Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I'm the same way. I can appreciate him but his voice just sounds too gentle and/or weak for me.
Here's my hot take confession: I just can't get into Elliot Smith.
Have either of you listened to his band Heatmeiser?

If not, and you wanna ease yourself into Elliott Smith this might be the best way to approach it. Hits a much more raucous sound.

Though, for me I find ES solo work to be more mood music similar to Nick Drake. I have to be a the right headspace to fully enjoy his music.

Have either of you listened to his band Heatmeiser?

If not, and you wanna ease yourself into Elliott Smith this might be the best way to approach it. Hits a much more raucous sound.

Though, for me I find ES solo work to be more mood music similar to Nick Drake. I have to be a the right headspace to fully enjoy his music.

I'll check it out today...thanks.

Here's my hot take confession: I just can't get into Elliot Smith.

I'm the same way. I can appreciate him but his voice just sounds too gentle and/or weak for me.

I have given multiple efforts. I added about 30 songs to my Apple playlist that I find myself skipping almost every time.

As someone who is always ready to slander any number of artists that I know I'm supposed to like but just don't - I appreciate and respect these opinions.

That being said: Elliot Smith Rules.

And I'll double-down on my stan-dom, with this thought here on the Hot-Take thread:

In a year where Ixnay on the Hombre, Freak Show & Thee Dollar Bill Y'All were at the top of the Zeitgeist, where previously dominant arena acts were losing the thread (Pop, Be Here Now, Reload) and handing the Area Rock mantle over to Green Day and Radiohead, as the promise of the early 90s College Rock/Alternative scene was dead (for about 3 years now) and had been subsumed by Corporate interests, and while the rise of the Boy Bands was in full swing and Hip Hop was on the cusp of becoming what it is today .. Either/Or is easily one of the top 5 releases of 1997 (and that's not even ES's best album).

Last edited:
Either/Or is easily one of the top 5 releases of 1997
a very good year for music. IMO:
  1. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
  2. Bjork - Homogenic
  3. The Mountain Goats - Full Force Galesburg
  4. Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
  5. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call

searching albums that came out in 1997 and A LOT of lists have Either/Or up in the top 5 as well, so you're not alone in thinking that.

a very good year for music. IMO:
  1. Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
  2. Bjork - Homogenic
  3. The Mountain Goats - Full Force Galesburg
  4. Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
  5. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call

searching albums that came out in 1997 and A LOT of lists have Either/Or up in the top 5 as well, so you're not alone in thinking that.
No OK Computer?

LI used to LOVE Radiohead when I was in high school. They were my favorite band. But I overlistened to them and now can barely listen to them anymore. 15 years ago me would have that as my #1 without a doubt.
Same but substitute Radiohead with Dave Matthews Band. After taking a 15+ year break I can finally enjoy some of their albums again.

DMB wouldn’t be in my top 5 now though. OK Computer would be in my top 5 for sure.

Given that @wokeupnew provided his thoughts...
  1. Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
  2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# Inf
  3. Stereolab - Dots and Loops
  4. Erykah Badu - Baduizm
  5. Björk - Homogenic

It would also be top10. Meaning #10.
It’s funny. I was a freshman/sophomore in High School in 1997. I know you were probably very young in 1997. So If I were to to look at a list of albums I love now Vs albums I loved then the list would be very different but obviously you can only look backwards at 1997.

Time is wild.

1997 Top 5 Then (in no particular order)

Radiohead - OK Computer
Cornershop - When I was Born For The Seventh Time
Blur - Blur
Ben Folds Five - Whatever & Ever Amen
Foo Fighters - The Colour & The Shape

1997 Top 5 Now (in no particular order)

Radiohead - OK Computer
Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Pavement - Brighten The Corners
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
Belle & Sebastian - If You’re Feeling Sinister

It’s funny. I was a freshman/sophomore in High School in 1997. I know you were probably very young in 1997. So If I were to to look at a list of albums I love now Vs albums I loved then the list would be very different but obviously you can only look backwards at 1997.

