Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

Question

Is it common for grado cartridges to kinda bounce even first being put on the record, like I feel like it jumps a bit too slightly after the beginning unless I'm super careful

Question

Is it common for grado cartridges to kinda bounce even first being put on the record, like I feel like it jumps a bit too slightly after the beginning unless I'm super careful
Have you adjusted your counterweight and VTF? Do you have a cue lever? Mine doesn't bounce at all when I use it.

Question

Have you adjusted your counterweight and VTF? Do you have a cue lever? Mine doesn't bounce at all when I use it.

The prestige series have a bit of a reputation for bouncing. My gold never bounced when I was dropping the needle but it often would when raising it. I always use the cueing lever for both.

Have you adjusted your counterweight and VTF?
it was already preset from Uturn themselves
Do you have a cue lever?
yes

I think the issue is now that the U-turn tonearm is not really that good for a cartridge as light as a grado, since this seems to be a common problem where you basically need a heavier tonearm

Last edited:

yes

I think the issue is now that the U-turn tonearm is not really that good for a cartridge as light as a grado, since this seems to be a common problem where you basically need a heavier tonearm
To echo @dude's comment, I bought a U-Turn with the Grado Black installed and it was fantastic, I swapped it out for a Grado Gold and it was even better, then I upgraded the stylus to a 8MZ and it was phenomenal. I'm not sure where the "common" problem is, if you have an older Orbit the tone arm is designed to handle carts up to 6g and the newer ones up to 7.2g........a Grado Black is 5.5g.

yes

Does your cue lever let it down in a smooth motion or does it just drop? It’s possible your lever isn’t working right.

Sounds like you may need to bump the tracking force up a bit.

Grado says 1.5g, but a lot of people run 1.6-1.8.

I run right around 1.7

Uturn cue levers need a certain technique. To lower it, try giving it a gentle nudge just until it starts to lower on its own. Then take your finger off and let it drop at its own pace.

It was time for a new 8MZ for my Grado Gold (don't even know what # it is...probably a 1), so I just went with a Grado Timbre Opus3 instead.

Can an 8MZ be used on an Opus3?

Kind of right... No, styli can not be changed or repaired on any of the wood cartridges that we offer. We don't have a new model every year, I believe the v2 was 3 years ago. The discount on a retip/upgrade/exchange is usually more than 30%, but that is always subject to change... ;)

I meant more that we’re all mega spinners and wear at least one stylus out every year and need a new one lol!

Most of you are way up the ladder of Grado. I want to give a shout out for the lower tier. I have had my U Turn Plus with its standard Ortofon OM 5E a year and needed a new stylus. Rather than moving up the OM line stylus wise I ordered a Black 3. Super easy swap and loving it. 8 MZ maybe some day. Then there is the Grado story, family, NYC, USA !. After reading about them I just had to order a pair of SR 80 headphones. They are fantastic too.
Thanks for putting up with me and have a fun and safe 4th of July !

Back