Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Bought a snow blower and riding mower. Feel like a real suburban homeowner now. (I also pretty much guaranteed southern PA is getting no snow this year. You're welcome, or sorry depending on your opinions.)

The kitchen renovation is moving along, but with pauses because of labor/material issues. Just like everything else right? We knew this going in, our builder gave a realistic schedule at the beginning of the project.
It's been difficult going without a kitchen sink for a month, but we should have countertops installed tomorrow, then backsplash on Thursday. I think we will be able to load the cupboards/cabinets/drawers and have a functioning kitchen by this weekend! I'll send finished pics when it's done.

I think I’ve given up on landscapers for the year. After trying (literally) fifteen companies, one actually sent someone out (who then ghosted me), one called me back and said their estimates are backed up until January, and one other who answered their phone, said “we aren’t taking on any new work until Summer 2022” and hung up on me.

So I gotta figure out what to do with this hole in my lawn and get to dropping some grass seed muy pronto, methinks.

I gotta do something because I’m in a very “I hate my house” place right now.

The kitchen is done! (except for that one missing cabinet pull!)

We are already talking about updating the family room because we aren't loving the paint color in relation to the new kitchen colors. Plus we know we need new carpet anyway. View attachment 114069View attachment 114070View attachment 114071View attachment 114072View attachment 114073View attachment 114074View attachment 114075
That’s niiiiice lookin’.

(Except once you mentioned the missing pull I couldn’t move on until I found it in the first photo. )

The kitchen is done! (except for that one missing cabinet pull!)

We are already talking about updating the family room because we aren't loving the paint color in relation to the new kitchen colors. Plus we know we need new carpet anyway. View attachment 114069View attachment 114070View attachment 114071View attachment 114072View attachment 114073View attachment 114074View attachment 114075
Yeah that really looks fantastic, good job. The bar is awesome. Let me know how it is having constant beer on tap 24/7.

Get about 5 yards of aquarium tubing to run up through the ceiling and drop near the couch. Become the drunken human hamster you always knew you could be.
This is precisely the kind of thing that has stopped me from getting a kegerator... I have no self control.

This is precisely the kind of thing that has stopped me from getting a kegerator... I have no self control.
Makes sense. A client of mine had 4 taps with chilled lines running to his bar and two more lines running to the bar in his bedroom. That feels like either the beginning of something amazing or the end of something terrible.

cabinet pull has me thinking of a man working for a kitchen design company who inexplicably forgot the word handle and was flailing around throwing out words trying to describe what it does to his colleagues…

Also the kitchen looks fantastic, congrats!

I forgot the word staple and stapler once and was in the office trying to describe the stampy thing that puts paper together with the little metal things….
One time at work there were like 700 different things happening at once and all these crazy games were ending and it was just total chaos and in the middle of it the whole control room spontaneously starting chanting "SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS!!" at the top of our lungs.

The whole newsroom thought we had all completely lost our minds.

I am kind of afraid at how fast this first one will be empty. I tapped it Wednesday (with an IPA at 6.8%) and have had at least a couple every day during the week. Saturday and Sunday I poured my first at around 1 pm and just kind of had a glass of beer going all day. I told myself I should maybe pour full ones so I have some idea as to my consumption, but then realized the buzz should tell me that.

Right on cue - the kitchen is done, and so I found a bit of water in the basement last night. And it's in my music studio, so yeah, big problem. Nothing damaged at this point except my sweet rug that really tied the room together but finding the source asap is key. I've been in this house 20 years and haven't had this issue yet. I'll be cutting away paneling and hopefully finding the issue today. Seems like a good reason to leave work early.
I know I'm not alone - owning a home means you are in a constant state of repairing or upgrading.

Right on cue - the kitchen is done, and so I found a bit of water in the basement last night. And it's in my music studio, so yeah, big problem. Nothing damaged at this point except my sweet rug that really tied the room together but finding the source asap is key. I've been in this house 20 years and haven't had this issue yet. I'll be cutting away paneling and hopefully finding the issue today. Seems like a good reason to leave work early.
I know I'm not alone - owning a home means you are in a constant state of repairing or upgrading.
Could it be related to the kitchen reno? Pipes moved etc?

Could it be related to the kitchen reno? Pipes moved etc?
I doesn't seem like it could be, there is no plumbing anywhere near this corner of the basement. But, I called my contractor and he's going to meet me there later to have a look. As of this morning there was no new water, so I don't think it's a leaking pipe or joint. I hadn't played on my drum kit in well over a couple weeks; when I reached down for the t-shirt I use to muffle the snare it was soaked and I hoped I knocked my beer over. (even though I never put beer near my equipment.) So it's possible this happened a couple days ago, a week ago...I really don't know.
I'm on two hours sleep (also because of this issue) so this should definitely go well.

I doesn't seem like it could be, there is no plumbing anywhere near this corner of the basement. But, I called my contractor and he's going to meet me there later to have a look. As of this morning there was no new water, so I don't think it's a leaking pipe or joint. I hadn't played on my drum kit in well over a couple weeks; when I reached down for the t-shirt I use to muffle the snare it was soaked and I hoped I knocked my beer over. (even though I never put beer near my equipment.) So it's possible this happened a couple days ago, a week ago...I really don't know.
I'm on two hours sleep (also because of this issue) so this should definitely go well.
Is the ceiling open in the basement? Guessing you can't see any water marks on the walls or ceiling?

Did you have heavy rain in the past few days?

Back