Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Have you looked at the elfa systems at the Container Store?

Not a huge fan of the metal bracket and wire shelf type systems.

This Lundia system is being tossed around in the Storage thread, but I have a feeling what I want will get very expensive, very quickly...

Gotta love when that deposit check for two bathroom remodels gets cashed 6 months before you even get to see construction start.

Hurray for long material supply delays and a crazy housing market causing more people to remodel than sell.

So I live on the second of three floors in a hundred year old apartment building. A while back I noticed a section of the wall underneath a window (in which the other side is outside) felt malleable. Like you could apply some force with one hand and the there was some "give" to it. I let my building super know and went on with my life.

We just went through a couple weeks of pretty rainy weather, and today I noticed the paint around that section of the wall was ballooning. As I went to give it a little force, the same amount as before, my fingers just pushed right through and made a hole. I also noticed this malleability starting to occur below another window on the other side of the apartment.

I let the Super know and he insists it's a paint issue; that the last time that wall was painted it wasn't primed properly and some moisture got in (being an old building I assume its not well insulated). He said a painters going to come next week and that's that. I was fine with believing that untill I saw this starting to occur much further down the wall around a different window.

So basicly I want to poll the group to see if my anxiety is warranted or not, as I know very little about this sort of stuff. Should I believe my super and just wait for a new paint job, or should I hire an outside structural inspector to look for for moisture damage?

Cheers

So I live on the second of three floors in a hundred year old apartment building. A while back I noticed a section of the wall underneath a window (in which the other side is outside) felt malleable. Like you could apply some force with one hand and the there was some "give" to it. I let my building super know and went on with my life.

We just went through a couple weeks of pretty rainy weather, and today I noticed the paint around that section of the wall was ballooning. As I went to give it a little force, the same amount as before, my fingers just pushed right through and made a hole. I also noticed this malleability starting to occur below another window on the other side of the apartment.

I let the Super know and he insists it's a paint issue; that the last time that wall was painted it wasn't primed properly and some moisture got in (being an old building I assume its not well insulated). He said a painters going to come next week and that's that. I was fine with believing that untill I saw this starting to occur much further down the wall around a different window.

So basicly I want to poll the group to see if my anxiety is warranted or not, as I know very little about this sort of stuff. Should I believe my super and just wait for a new paint job, or should I hire an outside structural inspector to look for for moisture damage?

Cheers
I’m on team hire an outside structural inspector.

This. But maybe look for a Building Envelope consultant too.
Do you have a suggestion for going about that?

Looking at their site their main contact form is for building managers, just wondering if I should keep pressing my Super to order an inspection or order it myself.

Do you have a suggestion for going about that?
Well if you were in the central Ohio area I would know a guy. We have a new department in our office that heads that kind of stuff up. They are able to figure out all sorts of water related issues. Best bet would be Google a BEC company and just see if you can ask them a few questions. Of nothing else it may give you an idea of where to head next.

BEC meaning building envelope.

Cheers
Yeah that ain't caused by a bad priming job. Water is getting in somewhere.

Yeah that ain't caused by a bad priming job. Water is getting in somewhere.
Yeah he insists it's a bad seal on the other side, and that when the painter comes he can just stick his head out the window and voila.

At this point I'm deciding if I want to pester the building owner or just hire someone myself.

Yeah he insists it's a bad seal on the other side, and that when the painter comes he can just stick his head out the window and voila.

At this point I'm deciding if I want to pester the building owner or just hire someone myself.
Whats the outside of the building made of? Paint is not a seal, ever.

Looks like concrete/cement. It was originally built as a theater in the 1920's before being converted to apartments post WW2.
Okay first off that's cool.
Second off 1920s I'm guessing it's brick thats covered in mortar/exterior plaster and then painted. I certainly could be wrong but I don't think there were a lot of solid concrete buildings in the 20s. So yeah for sure the seal is probably in need of repair but paint ain't gunna do it. They'd need to at the very least fill any cracks then paint. And honestly if you've got it under both windows it's way more likely (in my mind) that the windows themselves need replacing than it is that water just happens to be pooling under the windows by complete fluke instead of anywhere else on your walls.

Again, this is just Mather the homeowner talking rather than someone who actually knows extensively about this stuff like some others on here do...

Last edited:
Okay first off that's cool.
Second off 1920s I'm guessing it's brick thats covered mortar/exterior plaster and then painted. I certainly could be wrong but I don't think there were a lot of solid concrete buildings in the 20s. So yeah for sure the seal is probably in need of repair but paint ain't gunna do it. They'd need to say the very least fill any cracks then paint. And honestly if you've got it under both windows it's way more likely (in my mind) that the windows themselves need replacing than it is that water just happens to be pooling under the windows by complete fluke instead of anywhere else on your walls.

