Guilty Pleasures

It's been a l o n g time since I listened to the whole album, but Shania Twain's “I'm Gonna Getcha Good” because my mom had the UP! CD {yes, the set with both green and red versions} when we were small. A song so packed with barely strung together clichés and then the chorus resolves on such a visual and enigmatic line… :unsure:

I remember a HBO concert that we watched over and over again one summer.

There’s a DVD of Barry live at the Greek Theatre 1978, really good show. It’s cheesy as hell but good stuff on there. He’s not Kurt Cobain or Iggy Pop, but if you want that sort of thing go to those artists. It’s like complaining that cheese isn’t ice cream.

Karen Carpenter has such a voice, Goodbye To Love, with that great guitar solo too, is the one.

I love the Eagles and Styx too. Hell, I bought the Styx vinyl box set not that long ago. 😂

But I agree with everyone else, I dont really care if anyone else likes it. My music is for me and my happiness. Life's to short to think any other way.

I got the Styx vinyl boxset too, but it was very cheap on Sound Of Vinyl, £40 at the most I think

I did get that ABBA box at a cheap price, but I already had all those albums already (some in several versions). :unsure:

Nothing wrong with ABBA. I think they were coming out with their best stuff at the end. The Visitors album along with The Day Before You Came & Under Attack singles were/are incredible

It's been a l o n g time since I listened to the whole album, but Shania Twain's “I'm Gonna Getcha Good” because my mom had the UP! CD {yes, the set with both green and red versions} when we were small. A song so packed with barely strung together clichés and then the chorus resolves on such a visual and enigmatic line… :unsure:

I played this track all the way through @Phaneronic and it’s weirder than I remembered it, in fact all I remembered was the ‘I’m gonna got you good refrain’. That weird slowed down reference to Man I Feel Like A Woman, that strange little keyboard bit that bridges it, that it sounds like a bit of a cut and shunt of 3 different songs in the first minute but by the end the pop logic has righted itself, the weirdly dark music video for what is essential a bright pop song (there’s nothing predatory about Shania, and her sexiness is not that of an S&M dominatrix but your friend’s friendly hot mum). I enjoyed it.

That album is perfect for this thread. Many like the record, but few admit to liking it. ;)
Big Styx fan here, starting with their Wooden Nickel LPs. Kilroy was such a shock at the time because Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, Paradise Theater were huge hits and the band was sometimes listed as being metal (which I didn't agree with at the time), but they were clearly hard rock. Then Kilroy, with its concept, heavy synths and Mr. Roboto was starkly different than the prior LPs. I saw them on the first leg of the Kilroy tour in smaller theaters and it was clear the band was frustated with the amateur stage play concept they were acting out. Kilroy splintered the band and sent them into line up changes and REO Speedwagon joint tours galore until today.

Back