Hip Hop

Wouldn't be this way if people actually paid for music.

You the weakest link in your squad - Keith Murray... ouch.

Frank fans paid for all the 7" vinyl, myself included. Curren$y has had like 4 physicals drop in the last 9 months. Griselda drops shit every few weeks and it sells out. (re: $60-100 Gildan/Champion hoopies with a cheap printed image)

I think CUZ ppl are paying whatever the price for music n merch, the prices go up.

Frank fans paid for all the 7" vinyl, myself included. Curren$y has had like 4 physicals drop in the last 9 months. Griselda drops shit every few weeks and it sells out. (re: $60-100 Gildan/Champion hoopies with a cheap printed image)

I think CUZ ppl are paying whatever the price for music n merch, the prices go up.

I think my point was I don't think they'd be overcharging as much for wax and merch if they were getting money from their music in the first place.

I think my point was I don't think they'd be overcharging as much for wax and merch if they were getting money from their music in the first place.

Gotcha. Yea I agree the music industry still doesn't pay artists fairly, but that's been the case for ages and I used to be able to get $25 tees and $40 hoodies in the past when artists weren't getting paid still.

I remember when CDs were usually around 7.99 to 11.99 too (like until 2014)

now i see $17 or $ 18.99 USD commonly (even tho CDs r fading)

Gotcha. Yea I agree the music industry still doesn't pay artists fairly, but that's been the case for ages and I used to be able to get $25 tees and $40 hoodies in the past when artists weren't getting paid still.

I remember when CDs were usually around 7.99 to 11.99 too (like until 2014)

now i see $17 or $ 18.99 USD commonly (even tho CDs r fading)

To put this in perspective, it was not unusual for an indie NYC rapper to move 5000 units of some of their records without really being known outside of NY in the mid to late 90s.

It's not so much about the industry not paying as it is fans not paying. It's weird to me that Spotify can justify paying so little to the bread and butter of their business while paying people there well over 100k a year.

If I ran any other kind of business, I can't dictate what my suppliers get paid but with music, I guess you can?

Can you imagine a restaurant where everyone was making over 100k a year claiming they have to pay their suppliers pennies on the dollar otherwise they'd go broke? Cause that's what Spotify and all these over streaming services are saying. It's crap.. anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.

I haven't really listened to Eminem in years so I thought I'd listen to that single from the new album that was posted last night. Confirmed how right I was in not bothering to check any of his music for ages. Not sure how people love it but to each their own.
I agree with you regarding Eminem, but I was just poking around the album just now and while the beat on Godzilla sucks Eminem fucking snaps, especially at the end. pretty crazy.

To put this in perspective, it was not unusual for an indie NYC rapper to move 5000 units of some of their records without really being known outside of NY in the mid to late 90s.

It's not so much about the industry not paying as it is fans not paying. It's weird to me that Spotify can justify paying so little to the bread and butter of their business while paying people there well over 100k a year.

If I ran any other kind of business, I can't dictate what my suppliers get paid but with music, I guess you can?

Can you imagine a restaurant where everyone was making over 100k a year claiming they have to pay their suppliers pennies on the dollar otherwise they'd go broke? Cause that's what Spotify and all these over streaming services are saying. It's crap.. anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.

You are good!!!

I guess if these independent label owners like Curren$y and Frank are charging these prices there is no hope going forward and not remedy in sight. Cuz their fans got them to these price points they dropped today and that's without labels taking chunks of their royalties first.

my response to the new Eminem album can be summed up as such

"k"

Black Thought's verse on "Yah Yah" is the best part of the entire album
Personally I think this is one of Eminems strongest albums in the last 17 years (depending where you sit with 09's Relapse which I love)& Ok maybe for some folk that isnt saying a lot.

I absolutely loved Kamikaze when it dropped but I see that more as a project in the vein of a mixtape than an album. So excluding Kamikaze this is probably his best release post Relapse.

He has dropped that angry accented voice for the most part that irritated me for a long time. The raps as always are clever and impressive but instead of just being a lyrical acrobat in an attempt to prove he is the best rapper he has listened to fan criticism by picking better production, better hooks, better content too.

There are some questionable moments throughout the album which I think we always got with Eminem anyway. It was less obvious way back when he was popular, fans were younger & the highs were extremely high above those lows

I feel in 2020 it's just so easy to dismiss Eminem as a has been it's kinda cool hip and popular to do that without actually giving his musical output a chance first. The album is over an hour long & 20 mins after release ppl were on that internet scoring it zero lol

Please realise None of this is aimed squarely at you, all you said was "k" so don't take it that way at all. Its just you mentioned the Eminem album so I replied. I'm sure you listened to it with a complete open mind and it just wasnt for you & I totally respect your opinion.

