Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Also, on the subject of Wine From The New World -- and don't say this in front of any Peruvians, because by and large they Are Not Fond Of Chile -- you may want to check out Chilean wines. They are wonderful. Argentine reds are also wonderful but IMO the best combination is Argentine steaks and Chilean wines. Argentinos are humorless pricks until you get to know them, and then they are a warm and lovely people, and holy shit do they work magic with red meat.

I’ve not had much luck with Chilean wines to be honest but that may be down to the quality of what is exported. I’ve had some excellent Argentinian Malbecs but not the ones at low prices and when they’re up against that price of French/Spanish/Italian reds it’s a hard sell.

I’ve not met many Argentinians but the ones I have are always sound. The Irish and Argentinians mix well. Lots of Irish emigrated to South America and Argentina in particular. There was a Mac Allister with ancestors from north Dublin their World Cup winning team and Che Guevara was descended from the Lynch tribe of Galway on one of his sides. There were actually a fair few Irish involved in the various independence movements and rebellions in South America, most famously O’Higgins in Chile, we’re good at stirring up a bit of an ole insurrection..

Thrice's Re-recording of The Artist in The Ambulance is the best album released in 2023 so far.
This is hot insomuch that anybody cares.

Is it better than the original version?

If not, than what’s the point? Is it some sort of contractual Taylor Swift type move to gain control over their music ownership/publishing right?

To me this just seems like you prefer an album that was released in 2003 to any releases that have come out during the first quarter of 2023. Which is fine. I prefer The White Stripes Elephant to anything released thus far in 2023 too.

To me this just seems like you prefer an album that was released in 2003 to any releases that have come out during the first quarter of 2023. Which is fine. I prefer The White Stripes Elephant to anything released thus far in 2023 too.
Exactly. Its another way of saying the 1st 1/3 of the year has been so terrible that a "revisited" version of an album that came out 20 years ago - is better than what we are getting now.

Did the WS re-release Elephant this year? I was unaware.

Better? 🤷‍♂️

Well, I guess that’s as good a reason as anything.

I am bitter about re-recorded albums and songs. I don’t recall the artist but when I was a teenager I purchased one of those cheapo greatest hits comps of an artist on to realize that they had re-recorded all the hits and sounded just different enough that it bothered me. Forget who it was though.

Well, I guess that’s as good a reason as anything.

I am bitter about re-recorded albums and songs. I don’t recall the artist but when I was a teenager I purchased one of those cheapo greatest hits comps of an artist on to realize that they had re-recorded all the hits and sounded just different enough that it bothered me. Forget who it was though.
It usually bugs me too. If they put a different spin on them I can like it, but generally I think they should just do that live and let the studio stuff live as is.

Exactly. Its another way of saying the 1st 1/3 of the year has been so terrible that a "revisited" version of an album that came out 20 years ago - is better than what we are getting now.

Did the WS re-release Elephant this year? I was unaware.

Better? 🤷‍♂️
Takes like this make me wonder what people are actually listening to.

Takes like this make me wonder what people are actually listening to.
So - every Friday I add new releases to my 2023 playlist.

All the hyped releases, all the stuff by artists I know I'm supposed to like (TS, Beyoncé, Tame Impala, Tyler the Creator, etc.), all the releases I've anticipated, N&G recommendations, and albums with interesting album covers and bands whose name/album titles that catch my eye ALL go on the list.

I listen all day, every day at work on shuffle. 8 am to 6-7 pm.

When I cant stomach a particular release any longer, it comes off the playlist. By the end of the year I've whittled it down to all the releases I liked in that year. Jan 1st I start all over again

Aside from various random "singles" (which on Spotify often have more than 1 song - so they feel like an EP) this is what is on the list as of today:
  • Angel Olsen - Forever Means EP
  • Atreyu - The Hope of a Spark EP
  • The Mars Volta - Palm Full of Crux EP
  • We re Only Human Once - Every Dog On Earth
  • Bass Drum of Death - Say I Won't
  • Heavy Blanket - Moon Is
  • The Tubs - Dead Meat
  • The Men - New York City
  • The aforementioned Thrice AITA revisited
  • Black Belt Eagle Scout - The Land, The Water, The Sky
  • Runner - Like Dying Stars, We're Reaching Out
  • The Smile - S/T Live at Montreux
  • Manchester Orchestra - The Valley of Vision
  • Death Cab for Cutie - Asphalt Meadow Acoustic
  • deathcrash - Less
  • U2 - Songs of Surrender (but this one is about to get the boot)
  • Fidlar - That's Life
  • The Van Pelt - Artisans and Merchants
  • Lana Del Rey - Did You Know that there's a Tunnel.....
  • Depeche Mode - Memento Mori (See U2)
  • August Burns Red - Death Blow
  • Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon Live at Wembley
  • Boygenius - The Record
  • The Hold Steady - The Price of Progress
  • LIES - S/T
  • Wednesday - Rat Saw God
  • Covet - Catharsis
  • Metallica - 72 Seasons
  • Chat Pile - Brothers In Christ EP
  • The National Honor Society - All the Distance Between US
  • Superviolet - Infinite Spring