"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

Looking to incorporate less meat into my diet so I made this alternative to chicken shawarma. It didn’t say in the recipe if the tofu was supposed to be crunchy just golden. I might try cooking it in the air fryer next time. Overall pretty pleased with the flavors and would definitely make this again.

View attachment 198892

That is a lot tomato paste. I might sub out 1 tsp tomato paste and add 1 tsp harissa.

Last edited:
Is there an advantage that you like in that style over the grate in a normal kettle grill?
The fat seems to drip faster making the meat "leaner". Also, added smoke ring to the meat. It's a slow cooking technique if you keep an eye on the fire. We use charcoal at the bottom and it can cook for 3 to 4 hours depending on the size of the cut.

Edit: not my picture but you'll get the idea of how we do it. Pictured tri-tip, chorizo, and ribs.

1000164782.jpg

What are those thermometers and do you like them?

Edit: or are they just hooks? I assumed they were probe thermometers.
Yes, those are stainless hooks. The barrel does a good job regulating temps - you have to set the opening at the bottom of the barrel correctly. The meat drips into the coals providing extra flavor to the smoke. Easiest smoker to run and clean - I have tried them all except for the pellet style. It's also the only smoker that I bought a replacement after wearing out the first one.....

Back