Grado Cartridges and Stylus - Questions and Advice.

I've been through Ham radio and photography so this isn't anything different.

That's why I have a (wifi) laser printer at home, it doesn't dry out and a toner will last several years.

First post here, folks. I've been reading this entire thread for the past couple of days and almost caught up. I'm seriously getting into vinyl now and have yet to decide on a Fluance or U-Turn (custom). My ears don't discern as much as some of you so I'm OK with a sub-$500 TT, and so is my wife. I'm leaning toward a U-Turn with a Black3 preinstalled (both made in USA). My vinyl collection is practically nothing (pretty old stuff given to me by my parents, mostly 50's to 70's) so am on Discogs checking things out. I've learned a lot via forums in the last two weeks including here.

We're in our lower 50's and have one room with the TV and audio stuff in it. I'll need to get a new table/cabinet to house the TT and Yamaha receiver (5.1). Speakers consist of Harman Kardon bookshelf on stands, HK 10" sub and HK surrounds on stands behind the sofa. I do have Sennheiser HD280 PRO closed over the ear headphones. All I need is a decent TT. I have an old Technics from the 80's which is just the cheap model though I did add an AT85EP cartridge to it (P-mount). Nothing is adjustable on it. I could've gotten a Grado P-mount but that's pretty much lipstick on a pig, I need a better TT.

This thread has solidified my choice by going with Grado.

Hopefully Monday I'll have some used LP's arrive. They are the first four from Foreigner. Supertramp Breakfast, the first from Boston and Van Halen. None of them are 180 gram and didn't cost much, all of them are VG+ at least. Until I get the proper setup, which hopefully will only take another month, I'll be content with those.

I'll keep watching this thread for sure. Sorry to be long winded.
Welcome! I have limited Grado experience before today, but so far so good! I would recommend buying direct from them if you buy a cartridge! It seems to be the same price as elsewhere and you get to support them directly!

My buddy got a Fluance recently as his intro turntable and likes it a lot. I also know lots of people with the U-Turn so I think either choice should be good depending on the model and customizations you do with the U-Turn. As @wmeugene said, it's probably a good move to get an external preamp and you can always upgrade that later. I think the U-Turn will give you some good options in terms of an upgrade path later. As I'm sure you're aware, it can be a very expensive hobby, so I wouldn't go all out until you get your basic set up done and make sure you use it enough to dive deeper. I have a few friends who spent quite a lot of money on their setup and don't even spin records anymore. And on the other hand, I have a bunch of friends who had started off with some good gear but had a clear upgrade path and have been slowly upgrading different elements and separates after realizing that they still spin a lot of records.

All in all, it's a really fun (and expensive) hobby so enjoy your foray into it! You seem to be doing all the right things so far with doing lots of research before rushing into buying something.

Looking at the custom, they can install the Pluto or can get one separate. I like what the Mofi PhonoStage has to offer so thinking separate and upgrade later. Yeah, I would get the U-Turn with acrylic platter and cue lever. I'm still reading and learning, taking people's experience and suggestions before pulling the trigger. RT85 is also there, no decision yet.
I'd definitely get the Pluto separate. Having upgrades to look forward to is always nice.

Looking at the custom, they can install the Pluto or can get one separate. I like what the Mofi PhonoStage has to offer so thinking separate and upgrade later. Yeah, I would get the U-Turn with acrylic platter and cue lever. I'm still reading and learning, taking people's experience and suggestions before pulling the trigger. RT85 is also there, no decision yet.

EDIT: Just read that the Fluance is made in Taiwan. I'm one of those that likes the option to buy USA products if possible. The RT85 and Orbit Custom are fairly similar so unless my mind can be changed I'll go with the Orbit.

Welcome!

Don’t buy a Pluto, either internal or external. It’s a dog. Spend a few dollars more for a Schiit Mani. The MoFi StudioPhono is an even better choice.

And go Fluance: much better speed stability and easy speed changes.

Edit: @Not_Dave I see you’ve decided on a Grado Black. Don’t go Fluance: you’ll need spacers to fit it and end up with an unused Ortofon.

Whatcha think of the criticism that the cartridges don't track well

I mentioned on a hifi forum I was getting an upgrade from the black to red and he mentioned how the uneven channels and the tracking is bad.. telling me to at least get a silver for more coils or a goldring 1006 for a more detailed cartridge

Whatcha think of the criticism that the cartridges don't track well

I mentioned on a hifi forum I was getting an upgrade from the black to red and he mentioned how the uneven channels and the tracking is bad.. telling me to at least get a silver for more coils or a goldring 1006 for a more detailed cartridge
I think it pairs with different tone arms differently (like most cartridges). Others can probably speak to it more informatively than I can, but from what I have seen, it seems to pair with lighter tone arms better?

Are the screws that mount the cartridge M2.5? Thats what I could glean online, my replacement screw kit from Grado seems to be in USPS limbo, so I was looking at ordering a replacement set so I wasn't out of commission for a few weeks. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions! Sounds like a fun project to take on sometime this weekend when I have some time to dedicate to it. Will keep y'all posted. :D
Heard back from the guy I had emailed a while back and figured I might as well take him up on his offer, so I drove over to his shop this morning and had him replace the cartridge.

Back at home now and breaking the cartridge in with some Steely Dan records. Sounds great now, can’t wait to hear what it’ll be like after it’s had time to break in a bit.

I had purchased the Gold2/3 for the same reason that some others have, which is the convenience of a user-replaceable stylus. Will probably go for the 8mz after I wear out the current needle, but that’s a ways away so for now I’m content to chill and enjoy everything I already have.

Heard back from the guy I had emailed a while back and figured I might as well take him up on his offer, so I drove over to his shop this morning and had him replace the cartridge.

Back at home now and breaking the cartridge in with some Steely Dan records. Sounds great now, can’t wait to hear what it’ll be like after it’s had time to break in a bit.

I had purchased the Gold2/3 for the same reason that some others have, which is the convenience of a user-replaceable stylus. Will probably go for the 8mz after I wear out the current needle, but that’s a ways away so for now I’m content to chill and enjoy everything I already have.

If I may ask- how much did he charge you?

If I may ask- how much did he charge you?
$30, which I was fine with paying. Seemed reasonable, especially in the current environment where coming into contact with people at all carries an inherent health/safety risk.

He mentioned that he didn’t charge for installations of any items purchased directly from his shop, which makes sense and is a nice perk for any purchases in the future, but this particular cartridge was gifted to me from elsewhere.

My tracking is 1.68, listened to an older inexpensive Beatles album and it sounded fine and tracked ok. I presume that means it is correct?
That's about what I have my Blue at. Just listen for things like distortion or right and left channel being unbalanced. Also any new tracking issues that started when you installed it.

My tracking is 1.68, listened to an older inexpensive Beatles album and it sounded fine and tracked ok. I presume that means it is correct?

Yeah approx 1.65 is where you want it. Can’t see the needle front on the pics to fully tell but otherwise it looks right. If there was something wrong it’s be pretty obvious through your speakers.

Back