Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Time to re-do the loo.
We're keeping the flooring and commode, just a paint job, new lighting and vanity.
But first up was re-glazing the bathtub. I think it went ok, most of the labor was before the actual coats. Scrubbing, sanding, washing, even vacuuming the tub to get as much surface area smooth and clean. I applied two coats a few hours apart, I just took a look after letting it dry since late afternoon, it looks pretty good!

Finally broke down and called the landscapers to kick my yard back into shape from the tree removal and to finish a project that I started before I got sick. Hopefully going to use this year to get the front yard/around the house shaped up and planted, then next year splash out for a covered patio/entertaining space at the back of my property.

I always get nervous getting these bids, because I have no idea what this stuff costs. The landscaper seemed nice and didn’t try to upswell me or suggest anything squirrelly so that’s nice.

Last edited:
Just had the preliminary meeting yesterday with the contractor who is going to re-do our kitchen. It's been 20 years since I've done anything with the kitchen aside from appliance upgrades. We're adding an island and a kegerator, it's all pretty exciting. I'll be posting before and after pics, although it sounds like it'll be October before we can get scheduled.

Ditched replacing the backyard deck with another and will be going with a stamped concrete patio instead. Just too damn hard to get lumber right now for a reasonable price, and a patio will last longer. Also, the idea of being able to add onto it as our budget allows is appealing to me. Would love a pagota and a path to our fence entrance at some point.

Agreed to the proposal this afternoon. Scheduling looks to be end of July-ish, so that's not ideal, but just having something in the works is all I could ask for.

Ditched replacing the backyard deck with another and will be going with a stamped concrete patio instead. Just too damn hard to get lumber right now for a reasonable price, and a patio will last longer. Also, the idea of being able to add onto it as our budget allows is appealing to me. Would love a pagota and a path to our fence entrance at some point.

Agreed to the proposal this afternoon. Scheduling looks to be end of July-ish, so that's not ideal, but just having something in the works is all I could ask for.
Ooh keep me posted...wife and I were thinking bout this too

Ooh keep me posted...wife and I were thinking bout this too
My parents have a really nice one in their backyard, but I've always been hesitant to get one of my own because I've seen (and smelled) my dad trying to re-seal it. It's not a fun process.

But, we're running out of options and I've already put my foot through one part of our deck so it's got. to. go.

HVAC guy is coming this week. The internet say 3-6 k for install of a new unit. Sound right?

Last time he was there he said 10k for this along with heating. Our heating works fine and we barely use it.

HVAC guy is coming this week. The internet say 3-6 k for install of a new unit. Sound right?

Last time he was there he said 10k for this along with heating. Our heating works fine and we barely use it.
Just the unit? No duct work etc?

2100 sq ft and 2 story.

Us or Canadian$
Canadian but also our house is smaller and only a bungalow. And this was like 5 years ago before Covid reno prices went nuts. So those prices you mentioned are probably about right. Though I think $6000 is high for just an AC unit.

We got our entire system done for about 10K. $3-$6 for install of a new unit seems right.
And speaking of that....
We got our AC replaced almost 5 years ago. Our machine started acting funny and wasn't cooling the house, so we got the people that installed it to come back out and look at it (we have a maintenance plan with them so they were already scheduled to come over). They said it was a coolant leak. The good news is that we are about 6 weeks shy of the warranty for labor to be up, so we are going to get this thing fixed on the warranty!

I just got a quote of 9500 for replacement of heating and air conditioning. Between this and all the other stuff we need to do we are not gonna have any equity left front the three years we’ve been paying the mortgage.

I’m trying to find a Brewster’s Millions gif of the rich guys to tease my friend about hiring a plumber to snake his kitchen sink after I told him to watch some videos on YouTube and go to Home Depot.

Back