Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Gotta replace some missing smoke detectors tonight because we have inspection on our house tomorrow. Do smoke detectors give anyone else extreme anxiety or is it just me? I feel like I'm diffusing a bomb when I install them.
Just got the inspection report and after working up the nerve to install the smoke detectors the report literally had a picture of one of the detectors installed THE DAY BEFORE with a note "update and replace all smoke detectors and install Carbon Monoxide detector near bedrooms"! The one in the hallway outside the bedrooms IS a Carbon Monoxide detector!

Just got the inspection report and after working up the nerve to install the smoke detectors the report literally had a picture of one of the detectors installed THE DAY BEFORE with a note "update and replace all smoke detectors and install Carbon Monoxide detector near bedrooms"! The one in the hallway outside the bedrooms IS a Carbon Monoxide detector!
That's... strange. Really really bad inspector?

That's... strange. Really really bad inspector?
He put "major deterioration of roof shingles". We had a roofer out this morning and said we have at least 10 years left on the roof. Soo..yeah. If you can't trust an inspection company with "Dawg" in the name then who can you trust anymore?

The roofer said a lot of inspectors out dumb notes like that to cover their butts.

He put "major deterioration of roof shingles". We had a roofer out this morning and said we have at least 10 years left on the roof. Soo..yeah. If you can't trust an inspection company with "Dawg" in the name then who can you trust anymore?

The roofer said a lot of inspectors out dumb notes like that to cover their butts.
That's brutal, I'm not even sure what you do with that. Was this someone else's inspector, like the buyer? Or was this you guys just getting it ready to sell?

That's brutal, I'm not even sure what you do with that. Was this someone else's inspector, like the buyer? Or was this you guys just getting it ready to sell?
This was the inspector hired by the people buying our house. The buyers said they weren't going to ask for any major repairs so the only thing they asked for was for us to have the roof inspected and we did and he wrote up a certificate they the roof is fine. So basically were done with that. The minor stuff (like smoke detectors) is on them after they move in.

Plumber came by today, “Call your adjuster.” MFer. Gonna have to hammer through the foundation probably.

I was talking to my neighbor. He offered to help hammer the foundation and do the plumbing work. It seems like a lot of work for a couple of guys on the weekend though.

So my claim is coming through. Looks like it wind cover the plumbing work but it will cover the damage to the floor and everything else. Asbestos abatement, drywall, and painting. The big kicker is that the floor is continuous through the lower level, put to the middle level and up the strait to the high level. They will reimburse me for that replacement even though there is not damage on the two upper floors.

Option 1: get all the floors replaced

Option 2: get the bottom level flooring replaced use the leftover to cover the other costs and pocket the rest. The big catch is if we can’t have a claim on the floors we don’t get replaced.

Being all cinderblock do you have ceiling dampers or anything in there? Feels like it could get loud/boomy.
Hahaha well it ain't audiophile that's for sure. That's the back garage so that's a huge double garage door that opens on the right there, and then two all weather event monitor speakers on stands in each corner to the left. But honestly it's not boomy, it's loud but it actually sounds quite good. Now if I was to blast the speakers with the door shut mayyyybeee however the door is insulated so that may help? By the ceiling is all wood and has insulation around all the joists so I think that likely helps too.

Hahaha well it ain't audiophile that's for sure. That's the back garage so that's a huge double garage door that opens on the right there, and then two all weather event monitor speakers on stands in each corner to the left. But honestly it's not boomy, it's loud but it actually sounds quite good. Now if I was to blast the speakers with the door shut mayyyybeee however the door is insulated so that may help? By the ceiling is all wood and has insulation around all the joists so I think that likely helps too.
Nice. I’m hoping I can pool my bonuses next year with the ol’ tax refund and have a landscaper build me a nifty outdoor entertaining space in my giant waste-of-a-land-parcel yard. I love the extra not-in-the-house entertaining space like you have. My garage is too small, in use, and frankly about as structurally sound as an appliance box (all due apologies to appliance boxes).

Nice. I’m hoping I can pool my bonuses next year with the ol’ tax refund and have a landscaper build me a nifty outdoor entertaining space in my giant waste-of-a-land-parcel yard. I love the extra not-in-the-house entertaining space like you have. My garage is too small, in use, and frankly about as structurally sound as an appliance box (all due apologies to appliance boxes).
I think that's a good call, it's a great space to have the option of using. I've got a wood heating stove in there, but I've never actually used it. But yeah in terms of sound baffling, I'm not sure if it's the fact that the door is always open or the ceilings are pretty high or that cinder block doesn't reflect sound as much as one would think, but it really does sound pretty good in there so you probably won't have to worry too much about that.

Back