Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

And has such incredibly shitty musical taste.
He really doesn’t though.

I get that.

My method is I make artist playlists, put all their albums/eps/singles and hit shuffle. I discover new faves out of context sometimes.

I do believe a great piece of music criticism can make you reconsider without a list.

Yep and the best album reviews don’t need numbers or stars. The text lets you know how worthy of your attention it is, or isn’t.

He is slightly older than me and from the Midwest. I find him very relatable and an excellent writer. I also enjoy many of the same artists he has recommended over the years. I’ve read three of his books and am looking forward to his new book on Bruce Springsteen. I don’t understand how or why people find him upsetting nothing he says or does is insulting or condescending or otherwise controversial he is a white dude in his early 40s who enjoys guitar based rock music.

Do you feel the same about Chuck Klosterman and/or Andy Greenwald?

Klosterman literally wrote the book on the subject.
View attachment 197239

I read Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs and Fargo Rock City.
I have not read this book.
Rather than a "music critic" I lump Klosterman into the category of essayist.

I am unfamiliar with Mr. Greenwald's musical critique, taste or writing.

He really doesn’t though.

He has Impossible Germany at #6. Anything higher than 1000 is too high.

No Evil Urges in the top 25 - and not 1 but 2 Waterfalls cuts ahead of that?

I rest my case your honor.

Its not how he writes - its that he chooses to "market" the things that should have been left to the garbage bin of history.
I have no respect for his slathering of songs like "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" or "Only Wanna Be With You" in 90s nostalgia.

They were obvious label money grabs forced down our throats in the 90s.
When he wraps himself in his "child of the 90" BS and tries to reconstitute the old garbage into a witty or thought provoking "think piece" he either: a) proves himself complicit with the machine: or b) proves himself be too stupid to understand the irony of what he is doing.

Either way - it makes me want to punch someone to think that we came all this way to get another corporate hack packaged as "pop culture" shilling the same shit all this time later.

Also - I feel the same way - only angrier and more likely to make the "someone" being punched an innocent animal when it comes to Rob Harvilla.

Also - I feel the same way - only angrier and more likely to make the "someone" being punched an innocent animal when it comes to Rob Harvilla.
Had to look him up. Ah, the 60 Songs That Explain The 90s guy. I don’t have any issues with him either. I have listened to a few episodes and it was entertaining enough.

I am starting to think that if we met IRL you’d wanna punch me too. Which is fine as you wouldn’t be the first, I tend to come off as extremely punchable to many.

Had to look him up. Ah, the 60 Songs That Explain The 90s guy. I don’t have any issues with him either. I have listened to a few episodes and it was entertaining enough.

I am starting to think that if we met IRL you’d wanna punch me too. Which is fine as you wouldn’t be the first, I tend to come off as extremely punchable to many.

First - no.
Second - that is EVERYONE's first reaction to me - which is why I have no doubt we'd be fast friends....until it came time to choose which MMJ album to spin. :cool:

Yep and the best album reviews don’t need numbers or stars. The text lets you know how worthy of your attention it is, or isn’t.
Some critics can be incredibly good writers and I still come away thinking, "But did they like it?" To me, stars provide a framework to understand where the critic's head is at overall. Stars are the starting point, not a replacement for the writing itself.

Some critics can be incredibly good writers and I still come away thinking, "But did they like it?" To me, stars provide a framework to understand where the critic's head is at overall. Stars are the starting point, not a replacement for the writing itself.

I suppose the stars to me are in the abstract. The writing provides the framework and rationale as to whether I think like it or not. It’s also worth finding good reviewers whose writing styles speak to you because there are so many shit ones.

Not a single listicle to be found in any of these…
View attachment 197240

Also, I feel like in the day and age we live he uses the list format more as an attention grabbing device than anything usually every entry on his list contain several paragraphs of explanation. It’s not like Buzzfeed AI generated content where the list is the all that is being offered up. Steve usually writes a ton for each entry.
I'm aware that he's written books. I read the Radiohead one and thought it was fine. I just find the "All of ____'s songs, ranked" to be very cynical and shallow. I don't particularly enjoy his writing or find him very insightful, even though our taste does overlap quite a bit. Uproxxx is perhaps also the least user-friendly, advertisement-heavy website I've ever seen, which doesn't help.

This is the thing that I feel is lost with social media today. I see a lot of posts where people hate of writers or publication for committing the crime of not liking something that someone else enjoys. I was on the Sonic Youth subreddit and there was a page of people dancing on the grave of Pitchfork because they dared to give one of SY’s lesser albums a 6.8 (and TBH, they gave another arguably one of their worst albums a 0.0). It’s wild, pitchfork LOVES Sonic Youth and has done more to promote the band then probably any other major publication over the past 20 years but because they did give all their albums 10s they are clearly trash and should burn in hell.