Again, this is just Mather the homeowner talking rather than someone who actually knows extensively about this stuff like some others on here do...
No your insight does help. Thank you. I was raised by a pair of lesbians so my knowledge in this area is lacking. I had a hunch this was beyond a simple paint job but I wanted some backing from people who have actual knowledge about this stuff (and I didn't want to call one of my uncles...)

Sent an email to the building owner and asked for a quote from 2 inspection places. Hopefully nothing bad happens in the next few weeks.

how do people find out who to call to diagnose certain issues with your house? i've had a few things lately with our house that we just had no idea what kind of person to call to fix. I think we're probably sorted (for now) but just something i've been wondering about.

No your insight does help. Thank you. I was raised by a pair of lesbians so my knowledge in this area is lacking. I had a hunch this was beyond a simple paint job but I wanted some backing from people who have actual knowledge about this stuff (and I didn't want to call one of my uncles...)

Sent an email to the building owner and asked for a quote from 2 inspection places. Hopefully nothing bad happens in the next few weeks.
I had windows installed at my place this year, an older window on the second floor leaked during a crazy rain storm and water was legit POURING through the corner of the ceiling a floor below in my newly finished basement. I had the window re-sealed immediately afterwards and the drywall is all completely solid like months later. And there was... ENOUGH water. So if you've got bubbling and it's soft enough you can put your hand through it, then it's getting a pretty good amount of water on a pretty regularly basis. Paint won't fix that in my opinion.

how do people find out who to call to diagnose certain issues with your house? i've had a few things lately with our house that we just had no idea what kind of person to call to fix. I think we're probably sorted (for now) but just something i've been wondering about.
Man, it's so hard to find good trusted people. Neighborhood old schoolers can help with that. I've got this guy Sid across the street from me and he knows how to do everything and I'm just this useless tit who's always bringing him beer and broken things for him to fix.

Man, it's so hard to find good trusted people. Neighborhood old schoolers can help with that. I've got this guy Sid across the street from me and he knows how to do everything and I'm just this useless tit who's always bringing him beer and broken things for him to fix.
we found a really good handyman, electrician and plumber so far which are the heavy hitters, but for some other things I know nothing about who to even call to fix something. we had a leak in our basement in the corner and it was dripping down one of the rafters but couldn't for the life of us figure out where the water was coming from. there was no water above it and no pipe above it either. but was a steady drip. no leak on the floor above either. wondered if there was a leak in the foundation or something because we just had a bad storm but didn't make sense why it would still be leaking so steadily...called a foundation/waterproofing guy and he said it didn't look like a leak in the foundation but had no clue what it could be.

luckily my dad lives about 20 minutes away and is pretty good at fixing stuff. took us a few hours but finally found a pipe that had a tiny pinhole leak in it that was spraying a mist of water up and over onto the beam above. but up until that point, had no clue really who to call to properly figure out what was wrong...it's a bit frustrating as a new homeowner to figure some of this stuff out.

our neighbors are great at recommending people so far but every once in awhile we'll have an issue and just have no clue who to call to fix it. i guess a lot is live and learn....buying a house from 1870 as a first time homeowner might not have been the best idea....but we love everything about the house except for the seemingly constant work we need to do on it. we get a little worried every time there's a bad rain storm/wind storm...

we found a really good handyman, electrician and plumber so far which are the heavy hitters, but for some other things I know nothing about who to even call to fix something. we had a leak in our basement in the corner and it was dripping down one of the rafters but couldn't for the life of us figure out where the water was coming from. there was no water above it and no pipe above it either. but was a steady drip. no leak on the floor above either. wondered if there was a leak in the foundation or something because we just had a bad storm but didn't make sense why it would still be leaking so steadily...called a foundation/waterproofing guy and he said it didn't look like a leak in the foundation but had no clue what it could be.

luckily my dad lives about 20 minutes away and is pretty good at fixing stuff. took us a few hours but finally found a pipe that had a tiny pinhole leak in it that was spraying a mist of water up and over onto the beam above. but up until that point, had no clue really who to call to properly figure out what was wrong...it's a bit frustrating as a new homeowner to figure some of this stuff out.

our neighbors are great at recommending people so far but every once in awhile we'll have an issue and just have no clue who to call to fix it. i guess a lot is live and learn....buying a house from 1870 as a first time homeowner might not have been the best idea....but we love everything about the house except for the seemingly constant work we need to do on it. we get a little worried every time there's a bad rain storm/wind storm...
Yeah it's hard to know sometimes. Like with water, if it's coming from outside the house, call waterproofing foundation person, of it's inside the house, plumber. If you don't know? Ugh... You've got s 50/50 shot... Good contractors won't change you for an estimate but these days SO many people are renovating instead of buying due to prices (up here at least) that they are really expensive and picky with their jobs now... and they're more likely to charge to for showing up unlike before...

Back