Hip Hop

I'm done with the topic but i find it kinda fucked up how much some of yall seem to be willing to give Jeru a pass on this one. If this was some country singer talking the other way, there'd be no one defending them and yet here we are. I need to take a break.

I always enjoy your insight on hip hop and not that I always agree I still enjoy what you have to offer. I was wondering if you could share some of your background on the subject?

In actual hip hop vinyl news, Boldface EP, Layups, FNIC, and Thrill of the Hunt 2 all arrived in the last couple days! Haven't had a chance to spin them yet but I have been listening to the albums on bandcamp quite a bit. Hopefully Price of Tea in China gets a vinyl release soon.

Hoping my FNIC gets here tomorrow!!!

I am so ready for this album. I also hope they clear any samples for his songs on his youtube channel. Lot of gems of his not on streaming
I was ready 10 years ago, not sure about now. If it ends up being good, I sure hope Alc doesn't get to have any input on the pricing structure.

I was ready 10 years ago, not sure about now. If it ends up being good, I sure hope Alc doesn't get to have any input on the pricing structure.

I didn't think the potential for greatness in art ever had a expiration date. I've been enjoying this man's music for the last 10 years he's giving us 8 out of 15 songs from the album that never came...he's given us numerous features, random loosies, etc. Yeah we don't have a traditional album but I have like 70 Jay Electronica songs amd features iirc

But yeah definitely hoping that Roc Nation handles the physical release if there is one

Edit: This isn't a dig at u either, I just see/hear this so often and ppl say "man the guy has 3 songs and some features he's been done" and it's like....gahhh

I didn't think the potential for greatness in art ever had a expiration date. I've been enjoying this man's music for the last 10 years he's giving us 8 out of 15 songs from the album that never came...he's given us numerous features, random loosies, etc. Yeah we don't have a traditional album but I have like 70 Jay Electronica songs amd features iirc

But yeah definitely hoping that Roc Nation handles the physical release if there is one

Edit: This isn't a dig at u either, I just see/hear this so often and ppl say "man the guy has 3 songs and some features he's been done" and it's like....gahhh
I just look at it this way, the statistics are against him. The number of artists who put out their first great album at his age is extremely small. If you count his prolific uncleared sample period as a debut, the number of artists who put out a great album 10 years after their breakthrough is also small.

I think I was unclear. I wasn't saying I don't want a great Jay Electronica album now. I was trying to convey that he has lost all the confidence I had in him that he was capable of putting out a great album over the last ten years. I still really want him to put out a great album, but I don't think I'll be pre-ordering, I'll believe it when I hear it, you know?

Last edited:
I just look at it this way, the statistics are against him. The number of artists who put out their first great album at his age is extremely small. If you count his prolific uncleared sample period as a debut, the number of artists who put out a great album 10 years after their breakthrough is also small.

I think I was unclear. I wasn't saying I don't want a great Jay Electronica album now. I was trying to convey they he has lost all the confidence I had in him that he was capable of putting out a great album over the last ten years. I still really want him to put out a great album, but I don't think I'll be pre-ordering, I'll believe it when I hear it, you know?

I see what you mean! I respect that! His story is what keeps me interested. The Rothschild affair which I think messed up the drop in 2012 after he tweeted the tracklist. A baby with Erykah and their relationship. Him being shelved at Roc Nation. Hes calling it a written testimony. I wanna believe Griselda's success, and them partnering with Hov helped this. I think he finally gave Jay E the greenlight at his age, to tell the whole truth to whoever still wants to hear it

Then again it seems his "Written Testimony" will be coded much like all his lyrics. I'm here for it either way lol

Back