Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Because of the reissue over in the preorder thread… back when they came out, I thought Sarah MacLachlan’s Fumbling…. And Surfacing were brilliant and emotionally powerful. I listened to them a few years ago and thought they were trite and boring.
You don't stan S. MacLachlan?!!!

Go say that in the Cute Animal Thread. I triple (abused) dog dare ya!

Because of the reissue over in the preorder thread… back when they came out, I thought Sarah MacLachlan’s Fumbling…. And Surfacing were brilliant and emotionally powerful. I listened to them a few years ago and thought they were trite and boring.
Are you saying you now find Sarah Maclachlan to be brilliant and powerful where you previously found her to be trite and boring? This is worded oddly.

I am just trying to clarify if the hot take is that Sarah M is good or that Sarah M is bad.

I like the song “Building The Mystery”.

I think her albums were good though “Surfacing”. “Fumbling” is my favorite and I think it still holds up. I wish Lilith Fair still existed.

This probably isn't too hot a take but it really pisses me off and I need to complain because I just encountered it multiple times across a few different discogs entries.

People who feel compelled to shit on a pressing that they've never heard and know nothing about because they just know it has to sound bad. Thankfully only a few people on here do this, but I wish that people didn't think that they needed to share their no information having opinion. If you don't have actual knowledge on a subject when someone asks a question, you can just not say anything. Pseudo-thinking should make people feel more cringe and embarrassment. It's even more annoying when multiple people who have heard or own the pressing already commented on it's quality and then some insufferable thinks-they-know-it-all comes along and still talks from their ass about it.

It's the same thing a bunch of bigots and dumb asses do with politics. It's a major failure of education that we haven't taught people to realize how little they actually know and the effort it takes to actually learn.

This probably isn't too hot a take but it really pisses me off and I need to complain because I just encountered it multiple times across a few different discogs entries.

People who feel compelled to shit on a pressing that they've never heard and know nothing about because they just know it has to sound bad. Thankfully only a few people on here do this, but I wish that people didn't think that they needed to share their no information having opinion. If you don't have actual knowledge on a subject when someone asks a question, you can just not say anything. Pseudo-thinking should make people feel more cringe and embarrassment. It's even more annoying when multiple people who have heard or own the pressing already commented on it's quality and then some insufferable thinks-they-know-it-all comes along and still talks from their ass about it.

It's the same thing a bunch of bigots and dumb asses do with politics. It's a major failure of education that we haven't taught people to realize how little they actually know and the effort it takes to actually learn.
This unironically

IMG_1325.jpeg

And this goes for all relationships, professional and personal. Any person that can’t admits they don’t know something or that they were wrong about something is a person you want to minimize your interactions with as much as possible.

I have a hot take on the word "overrated". It really rankles me when I see.

To me, saying "X is overrated" means "I think X is bad and everyone else that thinks differently is wrong."

No. I rate things just fine for myself, thank you very much. I don't overrate or underrate. I know what I like and if you pretend to know better, no. Just no. I can't say it any better than The Dude - what you dislike, "it's just, like, your opinion man."

There's nothing wrong with just saying that you don't like X - just don't bash everyone else's tastes along the way. @Lee Newman did it really well above. This is how it's done:

I’ve spent some time the last couple of days with some AOR staples….

REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity is okay.

Toto - IV sucks

Boston - Boston is a fucking masterpiece

See, he gave his opinion and made no allusions that anyone else's opinion is wrong. Personal point made and nobody feels targeted.

That said, I personally try to even limit that because gratuitous mentions of hate just feel like trolling sometimes. But opinions on taste will inevitably come up, and when they do organically as part of a discussion, they're even often interesting. But I believe there's a way to do this without having to offend others, and this is what gets me with the term "overrated" - it inevitably offends.

To me, saying "X is overrated" means "I think X is bad and everyone else that thinks differently is wrong."

No. I rate things just fine for myself, thank you very much. I don't overrate or underrate. I know what I like and if you pretend to know better, no. Just no. I can't say it any better than The Dude - what you dislike, "it's just, like, your opinion man."

There's nothing wrong with just saying that you don't like X - just don't bash everyone else's tastes along the way. @Lee Newman did it really well above. This is how it's done:

See, he gave his opinion and made no allusions that anyone else's opinion is wrong. Personal point made and nobody feels targeted.

That said, I personally try to even limit that because gratuitous mentions of hate just feel like trolling sometimes. But opinions on taste will inevitably come up, and when they do organically as part of a discussion, they're even often interesting. But I believe there's a way to do this without having to offend others, and this is what gets me with the term "overrated" - it inevitably offends.
Cosign

Yeah, I try not to say sucks too much. Comes from when I sold and reviewed comics… I don’t think anyone creates art with the intent of it being bad and it is tied to the creator and its fans emotionally. Just because I don’t see value in it doesn’t mean there isn’t value to someone.

Here, I don’t feel that need for various reasons… it’s not a large platform and I’m not actively trying to persuade someone to agree with me, just giving a subjective opinion.

I will try to keep this in mind about overrate. However, I tend not to use overrate to mean it is bad. I wouldn’t use the term for that. To me overrate is a way to say I don’t hold the same esteem as what seems to be the general consensus.

