Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Every time I get a nice view some bloody lighthouse decides to stand directly in front of me…

Tall people’s ignorance of how they affect shorter people from gigs to public transport is just so damn infuriating.
Just PSA for tall people.

It is absolutely not acceptable and bang out of order to lean over me to hold a pole above my head on public transport. Above my head is sill personal space and no one deserves to spend 30 minutes with their head in someone else’s armpit!

It absolutely goes both ways. I don't know the exact experiences that you're talking about, but as a taller person, I can attest that shorter people can at times be frustratingly oblivious and selfish in similar settings for very different reasons. My comments thus are not directed at @Joe Mac but at people I've encountered in my own experience as a taller person who rides public transportation and goes to concerts.

I'm only 6'2" (188 cm) but I marvel at shorter people on public transportation who have no need to hold onto anything to keep from falling but will stand right under the only grab bar within my reach. The grab handles and bars hanging from the ceiling are safety mechanisms meant to be grabbed and held. The fact that not everyone can reach them does not mean that they are purely decorative. Taller people have a higher center of gravity and thus are more likely to lose their balance if they are standing while the vehicle is in motion. Taller people are also more likely to cause injury to others when they fall because they weigh more. People grab onto the grab handles and bars for their safety and the safety of those around them, and, depending on the vehicle, there may not be grab handles or handrails conveniently located for every standing passenger to use. If the person grabbing the bar above your head has other options for where to hold on, that's on them and they're invading your space unnecessarily, but if you have no need to grab the bar that you're standing under, and that's the only place for someone else to hold on, then their only options are to grab the bar above your head or risk falling on top of you. It may be worth asking them if they'd like to trade places, because they'd probably prefer not to have to reach over you if you have no need to hold on to the ceiling bar.

As for concerts, as much as I try not to block anyone's view, it's not realistic or fair to expect taller people to only stand at the very back of every venue as punishment for their genetics, so that shorter people can have freedom to stand wherever they please and be guaranteed to have a clear of the stage at all times. PSA to shorter people: if you are continually backing up to put more distance between you and the person in front of you to enhance your sightline of the stage, at some point, people will see the 6 feet of empty space in front of you and will come and stand there because they see that empty space not as your personal domain, but as empty space. They will think that that empty space belongs just as much to them as it does to you, and they're right. Anyone who does so isn't maliciously trying to ruin your night - they are just look for a place to stand to watch the show. If your enjoyment of the show is dependent upon an unimpeded sightline, move up closer to the stage or stand at the rail of a balcony or move to spot where you can see - do NOT expect strangers to bend over backwards to create a special experience for you - they have just as much of a right to their own special experience. If you're going to stand near the back of a crowded venue and leave tons of empty space in front of you because you don't like crowds - you're creating your own problem by not giving other people much of a choice of where to stand other than in front of you. It's also worth remembering that tall people, too, often have their sightlines ruined by shorter people holding up their cameras, or people who decide to fully extend their arms straight up in the air and just hold them there - unlike those people, tall people have no control over their height.

I try to stand behind other tall people, I slouch and try to make myself shorter, and I try not to raise my arms for any reason and I try to stay in the same spot without moving much, so people standing behind me can pick a spot where they can see past me and just stay there for the rest of the show....but the number of people who, in spite of all of these efforts, still have yelled at me and shoved me and threatened me with physical violence like they own that part of the floor while also refusing to just stand in front of me just make me want to stand up straight in front of them and raise my hands in the air like I really just don't care about blocking their view - because I really do not have any responsibility to cater to them and their desires just because I decided to attend a show. If there's nowhere else where they can move to see the stage, then their expectations of being able to view the show are objectively unrealistic and blaming me won't change the fact that I'm no more at fault than every other person in the venue who would be blocking their view simply by existing and attending the show. The idea that you can rudely dictate to strangers where they're allowed to stand in a general admission venue for a show is just delusional.

It absolutely goes both ways. I don't know the exact experiences that you're talking about, but as a taller person, I can attest that shorter people can at times be frustratingly oblivious and selfish in similar settings for very different reasons. My comments thus are not directed at @Joe Mac but at people I've encountered in my own experience as a taller person who rides public transportation and goes to concerts.

I'm only 6'2" (188 cm) but I marvel at shorter people on public transportation who have no need to hold onto anything to keep from falling but will stand right under the only grab bar within my reach. The grab handles and bars hanging from the ceiling are safety mechanisms meant to be grabbed and held. The fact that not everyone can reach them does not mean that they are purely decorative. Taller people have a higher center of gravity and thus are more likely to lose their balance if they are standing while the vehicle is in motion. Taller people are also more likely to cause injury to others when they fall because they weigh more. People grab onto the grab handles and bars for their safety and the safety of those around them, and, depending on the vehicle, there may not be grab handles or handrails conveniently located for every standing passenger to use. If the person grabbing the bar above your head has other options for where to hold on, that's on them and they're invading your space unnecessarily, but if you have no need to grab the bar that you're standing under, and that's the only place for someone else to hold on, then their only options are to grab the bar above your head or risk falling on top of you. It may be worth asking them if they'd like to trade places, because they'd probably prefer not to have to reach over you if you have no need to hold on to the ceiling bar.

