Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Conversely, what do you think about those of us who are adding $260 carts to our $2k TT? Are we crazy? Cost and performance don't always line up the way you think they will ;)

You've already got me considering going back to Grado once my UltraTracker needs to be replaced in a year or two, and I've only had my StudioDeck for 3 months so far! :) I had a Blue1 on my old custom U-Turn and changed to the 8mz stylus when the original needed to be replaced. Really loved both combos.

@apholden was running a moving coil on his, but I can’t remember which one. He’s running a Grado now.
It was a Denon DL-110 high output moving coil. I paid Amazon about $190. I wanted to see what the hype with moving coils was about, and this one was reasonably priced and compatible with my Uturn's built-in phono pre (if a little quiet).
Ultimately, I decided it was bright, clear, detailed, and lifeless. So I came back to Grado.

As for matching a gold with a Uturn, my gold with its stock stylus is kicking a-- on my Uturn. I've made several upgrades to my system: stylus, cartridge (twice), headphones (more of a sidegrade really), phono preamp, tubes (maybe that was just replacement), speakers and speaker amp (soon™). Through all that, I've never felt like my faithful Uturn was holding me back.

Last edited:
......also, there is something to be said about the "$ Pool", meaning when building a system components in the same price range tend to "fit" better together. I've decided you need to eliminate (IMO) speakers from that equation because the variety and price range for good speakers now a days is amazing. That being said, looking at TT, Phono, Amp and cart, keeping those in the same price pool is a nice rule of thumb to subscribe to.......so going with that formula, adding a $260 cart to your $350 TT isn't out of line.

Conversely, what do you think about those of us who are adding $260 carts to our $2k TT? Are we crazy? Cost and performance don't always line up the way you think they will ;)
my ideas of price to performance and scientific logical pricing is weird

price = better because if not we should fucking burn it down and regulate prices

my ideas of price to performance and scientific logical pricing is weird

price = better because if not we should fucking burn it down and regulate prices

That would make sense if everything was made in the same country under the same conditions or we had completely tariff free imports/exports and worldwide wage equality and ease of access to all raw materials.

For example, the danish made orts that are more expensive in the US than the grados are cheaper here in Europe. I can get a 2m blue stylus for £110 but a Grado Gold/8mz stylus are both £150.

Equally at $600 the table I have is not good as a starter option in the US with the fluance at $500. At £450 it’s a great starter option over here.

Life and maths and even science is far more complicated than that...

That would make sense if everything was made in the same country under the same conditions or we had completely tariff free imports/exports and worldwide wage equality and ease of access to all raw materials.

For example, the danish made orts that are more expensive in the US than the grados are cheaper here in Europe. I can get a 2m blue stylus for £110 but a Grado Gold/8mz stylus are both £150.

Equally at $600 the table I have is not good as a starter option in the US with the fluance at $500. At £450 it’s a great starter option over here.

Life and maths and even science is far more complicated than that...

And that’s not taking into account clever design, deliberate design choices that affect sonics to the designers taste, economies of scale etc etc etc

More expensive does not always equal better, even, weirdly, within any individual companies product line.

Try not to get too hung up on price. Sometimes, price reflects quality. Sometimes, it reflects rareness. Sometimes, something is over-engineered. Sometimes, it's the cachet of having the hot brand. Sometimes, it's just a scam.
Also, don't forget the two most important words when evaluating good, better, and best: "for you." What option is best for you? For example, open-back headphones are generally considered "the best" and are priced accordingly. However, they become worthless if you live with people who don't want to hear the sound leakage from them. It's not that the "best" label was wrong or a lie or something. It's that the reviewer assigned it using his own requirements, which may or may not match yours.
Also, let's not deny this. Price needs to be a factor in deciding the best for you, not only because of disposable income, but also because of the use case. Consider my Grado headphones. I adore them and listen to them every day. Would I buy a pair for a toddler? ---- NO! Fragile things don't last long around young children, and I'm not giving him a $2000 toy to destroy within a day.

that is the plan

13077098_1000710453299806_3909471832934059033_n.jpg

@RichGrado , what would one expect to hear, gain moving from the Statement Platinum 2, to lets say, a Statement Series Sonata 2? I love your carts, plain and simple. I love that, in my opinion, they deliver way above the price point compared to others............and I'm a big fan of that Grado warmth. I'll admit I get a bit "itchy" moving into the over $400 dollar range because of that "bang for your buck" formula. So if you have any words of wisdom concerning that comparison it would help my anxiety, lol.

Back