Hip Hop

My tuppence on Outkast is the only album I fiend for and have on vinyl is OutKast presents… It’s a compilation but it’s just the memories of the next tracks anticipation but it’s all good music.

Also… no clue as to how limited (no numbers) this is but.

Hey, I bought that Wu shirt at Target 😔
There is nothing wrong with that! I was joking about folks who only know that 36 Chambers exists but still rock the Wu Eagle

And @Kr00ked Stankonia is a genius, creative album but I enjoy the more pure hip hop sound they brought on the first three albums. Ain't no thang but a chicken wang brother

It's all subjective, obviously, but ATLiens is number 1 for me. I like dustier production in general and I love Elevators. I remember when that shit came out and it's like being enveloped into a cloud of smoke. Nothing else feels like that song. The title track epitomizes Outkast to me in general.

Aquemini is great, because it showed an interesting evolution in what they were doing; expanding their sound and identity, as opposed to all out abandoning it. I remember seeing the Rosa Parks and Skew It On The Bar-B videos on Rap City back in the day and they were both instantly engaging and stand out cuts at the time. That title track is amazing, too. You knew they were doing something and could, arguably, make it a better overall album, but personal connections and context are difficult things to separate or account for.

I'm not trashing Stankonia, at all, but The Rolling Stone list is clearly made by people who are prioritizing the commercial hits and/or breakout albums, made clear by their reasoning, beyond the placements. Personally, I'd be good with never hearing Ms. Jackson ever again the way that was beat into the ground and that's the major selling point for them. I just don't think it's the second greatest hip hop album of all time.
This was a great take. I agree that Elevators epitomizes the Kast sound.

I personally rank them in the order they came out (Southernplaya, Aliens, Aquemini, Stankonia), I love the raw funky southern sound of the first album even though they definitely advanced creatively and in technical skill on the albums that followed it.

If you are in the Tri-State area and like Joey Bada$$ he just announced on Insta Live just now that on Sunday he is having a concert where he is performing 1999 in its entirety. Ticket link dropping within 47 minutes from now apparently

Back