As for concerts, as much as I try not to block anyone's view, it's not realistic or fair to expect taller people to only stand at the very back of every venue as punishment for their genetics, so that shorter people can have freedom to stand wherever they please and be guaranteed to have a clear of the stage at all times. PSA to shorter people: if you are continually backing up to put more distance between you and the person in front of you to enhance your sightline of the stage, at some point, people will see the 6 feet of empty space in front of you and will come and stand there because they see that empty space not as your personal domain, but as empty space. They will think that that empty space belongs just as much to them as it does to you, and they're right. Anyone who does so isn't maliciously trying to ruin your night - they are just look for a place to stand to watch the show. If your enjoyment of the show is dependent upon an unimpeded sightline, move up closer to the stage or stand at the rail of a balcony or move to spot where you can see - do NOT expect strangers to bend over backwards to create a special experience for you - they have just as much of a right to their own special experience. If you're going to stand near the back of a crowded venue and leave tons of empty space in front of you because you don't like crowds - you're creating your own problem by not giving other people much of a choice of where to stand other than in front of you. It's also worth remembering that tall people, too, often have their sightlines ruined by shorter people holding up their cameras, or people who decide to fully extend their arms straight up in the air and just hold them there - unlike those people, tall people have no control over their height.

I try to stand behind other tall people, I slouch and try to make myself shorter, and I try not to raise my arms for any reason and I try to stay in the same spot without moving much, so people standing behind me can pick a spot where they can see past me and just stay there for the rest of the show....but the number of people who, in spite of all of these efforts, still have yelled at me and shoved me and threatened me with physical violence like they own that part of the floor while also refusing to just stand in front of me just make me want to stand up straight in front of them and raise my hands in the air like I really just don't care about blocking their view - because I really do not have any responsibility to cater to them and their desires just because I decided to attend a show. If there's nowhere else where they can move to see the stage, then their expectations of being able to view the show are objectively unrealistic and blaming me won't change the fact that I'm no more at fault than every other person in the venue who would be blocking their view simply by existing and attending the show. The idea that you can rudely dictate to strangers where they're allowed to stand in a general admission venue for a show is just delusional.

Yeah that’s certainly inconvenient but the fact of the matter is that more often than not I’ve had tall people just act as if I don’t exist. The bit about the the concerts was mostly in jest, apart from the one prick who decided to stand half an inch in front of my face. But on public transport it’s shocking. Funnily enough on an inner city bus/tram/train I can probably better balance than you for sure but actually not well enough to not fall over, I have to go by the side to hold onto a bar. The least offensive and most regular thing is reaching over my head and having an armpit in my face. I’ve more than once had someone use my head as an armrest and on one particularly creepy incident when I was in a corner had a guy stand front facing less than an inch away with an arm on the either side of me. I extracted myself from that pretty quickly but not fun.

I see that Interpol and Death Cab are touring together playing the records you all get excited about. This sounds like an incredibly bad evening to me.

I don’t mind that first interpol album but beyond that they’re just a bit boring and that whole thing of trying to ape Ian Curtis a load of singers were doing was all a bit weird back then.

I see that Interpol and Death Cab are touring together playing the records you all get excited about. This sounds like an incredibly bad evening to me.
I don’t Ike thing.jpg

EDIT: I don’t see Interpol saying they’re playing shows with Death Cab. I think you’re confusing them with The Postal Service which is basically the same band. I saw one of the combined gigs over the summer because I’m a fan of both of those bands/albums and it was a blast. If you don’t like them, then you wouldn’t like that show that much 🤷‍♂️

I don’t Ike thing.jpg

EDIT: I don’t see Interpol saying they’re playing shows with Death Cab. I think you’re confusing them with The Postal Service which is basically the same band. I saw one of the combined gigs over the summer because I’m a fan of both of those bands/albums and it was a blast. If you don’t like them, then you wouldn’t like that show that much 🤷‍♂️
I get what you mean about the two, but I have to be in different moods for DCfC vs. Postal Service. There are a couple Death Cab albums I could go without ever hearing again (a roommate used them as an alarm...FUUUUU!). But I also love a couple Death Cab albums way more than Postal Service (who I really like too).

I get what you mean about the two, but I have to be in different moods for DCfC vs. Postal Service. There are a couple Death Cab albums I could go without ever hearing again (a roommate used them as an alarm...FUUUUU!). But I also love a couple Death Cab albums way more than Postal Service (who I really like too).
Yeah, it was a fun show though. They do Transatlanticism and Give Up which don’t really blend well but it wasn’t a downer, and closing with Give Up instead of the other way around is needed with the more upbeat tunes on that album.

I don’t Ike thing.jpg

See I don’t even know which boring band I am talking about.

I love Interpol and don't care who hates them!

We are heading down to Hampton, VA next weekend for Goosemas at the mothership (Hampton Coliseum) Seriously considering picking up Interpol tix for one of the Beacon theatre shows in NYC on the 13th or 14th. Have a lot going on, but would love to squeeze one of those gigs in. Haven't missed a tour since pre-Antics release. We last saw them in Noblesville, IN with Smashing Pumpkins when we flew out for the Pearl Jam show that was postponed 4 1/2 hours before doors :(

I don’t mind that first interpol album but beyond that they’re just a bit boring and that whole thing of trying to ape Ian Curtis a load of singers were doing was all a bit weird back then.
I really enjoy the first two Interpol records. It probably helped that I was completely unfamiliar with Joy Division prior to first enjoying those Interpol albums I think the first Joy Division song I recall hearing was “Love Will Tear Us Apart” which was playing as part of the soundtracks in both the movies, Donnie Darko and Series 7 but by the time I had seen either of those I was already a fan of Turn On The Bright Lights.

I don’t Ike thing.jpg

LOL!

Old man yells at cloud….Except the cloud is in his mind.

I was bummed I missed the Postal Service/DCFC shows out here it sounded like it was a fun show.

Because of the reissue over in the preorder thread… back when they came out, I thought Sarah MacLachlan’s Fumbling…. And Surfacing were brilliant and emotionally powerful. I listened to them a few years ago and thought they were trite and boring.

Back