Guilty Pleasures

Sonicpharmacist

I was perusing the Fresh Grabs thread, where @EmeryRK was commenting how record he grabbed was worse than the Spice Girls and Nickleback, and realized there is no thread to confess our deepest, darkest guilty pleasures.

This is a safe space, no ridiculing or mockery. Well, ok, that’s a lie, there will be plenty of mockery,

I’ll go first.

Creed’s Human Clay kicks ass.

Your turn. What do you enjoy that would cause music snobs everywhere to get a little queasy?

I was perusing the Fresh Grabs thread, where @EmeryRK was commenting how record he grabbed was worse than the Spice Girls and Nickleback, and realized there is no thread to confess our deepest, darkest guilty pleasures.

This is a safe space, no ridiculing or mockery. Well, ok, that’s a lie, there will be plenty of mockery,

I’ll go first.

Creed’s Human Clay kicks ass.

Your turn. What do you enjoy that would cause music snobs everywhere to get a little queasy?
If I could afford a copy of Human Clay, it would be mine. Just saying.

I can’t really count Taylor Swift as a guilty pleasure because EVERYONE here knows how much I like her.

I’d say if I had a guilty pleasure...it would be.

Nothing wrong with this song.

I have a soft spot for schmaltzy orchestral 70's pop a la The Carpenters and Barry Manilow.

Karen and Barry are both vocal greats.

Stapp sure went off the deep end since then. Too bad.
True, but he was "eventually forced into a psychiatric facility, and his bipolar disorder, which was misdiagnosed for years, was finally discovered". Add the drugs and alcohol to the mix and ya, that can be a pretty steep cliff. If you're a tool by nature I have no sympathy, but when it's part of a medical problem, you hope they can get the help they need and move forward. A few of us had tickets to tonight's performance at the Arcada Theatre, but I'm smack dab in the middle of my vacation so I passed along my tickets. Curious to hear back about how the show, and more so, how he performed.

I'm there with ya with Barry, he does "write the songs that make the whole world sing" after all ;)

My sister, who is 4 years older than me, was legitimately a big Manilow fan in the late 70's/early 80's when we were growing up. So I heard a LOT of his music coming from her bedroom as a kid. I liked it, but, particularly at that time, and around my friends, there was no chance I would admit to that. These kind of hangups tend to become less important as you grow older. Once you stop caring as much what others think, these guilty pleasures become, well, just other bits of music you enjoy.

My sister, who is 4 years older than me, was legitimately a big Manilow fan in the late 70's/early 80's when we were growing up. So I heard a LOT of his music coming from her bedroom as a kid. I liked it, but, particularly at that time, and around my friends, there was no chance I would admit to that. These kind of hangups tend to become less important as you grow older. Once you stop caring as much what others think, these guilty pleasures become, well, just other bits of music you enjoy.
Agreed, I can probably still sing his entire '77 Live album today without a problem ;)

Back