Hip Hop

Too wordy. Not accessible enough.

Stankonia isn't even my favorite Outkast album and they have that at #2.

Did VMP help with this list? I'd accuse that condescending fuck Storfer of being involved, but Soulja Boy didn't crack the top 10
I so agree with you on Stankonia. Southernplaya, ATLiens and Aquemini are ALL better albums than Stankonia. And Missy in the Top 10?? Please. No disrespect to Missy, but in no reality is any album she did better than 36 Chambers, Low End or The Miseducation let alone others further down the list. And Supreme Clientele below Drake?? Just the fact that Azealia Banks is on this list at all makes it null and void.

Last edited:
I so agree with you on Stankonia. Southernplaya, ATLiens and Aquemini are ALL better albums than Stankonia. And Missy in the Top 10?? Please. No disrespect to Missy, but in no reality is any album she did better than 36 Chambers, Low End or The Miseducation let alone others further down the list. And Supreme Clientele below Drake?? Just the fact that Azealia Banks is on this list at all makes it null and void.

They're looking for hits and it's got Ms Jackson on it. That Missy isn't even Supa Dupa Fly and even that doesn't deserve that kind of ranking. I love Supreme Clientele, but should it be ranked ahead of Liquid Swords or Cuban Linx? 2001 is ranked way higher than the Chronic, because they love Eminem. This is an MTV rap list made by people who don't know shit about anything. Look how many albums released within the last year are listed.

I love Supreme Clientele, but should it be ranked ahead of Liquid Swords or Cuban Linx?
This is just my opinion on those 3 but I go OBFCL, Supreme Clientele and then Liquid Swords. Of the 3 I think Liquid Swords has aged the worst, but when it comes to those 3 albums OBFCL is always at the top and then the rest is personal choice. OBFCL will always be my favorite solo Wu album and by a pretty good margin.

This is just my opinion on those 3 but I go OBFCL, Supreme Clientele and then Liquid Swords. Of the 3 I think Liquid Swords has aged the worst, but when it comes to those 3 albums OBFCL is always at the top and then the rest is personal choice. OBFCL will always be my favorite solo Wu album and by a pretty good margin.

I disagree that Liquid Swords hasn't aged well. It's my favorite of the 3. Either way, Future is listed 17 spots ahead of Cuban Linx

I’d say the top 50 is ranked poorly, but 70% of the albums on the list should be there.

Way too much modern though which I guess I’d prefer that over a list of nothing but 80s/90s, which is what their top 500 albums of all time lists used to do, only heavy on 60s/70s.

The list bites, absolute facts that Stankonia, well, stanks compared to any Kast that preceded it.

But... at least the list is more creative than the thousands of "hip hop fans" who say Pac, Big, Jay, Nas, and Em are the undisputed top 5 as if that makes them knowledgeable. Then they can only name California Love, Juicy, "that H to the Izzo song"/"that 99 problems song"/"NEEEWWW YOOOORRRRKKKK", Illmatic, and every Eminem song ever made.

The "Wu Tang essentials" vinyl that just dropped is a crime against humanity. It pretends that 36 Chambers and Forever are the only Wu Tang albums.. meanwhile thousands of people in wu tang shirts they got at Target run amock, blissfully unaware that the members of the temple ALL made their best music in their "solo" careers. Wu Tang is the Pink Floyd DSOTM of hip-hop. Rant over protect ya neck bitches :ROFLMAO:

The list bites, absolute facts that Stankonia, well, stanks compared to any Kast that preceded it.

But... at least the list is more creative than the thousands of "hip hop fans" who say Pac, Big, Jay, Nas, and Em are the undisputed top 5 as if that makes them knowledgeable. Then they can only name California Love, Juicy, "that H to the Izzo song"/"that 99 problems song"/"NEEEWWW YOOOORRRRKKKK", Illmatic, and every Eminem song ever made.

The "Wu Tang essentials" vinyl that just dropped is a crime against humanity. It pretends that 36 Chambers and Forever are the only Wu Tang albums.. meanwhile thousands of people in wu tang shirts they got at Target run amock, blissfully unaware that the members of the temple ALL made their best music in their "solo" careers. Wu Tang is the Pink Floyd DSOTM of hip-hop. Rant over protect ya neck bitches :ROFLMAO:
Hey, I bought that Wu shirt at Target 😔

I think I like Stankonia more than ATLiens, but still that makes it number 3 on my current OutKast album ranking 😂

Aquemini
Southernplayalistic..
Stankonia
ATLiens

I never really listened much to the rest. That number four spot is going to have some folks questioning me probably

I think I like Stankonia more than ATLiens, but still that makes it number 3 on my current OutKast album ranking 😂

Aquemini
Southernplayalistic..
Stankonia
ATLiens

I never really listened much to the rest. That number four spot is going to have some folks questioning me probably
It would be hard for me to say that ATLiens is last but seeing you do so wouldn't make me question you at all. If anything, it suggests to me that you're forming an honest opinion of your own and not just following or being swayed by 'what you're supposed' to think.

There's really no wrong answer to me it's completely up to the listener and we all take in music in different ways. I honestly can't even rank these 4 albums like that. I love them all. It really just depends on the day.

Aquemini
Southernplayalistic..
Stankonia
ATLiens

For me

Aquemeni
ATLiens

Stankonia/Southernplaya

All great albums that I'm happy to own, Aquemeni and ATLiens are just masterpieces and a cut above for me.

For me

Aquemeni
ATLiens

Stankonia/Southernplaya

All great albums that I'm happy to own, Aquemeni and ATLiens are just masterpieces and a cut above for me.

It's all subjective, obviously, but ATLiens is number 1 for me. I like dustier production in general and I love Elevators. I remember when that shit came out and it's like being enveloped into a cloud of smoke. Nothing else feels like that song. The title track epitomizes Outkast to me in general.

Aquemini is great, because it showed an interesting evolution in what they were doing; expanding their sound and identity, as opposed to all out abandoning it. I remember seeing the Rosa Parks and Skew It On The Bar-B videos on Rap City back in the day and they were both instantly engaging and stand out cuts at the time. That title track is amazing, too. You knew they were doing something and could, arguably, make it a better overall album, but personal connections and context are difficult things to separate or account for.

I'm not trashing Stankonia, at all, but The Rolling Stone list is clearly made by people who are prioritizing the commercial hits and/or breakout albums, made clear by their reasoning, beyond the placements. Personally, I'd be good with never hearing Ms. Jackson ever again the way that was beat into the ground and that's the major selling point for them. I just don't think it's the second greatest hip hop album of all time.

Back