Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

Thanks @imtheocean for making this a wonderful holiday season!

Also, thanks to all that led and/or participated in a Challenge Thread in 2023. Looking forward to what 2024 brings us all.

@scotthilk is gonna kick of the New Year by leading the January thread. Look forward to seeing what everyone’s spinning over there.

Cheers!
Great thread and prompts! Nice job @imtheocean

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

Beck - Sea Change

I can tell you that in 2002, a lushly-produced acoustic-based album of sad Beck was a bit of a curve ball.

1000073355.jpg

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

Caroline Polachek - Desire I Want to Turn into You

Some of the best jams of the year on this one.

1000073218.jpg

P.S. Thanks to @imtheocean and Happy New Year to all!

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.
1704143753515.png
German indie band Die Sterne have the perfect new years eve song on this with " das bisschen besser" with a refrain that turns the desperate feelings of its protagonist on new years eve into a reluctant call to action : " there is no reason to wait till things get better, that little bit better is not worth the wait"

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

Walter Schreifels - An open letter to the scene
1704145655906.png
So this was hard so it comes after the 31st. Walter Schreifels was of is in Youth of today, Gorilla Biscuits, Quicksand, CIV and rival schools but his solo album is a different beast and although he plays a couple of acoustic punk covers its unlike your usual punk singer goes acoustic albums and more endebted to a 60s folk rock tradition

12/29 - Seinfeld: Festivus is the traditional airing of grievances. Play an album that was used to air a grievance.

Run The Jewels "Run The jewels 2" (2014 Mass Appeal; 2022 reissue)
A couple grievances and disses aired out on this one. This was a PIF from @zdkaiser - thanks again man, this sounds excellent.

IMG_0790.JPG

Last edited:

Snoop Dogg "Bush" (2015 Doggy Style Records)
Snoop taking a step back from the g-funk and going full out electro-boogie-funk and soul on this one, with awesome guest spots by Stevie Wonder, Charlie Wilson, Kendrick, T.I. and even includes a genuine "Gwen" version. Snoop is not only a unique rapper but is damn good as a funk singer.

IMG_0791.JPG

Electric Light Orchestra "Out Of The Blue" (1977 jet Records; 2016 reissue)
I didn't make a NYE playlist, but if I did, I'd find some room for an ELO track. Maybe "Turn To Stone" or "Mr. Blue Sky". Spinning this also makes for a good call-back to Guardians and the mixtape challenge from last year. Plus this was the record I sent as a prize at the end of that challenge. Happy new year again, everyone!

IMG_0792.JPG

We hosted a little soiree for NYE, our annual gathering and jam session. I started the evening with these two records as I prepared food and greeted people...

IMG_6800.JPG

Thanks for running December @imtheocean - loved the prompts!

Back