Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

mwandishni, headhunters, a bit of maiden voyage
If your hit take point was you aren't interested in checking out more jazz, just skip the rest and ignore 😜

Give Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady a shot, it is so fucking cool and different.

For Herbie, also check out Empyrean Isles and Sextant. Empyrean Isles is a little more avant garde hard bop that for whatever reason I like more than Maiden Voyage. Sextant is hard to explain but jazz fusion with synths, but not synth-funk. Super cool, I feel like you might like it.

IF you're interested in branching out from what you do like, a way that has been recommend a lot is checking out the other artists that catch your ear on the albums/songs you like and listening to whatever albums they were doing around that time.

Otherwise, if you want more jazz fusion I might check out Freddie Hubbard -Straight Life or Larry Young - Lawrence of Newark

Edit:Oops, hit post early. I was also going to suggest Grachan Moncur III - Evolution (also really cool and different for the era), Andrew Hill - Point of Departure, and Lee Morgan - Sidewinder for stuff near the era of Maiden Voyage.

The only jazz I really like is Herbie Hancock

Couldn't get into Coltrane
Or miles (besides in a silent way)
Haven't heard much Mingus

But Herbie was a cool one

1aca248bb65635addac180d3ca1d71cd.gif

Just going off of Iridescence and the snippets from their next album, Brockhampton fell off after they kicked Ameer / after Ameer left.
It feels like the majority of the soul that was there in the SATURATION projects is gone now.

I like Iridescence about as much as the trilogy, but I do pick up on what you're saying. I don't think it's just because Ameer's voice is gone, that happened during such a crazy time for them and I think it was all of it that's had this effect.

Did you read this interview Kevin recently did?

Signing to RCA was a massive decision and at this stage it seems like maybe they weren't ready and it was all too much change. Like I said Iridescence is fine, but it's not like getting to make it at Abbey Road really made it a better album; it wasn't really just this group of guys who met on KTT making cool music in the house they all lived in anymore.

Back