I’ll provide an example. I find The National overrated. That’s not to say I don’t like them. I do, I think Boxer and High Violet are two of the finest albums of this century. I find Berninger fascinating and I think the Dessners are very talented.

However, the media and this forum have them on a pedestal and every album is received with the same kind of fervor that I can understand for Radiohead but not for this band. If I use the term, it’s as a way of saying these guys are good but not all that and two bags of chips. I can agree that it is often used as a way to discount the masses and as a short hand for sucks, but I find that an odd way to use it.

Yeah, I try not to say sucks too much. Comes from when I sold and reviewed comics… I don’t think anyone creates art with the intent of it being bad and it is tied to the creator and its fans emotionally. Just because I don’t see value in it doesn’t mean there isn’t value to someone.

Here, I don’t feel that need for various reasons… it’s not a large platform and I’m not actively trying to persuade someone to agree with me, just giving a subjective opinion.

I will try to keep this in mind about overrate. However, I tend not to use overrate to mean it is bad. I wouldn’t use the term for that. To me overrate is a way to say I don’t hold the same esteem as what seems to be the general consensus.

I’ll provide an example. I find The National overrated. That’s not to say I don’t like them. I do, I think Boxer and High Violet are two of the finest albums of this century. I find Berninger fascinating and I think the Dessners are very talented.

However, the media and this forum have them on a pedestal and every album is received with the same kind of fervor that I can understand for Radiohead but not for this band. If I use the term, it’s as a way of saying these guys are good but not all that and two bags of chips. I can agree that it is often used as a way to discount the masses and as a short hand for sucks, but I find that an odd way to use it.

I know what you mean. That said, the general consensus is hard to pinpoint sometimes. It might just well be a loud minority of fans, and by bringing up a hatred, it can end up turning into a gang-up on a few die-hards. Though I guess by that argument, Taylor Swift is fair game, LOL.

Since you bring up The National, based on what you say, I dislike them more than you, since I don't even like those two records. There are probably a bunch of us on here but we don't say it - personally I wouldn't insert myself into a conversation about them because I don't want to feel like I'm cheapening other people's passions, if you know what I mean. But if I'm asked, I won't be shy saying so. Anyway, I don't know if they're really overrated, even if I like them way less than probably everyone. I mean, maybe it's me that's underrating?

There is a place where the terms work I think, and that's on sites like AOTY where they compile critic and fan ratings separately - there you can make actual mathematical comparisons of underrating and overrating for either side. But even that's limited because critics often tend to be sheepish in their ratings, and on that site in particular, certain groups like metal-heads seem to highly rate their preferred genre and bash others systematically. But you can find interesting things on those overrated/underrated lists if you scan them with caveats like that in mind.

Yeah, I agree to an extent. I think Overrate/Underrated can be used properly in discourse related to art but it often is used in the way you are stating.

Similarly to how many use “overrated” to project a personal opinions, when someone says a something is “underrated” in many occasions it means that the person expressing this opinion just personally discovered a certain artist, album, movie, author, etc… and because they just discovered something clearly they were underrated whereas In reality it was appropriately popular within it’s time.

All that being said. I feel like I can personally talk about art from an analytical standpoint. For me when evaluating art outside of one’s own personal feelings can be accomplished by looking at how a band was/is thought of from a critical standpoint or from a general public/sales standpoint. Also, I enjoy the discourse and am not personally offended if someone loves or hates something that I love or hate or am indifferent about. I know the love of art can be a very personal thing and sometimes people will see art as an expression of who they are as a person and because of that it can be tough to not take criticism of art personally but It’s really nothing personal and I hope most people eventually come to that conclusion as it’s easier to have honest conversation about art if you aren’t worried about hurting people’s feelings. That doesn’t mean that people should not be considerate of others when discussing or debating the merits of art it just means that it’s a two way street people can disagree without being disagreeable.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree to an extent. I think Overrate/Underrated can be used properly in discourse related to art but it often is used in the way you are stating.

Similarly to how many use “overrated” to project a personal opinions, when someone says a something is “underrated” in many occasions it means that the person expressing this opinion just personally discovered a certain artist, album, movie, author, etc… and because they just discovered something clearly they were underrated whereas In reality it was appropriately popular within it’s time.

All that being said. I feel like I can personally talk about art from an analytical standpoint. For me when evaluating art outside of one’s own personal feelings can be accomplished by looking at how a band was/is thought of from a critical standpoint or from a general public/sales standpoint. Also, I enjoy the discourse and am not personally offended if someone loves or hates something that I love or hate or am indifferent about. I know the love of art can be a very personal thing and sometimes people will see art as an expression of who they are as a person and because of that it can be tough to not take criticism of art personally but It’s really nothing personal and I hope most people eventually come to that conclusion as it’s easier to have honest conversation about art and honest if you aren’t worried about hurting people’s feelings. That doesn’t mean that people should not be considerate of others when discussing or debating the merits of art it just means that it’s a two way street people can disagree without being disagreeable.

Totally - I think we're of the exact same mind here.

Back