For anyone unsure I would say, give it multiple listens with an open mind and there is a lot to be enjoyed. Even on my 3rd day in I'm not comfortable scoring it fully, theres 20 tracks it's a lot to digest and I would most likely trim it down remove some filler but to score it now I would easily say a 3.5/5 maybe I'll move more towards a 4 in time but I wouldnt drop it any lower

That featured verse you speak of in the spoiler is Awesome 🔥🔥🔥 but is it really that high above everything else on the project that absolutely nothing else deserves a mention? To just dismiss the whole album down to one feature? I respect if you feel that way but I think its unfair as there are equally other awesome parts throughout the album too imo

Personally I think this is one of Eminems strongest albums in the last 17 years (depending where you sit with 09's Relapse which I love)& Ok maybe for some folk that isnt saying a lot.

I absolutely loved Kamikaze when it dropped but I see that more as a project in the vein of a mixtape than an album. So excluding Kamikaze this is probably his best release post Relapse.

He has dropped that angry accented voice for the most part that irritated me for a long time. The raps as always are clever and impressive but instead of just being a lyrical acrobat in an attempt to prove he is the best rapper he has listened to fan criticism by picking better production, better hooks, better content too.

There are some questionable moments throughout the album which I think we always got with Eminem anyway. It was less obvious way back when he was popular, fans were younger & the highs were extremely high above those lows

I feel in 2020 it's just so easy to dismiss Eminem as a has been it's kinda cool hip and popular to do that without actually giving his musical output a chance first. The album is over an hour long & 20 mins after release ppl were on that internet scoring it zero lol

Please realise None of this is aimed squarely at you, all you said was "k" so don't take it that way at all. Its just you mentioned the Eminem album so I replied. I'm sure you listened to it with a complete open mind and it just wasnt for you & I totally respect your opinion.

For anyone unsure I would say, give it multiple listens with an open mind and there is a lot to be enjoyed. Even on my 3rd day in I'm not comfortable scoring it fully, theres 20 tracks it's a lot to digest and I would most likely trim it down remove some filler but to score it now I would easily say a 3.5/5 maybe I'll move more towards a 4 in time but I wouldnt drop it any lower

That featured verse you speak of in the spoiler is Awesome 🔥🔥🔥 but is it really that high above everything else on the project that absolutely nothing else deserves a mention? To just dismiss the whole album down to one feature? I respect if you feel that way but I think its unfair as there are equally other awesome parts throughout the album too imo

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I honestly don't think he's had a great album outside of his debut. Yes, every album (I think?) has had joints but his schtick was tired to me already by MMLP and it was more of a 'whoa, Eminem still has it in him' when I'd hear a dope song/verse rather than ohhh shit, he's still got it! Anyway, that's my two cents and I'm also a total hater so take it for what it's worth.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I honestly don't think he's had a great album outside of his debut. Yes, every album (I think?) has had joints but his schtick was tired to me already by MMLP and it was more of a 'whoa, Eminem still has it in him' when I'd hear a dope song/verse rather than ohhh shit, he's still got it! Anyway, that's my two cents and I'm also a total hater so take it for what it's worth.
Nah that's cool I appreciate the honesty. FWIW SSLP my favourite Eminem album (I take it you mean the major label debut not Infinite) also I wouldnt expect you try album number 11 if you were over him that long ago. Really nothing for you here

Eminem’s “Kamikaze” was very average in my opinion. Most of the chorus’ sounded ugly and Eminem’s confrontational raps were just cringy. His “talking to himself” kinda raps just sounded dated and he doesn’t have a good ear for production.

This new album of his is nothing special either. I just rolled my eyes when I heard some of those outdated, saturated, unsoulful chorus’ from Ed Sheeran and Skylar Grey. The production on this album is just so average. What the hell is with Eminem’s moaning, whiny yelling sounding chorus on the track “Farewell”. It sounds so ugly and horrendous! Same with “In Too Deep”, it’s just such a monotone, autotuned, awkward, kind of cheap sounding chorus.

Eminem’s music has just sounded so outdated, formulaic and bland since Relapse. I absolutely love Eminem’s debut studio album though and a lot of the tracks on Marshall Mathers LP, but that’s about it. Eminem’s sarcastic, caracature, animated sound on Relapse is refreshing looking back at it, with the playful production. But that’s about it in terms of Eminem’s 2009 comeback. Everything from his 2010 album onwards has been trash for me.

Eminem just tries wayyyyyy to hard to sound inspiring, anthemic, deep etc. I cannot see Eminem making like a decent album ever again. He just sounds 💩💩💩

Nah that's cool I appreciate the honesty. FWIW SSLP my favourite Eminem album (I take it you mean the major label debut not Infinite) also I wouldnt expect you try album number 11 if you were over him that long ago. Really nothing for you here

Whoops, yeah, I meant major label debut. I also love the SSEP and am really pissed they didn't include Nobody's Iller Than Me on the LP. Not really a fan of Infinite either other than from a look what he became sorta view. And again, not completely over him.. he'll drop a verse or song and it will make me want to check out his stuff again and I just get bored all over again. To each their own and I'm glad people still enjoy his shit but that boat sailed for me a long time ago.

Omg, no, I’m with you! His debut album is incredible. His next album was pretty great, but that’s seriously it, in terms of good/great albums from him!

Back