This is the thing that I feel is lost with social media today. I see a lot of posts where people hate of writers or publication for committing the crime of not liking something that someone else enjoys. I was on the Sonic Youth subreddit and there was a page of people dancing on the grave of Pitchfork because they dared to give one of SY’s lesser albums a 6.8 (and TBH, they gave another arguably one of their worst albums a 0.0). It’s wild, pitchfork LOVES Sonic Youth and has done more to promote the band then probably any other major publication over the past 20 years but because they did give all their albums 10s they are clearly trash and should burn in hell.
Even sillier since Pitchfork's score was notoriously derived separately from the content of the review itself.

Uproxxx is perhaps also the least user-friendly, advertisement-heavy website I've ever seen, which doesn't help.
Their site is sucks! I have to click on this…
IMG_2705.jpeg
…So I can scroll through the whole post without it crashing.
I just find the "All of ____'s songs, ranked" to be very cynical and shallow.
I get it but his “rankings” typically are used as a framing device. On many occasions he has provided the caveat that his rankings are meaningless. It’s just an excuse for him to write 50,000 words about a band that he loves.

I get that Beyoncé is a larger than life music personality but I can think of multiple female artists (regardless of genre) who are far more talented and make better music. I mean she doesn't even write her own material half the time. I understand that music is subjective but I simply don't comprehend the adoration and why she's hailed by critics and fans alike. Sorry I don't get the hype 🤷

I get that Beyoncé is a larger than life music personality but I can think of multiple female artists (regardless of genre) who are far more talented and make better music. I mean she doesn't even write her own material half the time. I understand that music is subjective but I simply don't comprehend the adoration and why she's hailed by critics and fans alike. Sorry I don't get the hype 🤷
Me neither...

Me neither...
Completely agree. I can't name a Beyonce song.. well, there's one that's called something like single ladies? And, another that's put a ring on it? Something like that - maybe they're the same song? I honestly don't know and don't care.

Me neither...
She’s no Post Malone (KIDDING!)

Seriously though, We are music fanatics. So sometimes it’s hard to understand what the mainstream is obsessed with and why. My best approximation is to think of her Music like the Model-T Ford. She takes the best things that others originated and perfected and packages them in a way everyone can easily consume. Is as much about what here music signifies as it is about the music itself..

Taylor Swift for better or worse is in the same boat.

She’s no Post Malone (KIDDING!)

Seriously though, We are music fanatics. So sometimes it’s hard to understand what the mainstream is obsessed with and why. My best approximation is to think of her Music like the Model-T Ford. She takes the best things that others originated and perfected and packages them in a way everyone can easily consume. Is as much about what here music signifies as it is about the music itself..

Taylor Swift for better or worse is in the same boat.
This seems like an oversimplification. I think there is certainly pop music that, for lack of a better term, is soft pap (I'm vaguely paraphrasing Louisa May Alcott here).

I do not think Beyonce (or Taylor Swift for that matter) fit there. I think they both tap into emotions that a swath of demographics (culture, age, etc) can appreciate. Saying that we (and I include myself) as music fanatics have some sort of keener insight into the depths of music is kind of insulting (it reminds of when podcast comics call everyone else "civilians"; like our brains are wired differently).

Perhaps you did not mean it this way - or you did, and it is certainly your prerogative - but the bolded part of your quotation makes it seem like you think she is watering down and regurgitating others work. I will not argue that - especially Act I - does not rely on past architecture but I think it works as a homage and rebirth (heck re-nascence, right) but not derivation. Just my opinion.

I wonder how much of a dive you have done into her work. And you may have and arrived at the same conclusion. Fair. But I also respectfully disagree. I'm not saying you or anyone else has to like her (there's plenty I do not listen to myself), but I think a simpler answer is it's not my style or tastes.

I also find it odd to say "I don't get the hype" (not quoting you here, but others above) about an artist who put out their first album in 1998 (first Destiny's Child album). Just as much as it would be odd for me to say I don't get the hype for, say, Pearl Jam who put out their first album seven years prior to DC. An artist with that much longevity is no longer coasting on hype - albeit I gladly accept a particular release can be argued to be hype (e.g. the branding of Act II as country surely adds hype).

But to use my first example of Pearl Jam, I'd rather listen to an artist (Beyonce) this far into her career putting out fresh albums with more artistic runway in front of her than the umpteenth boring album put out by PJ (not my tastes) in the last two decades (or, place in a multitude of other bands that are not packing the artistic punch they did years prior....looking at you RHCP).

Also, while I say this and I do enjoy her music, I am not wrapped up in fandom for her (or anyone, for that matter). In fact, right after listening to Act II again this morning I followed it with a nice chaser of doom metal a la Dream Unending (one of my albums of '22); so I'm certainly not dying on a pop music hill.

Just some of the comments here come off as....(mildly) dismissive or (more aggressively) elitist. Then again, this is the hot takes thread so I think we're all hitting it on the nose.

{small edits for clarification}

Back