Guitar pop/power pop/indie pop/chamber pop/twee and sounds related!

It's such a great set of albums they did. I can't think of any good reasons why they're not reissues, other than rights-related issues. Now, the hunt continues for When Your Heartstrings Break...
I had been hoping for The Long Winters reissues and those just got announced, hopefully something like that happens for these.

Hurry from Philadelphia is a band I've listened to a lot the last year.

Great mid-tempo guitar pop/power pop. Their most recent release Don't Look Back (title homage to Teenage Fanclub of course) is one of this year's best in my book. Think Fountains of Wayne, Weezer, Lemonheads and Oasis in addition to Teenage Fanclub.

Hurry from Philadelphia is a band I've listened to a lot the last year.

Great mid-tempo guitar pop/power pop. Their most recent release Don't Look Back (title homage to Teenage Fanclub of course) is one of this year's best in my book. Think Fountains of Wayne, Weezer, Lemonheads and Oasis in addition to Teenage Fanclub.

I love Hurry! but I really only dig their first two albums, Everything/Nothing and Guided Meditation. Every Little Thought is decent but I think they are going almost too cheesy-pop and the songs all sound mostly the same. They had such a good mix of rough around the edges and power pop on those first two. I've listened to Don't Look Back a few times but it's not really doing it for me like the others. It's perfectly nice but it's almost too clean sounding.

I just did a search of this thread and was shocked that The Lemon Twigs haven't been mentioned at all. It's got some serious nostalgic vibes from several different 60s/70s bands with Big Star being most prominent. I feel it's gone under the radar this year a little bit. It's my AOTY as of this moment.

I love Hurry! but I really only dig their first two albums, Everything/Nothing and Guided Meditation. Every Little Thought is decent but I think they are going almost too cheesy-pop and the songs all sound mostly the same. They had such a good mix of rough around the edges and power pop on those first two. I've listened to Don't Look Back a few times but it's not really doing it for me like the others. It's perfectly nice but it's almost too clean sounding.

Yeah, agree that the more recent albums are more polished. But, I kind of love that sort of guitar pop too, so I don't mind. I think maybe Fake Ideas is my favorite, with Don't Look Back very close or equal :)

@wokeupnew The Lemon Twigs are perhaps a bit too 70's style for my liking, but great that you front them here!

Keep those recommendations coming, all!
yeah they are VERY 70s. I didn't link "Ghost Run Free" which is much more power-poppy.

Have you heard of The Beths or Alvvays? I think they're making some of the best Guitar Based pop around right now

I don't think this one's been mentioned in this thread. I keep coming back to this power pop record from last year. Fun stuff.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/235765493

Looks like there's new material out too.

EDIT: @wokeupnew thought of you when I saw this line about their new album: The album was produced and engineered by Brian and Michael D’Addario of The Lemon Twigs at their studio in the East Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.

I don't think this one's been mentioned in this thread. I keep coming back to this power pop record from last year. Fun stuff.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/235765493

Looks like there's new material out too.

EDIT: @wokeupnew thought of you when I saw this line about their new album: The album was produced and engineered by Brian and Michael D’Addario of The Lemon Twigs at their studio in the East Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Oooooh I’ll have to give this a listen!

I follow SW Lauden on Substack. Lots of nice tips there for good stuff.

Latest thing he posted was about Aussie guitar pop'ers Rinehearts. Really nice stuff just up my alley! Jangle-a-luja!

Really digging this Diners album! Short and sharp songs, produced by power pop craftsman Mo Troper.

B6713201-3ADE-40C5-8F19-308A4816F53C.jpeg

I just did a search of this thread and was shocked that The Lemon Twigs haven't been mentioned at all. It's got some serious nostalgic vibes from several different 60s/70s bands with Big Star being most prominent. I feel it's gone under the radar this year a little bit. It's my AOTY as of this moment.

I agree and have a confession: I never really checked out The Lemon Twigs. Maybe it was their aesthetic that for me shouted "glam" in too strong ways, I don't know. I'm a typical 90s indie-head with grey jeans and button-down shirts...

Anyway. Just the past few days I have started to check them out and the album you post here is just absolutely gorgeous. Some really nice live videos of songs from it on Youtube these days. Will dive in further and get the album from my record store this weekend.

I agree and have a confession: I never really checked out The Lemon Twigs. Maybe it was their aesthetic that for me shouted "glam" in too strong ways, I don't know. I'm a typical 90s indie-head with grey jeans and button-down shirts...

Anyway. Just the past few days I have started to check them out and the album you post here is just absolutely gorgeous. Some really nice live videos of songs from it on Youtube these days. Will dive in further and get the album from my record store this weekend.
Oh man, I would've thought this would be up your alley. I really need to dig in to their past records, but this new one is fantastic.

This seems like as good a place as any for this one... did you ever randomly click on a bandcamp link and wonder why no one has ever heard of the group? For me, that happened a couple of weeks ago with this Long Island Railroad EP.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere on this site, but I could be wrong. My kids have been singing Mr. Number One for days.

Back