instead of chasing it, you're running in the exact opposite direction.

Every album cycle comes with its own aesthetic; colors, costumes, backdrops. The trouble comes when you're putting on a gas mask and bunny ears and calling yourself Trait.
I kind of agree with this depending on the artist. If St. Vincent was what spurred this thought, then I agree with that regarding her.

Madonna, Prince, The Beatles, Dylan, they all would lean into different characters throughout their careers. It’s the perforative nature of the biz.
You got me with Prince switching to a symbol (though that was a much-malgined move) and the Beatles becoming Sgt. Peppers' LHCB, but wouldn't Madonna and Dylan fall more under the category of a constantly shifting image?
Where would someone like DOOM fall into this conversation?
The artist is the character in that case. See also: The Ramones, Chris Gaines.

Chris Gaines
That's the one that I think is the gold standard for when the artifice doesn't work.

Depends on the artist. The performative aspect of a character as it relates to an album cycle is, I think, more of a commercial decision than anything. It signals that the artist is doing something, that an experiment is happening, that they deserve your attention. It rationalizes developing new merch and provides a central thesis around which you can develop promotional materials, album art, interviews, live show visuals etc.

There are musicians whose whole thing is that they are authentically themselves. Nick Cave is the example at the top of mind because one of his most recent Red Hand Files was explicitly about chasing authenticity. Cave isn't a "rock star" in the sense that he's headlining arenas, but I think you'd be hard pressed to think of many artists who have been around as long, lived as hard, been as prolific & acclaimed, etc. Putting on a character might -- MIGHT -- make him more 'relevant,' but what he's done instead has preserved his integrity & reputation as a capital-A Artist.

But as you guys have touched on, there's multiple flavors of this. There's the album-based character cycle, where it's like an interchangeable outfit that you can put on and take off. There's the artist that is inseparable from a very specific character (DOOM is a great example, but also KISS, GWAR, Weird Al, etc.). There's the artist whose private persona and stage persona are publicly acknowledged to be very different (see "Sasha Fierce"). And then there are artists who demonstrate an honest and sincere evolution of their artistry over time. For this final category I'm thinking more of the Nick Cave types, but it's not exactly uncommon. Ideally you want all artists to evolve over time and add layers and dimension to their work, to be in conversation with their lives and the world around them. But you also want it to be more substantial in nature than the cliche of a band whose second album budget is a blank check to write the biggest possible anthems so that their sound fills bigger and bigger venues.

To summarize, I agree that "X album's character is Y" is a crass, mostly commercial, choice, and it's different from maintaining an artistic/stage persona that is not the same as who the artist is privately. You want artists to demonstrate growth, but in a world where everyone is vying for attention, and nuance is hard to come by, it's easy to understand why the album cycle shtick is a popular formula.

Last edited:
You got me with Prince switching to a symbol (though that was a much-malgined move) and the Beatles becoming Sgt. Peppers' LHCB, but wouldn't Madonna and Dylan fall more under the category of a constantly shifting image?
It all depends on how literal you take it I suppose; Dylan playing a train hopping hobo was certainly a different character than his Nashville Troubadour or his rolling thunder revue circus shaman or the born again Christian.

Madonna reinvented what “Madonna” was with each subsequent album. 80s party girl Madonna, the Vogue/Club Culture Madonna, the S&M/Sex era Madonna, Kabbala Madonna, etc…

That's the one that I think is the gold standard for when the artifice doesn't work.

Depends on the artist. The performative aspect of a character as it relates to an album cycle is, I think, more of a commercial decision than anything. It signals that the artist is doing something, that an experiment is happening, that they deserve your attention. It rationalizes developing new merch and provides a central thesis around which you can develop promotional materials, album art, interviews, live show visuals etc.

There are musicians whose whole thing is that they are authentically themselves. Nick Cave is the example at the top of mind because one of his most recent Red Hand Files was explicitly about chasing authenticity. Cave isn't a "rock star" in the sense that he's headlining arenas, but I think you'd be hard pressed to think of many artists who have been around as long, lived as hard, been as prolific & acclaimed, etc. Putting on a character might -- MIGHT -- make him more 'relevant,' but what he's done instead has preserved his integrity & reputation as a capital-A Artist.

But as you guys have touched on, there's multiple flavors of this. There's the album-based character cycle, where it's like an interchangeable outfit that you can put on and take off. There's the artist that is inseparable from a very specific character (DOOM is a great example, but also KISS, GWAR, Weird Al, etc.). There's the artist whose private persona and stage persona are publicly acknowledged to be very different (see "Sasha Fierce"). And then there are artists who demonstrate an honest and sincere evolution of their artistry over time. For this final category I'm thinking more of the Nick Cave types, but it's not exactly uncommon. Ideally you want all artists to evolve over time and add layers and dimension to their work, to be in conversation with their lives and the world around them. But you also want to be more substantial in nature than the cliche of a band whose second album budget is a blank check to write the biggest possible anthems so that their sound fills bigger and bigger venues.

To summarize, I agree that "X album's character is Y" is a crass, mostly commercial, choice, and it's different from maintaining an artistic/stage persona that is not the same as who the artist is privately. You want artists to demonstrate growth, but in a world where everyone is vying for attention and nuance is hard to come by, it's easy to understand why the album cycle shtick is a popular formula.
So Nick Cave is a murderer? I’m just saying there is a lot of artiface there too.

Back