Belle & Sebastian - If You’re Feeling Sinister
I was 6 in 1997 so I'm pretty sure I was listening to no music :LOL:

This was a US release in 1997 which I forgot, it was a 1996 in the UK. If you consider that It'd definitely be in my top 5.

I was 6 in 1997 so I'm pretty sure I was listening to no music :LOL:

This was a US release in 1997 which I forgot, it was a 1996 in the UK. If you consider that It'd definitely be in my top 5.
Yeah, in 97 the majority of my music knowledge came from MTV, Rolling Stone, & Spin magazine. Most of my CDs were purchased with money earned either on my paper route or detasseling in the summer. I woulda purchased most of my CDs at The Best Buy in Bloomington, IL when My mom or one of my friends parents would give us a ride there. CDs were between $12 and $14 and I can remember purchasing the albums listed in particular as I was very excited to be able to listen to the full albums since until I pressed play in my discman the only tracks I was familiar with were the singles.

One of my friends went away to Interlachen academy; an art based Boarding school in upper peninsula Michigan for her last two years of high school, when she was back home for breaks we would get together, smoke weed and listen to music. She was more into heavier stuff like Korn and Tool but she first introduced me to Belle & Sebastian via Tigermilk but that wasn’t until my senior year and I didn’t explore any further into their catalog until college.

Yeah, in 97 the majority of my music knowledge came from MTV, Rolling Stone, & Spin magazine. Most of my CDs were purchased with money earned either on my paper route or detasseling in the summer. I woulda purchased most of my CDs at The Best Buy in Bloomington, IL when My mom or one of my friends parents would give us a ride there. CDs were between $12 and $14 and I can remember purchasing the albums listed in particular as I was very excited to be able to listen to the full albums since until I pressed play in my discman the only tracks I was familiar with were the singles.

Basically the same plus The Source for hip hop. And Much Music, not MTV, because Canada.

My dad wasn’t down with the paid tv until well after I left home so no music tv channels. Top of the Pops and my weekly copies of NME and Melody Maker!

One of my friends went away to Interlachen academy (an art based Boarding school in upper peninsula Michigan for her last two years of high school, when she was back home for breaks we would get together, smoke weed and listen to music. She was more into heavier stuff like Korn and Tool but she first introduced me to Belle & Sebastian via Tigermilk but that wasn’t until my senior year and I didn’t explore any further into their catalog until college.

My Belle & Sebastian intro was '98/'99 working at HMV. My co-workers would often play If You're Feeling Sinister and I really took to it. I heard The Boy With The Arab Strap there a couple of times too, but didn't get into that one until bit later.

This was the forums verdict. Seeing as I can’t find the voting page for that year in the thread I’m guessing it’s probably in the old VMP forum.

Maybe we should do this game again someday. We’ve has a bit of member flux

View attachment 174682
Yeah, I didn’t have a clue who Modest Mouse, Godspeed, Nick Cave, Company Flow, or Spiritualized were in 1997.

I am glad I do now though.

Yeah, I didn’t have a clue who Modest Mouse, Godspeed, Nick Cave, Company Flow, or Spiritualized were in 1997.

I am glad I do now though.

Me neither. I think that year, I probably bought Radiohead and Blur, liked the Verve but couldn’t afford, Bob Dylan would have still been my Dad’s music and Björk was still the mad one that did It’s All So Quiet. The rest were all completely off my radar or the reviews in the mags didn’t pique my interest enough considering the tiny funds available to 14 year old Joe!

One of my friends went away to Interlachen academy; an art based Boarding school in upper peninsula Michigan for her last two years of high school, when she was back home for breaks we would get together, smoke weed and listen to music. She was more into heavier stuff like Korn and Tool but she first introduced me to Belle & Sebastian via Tigermilk but that wasn’t until my senior year and I didn’t explore any further into their catalog until college.
Cool! I know quite a few people that went there. Beautiful area. (It's actually in the northern lower peninsula.)

Back