Hip Hop

First thoughts?

A lot to digest for sure.. especially considering I didn't think I was ever going to wake up to news of a Jay Electronica album.

Maybe a little too much Hova? Or.. like he should be a featured guest for the entire album. Not that I didn't appreciate his appearances but holy shit, he is literally all over this entire record.

Production was cool but no immediate standouts to me.. no Exhibit C's right out the gate if you will. Also - where the fuck is Exhibit C?

Nice that they included Shiny Suit Theory but I wish they'd also included a few more looseys from over the years.

First thoughts?

A lot to digest for sure.. especially considering I didn't think I was ever going to wake up to news of a Jay Electronica album.

Maybe a little too much Hova? Or.. like he should be a featured guest for the entire album. Not that I didn't appreciate his appearances but holy shit, he is literally all over this entire record.

Production was cool but no immediate standouts to me.. no Exhibit C's right out the gate if you will. Also - where the fuck is Exhibit C?

Nice that they included Shiny Suit Theory but I wish they'd also included a few more looseys from over the years.

I was happy to hear shiny suit too but yea definitely could of thrown memories and merlot and better in tune on there at least. Hoping they will eventually clear the samples on some of those and drop em on streaming

just finished the Jay Elec album. now first off I'm not someone who's been actively following his career or waiting on this album, but I'm obviously aware of the legend that is Jay Electronica. that out of the way it's definitely a good album, but like everyone else I'm simply not sure why he chose his debut solo album to be a collaboration album with Jay-Z. I mean, yes, put this album out but make it a collab album like Watch The Throne. further I don't listen to Hov. I don't have any real dislike for him, just somehow never took any time to listen to any of his shit, but I think I prefer Hov's verses more than Elec's... that could change with future listens but even though I like it not sure it's one that I will be coming back to over and over.

just finished the Jay Elec album. now first off I'm not someone who's been actively following his career or waiting on this album, but I'm obviously aware of the legend that is Jay Electronica. that out of the way it's definitely a good album, but like everyone else I'm simply not sure why he chose his debut solo album to be a collaboration album with Jay-Z. I mean, yes, put this album out but make it a collab album like Watch The Throne. further I don't listen to Hov. I don't have any real dislike for him, just somehow never took any time to listen to any of his shit, but I think I prefer Hov's verses more than Elec's... that could change with future listens but even though I like it not sure it's one that I will be coming back to over and over.

I think the problem is.. for me at least, is after this wait... I thought we were going to have an album full of Exhibit C's. (link below in case you haven't heard it before).. and I've listened a few times, and nothing grabs me like that track does. Like ExC has everything... Blaze killing it, Jay killing it. Just everything.. so I set myself up to be disappointed.. but still.

I also do agree that there is too much Hova for a 'debut' album but I have a sneaking suspicion that he might have had to do those to 'finish' the album (pure speculation on my part). We'll see.. again, still need to digest it more.

Back